What 1 3/4" Nut Guilds would you recommend

PittPastor

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about putting my Mark II classical up for sale, and getting a new guitar to practice Travis Picking on. (Yeah, I know, I can do that on any guitar... but this way I can get a new one...)

I'm looking into 1-3/4" nut width Guilds. I see the new "Westerly" collection's OM-120 and M-120 are both 1-3/4" nut. Seems like a good guitar for the money -- if I can get over the fact that by "Westerly" they mean "Keep going Westerly for about 7000 miles, and they are made right there!"

But if I wanted to shop vintage for a good "Travis" Guild... what models should I keep in mind?

TIA!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The New Hartford "Standard" series F-30, et al. have, I believe, 1-3/4" nuts, as opposed to the "Traditional" series.

I'm sure others will chime in with other models.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You can do vintage as many models from Westerly were spec'd at 1 11/16ths but we've often discussed the amount of variance from that specification. Both my Westerly, RI Guilds from 1994 caliper at 1 3/4" as have the guitars of several other members. So, take a caliper with you! You might just be surprised!! :encouragement:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
But if I wanted to shop vintage for a good "Travis" Guild... what models should I keep in mind?

TIA!

I'd go right for the throat:

8473183376_2697c4d322_b.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Both my Westerly, RI Guilds from 1994 caliper at 1 3/4" as have the guitars of several other members. So, take a caliper with you! You might just be surprised!! :encouragement:

Let's clarify that those were all reported in "DV" type guitars, with your D65s probably sneaking in by virtue of being a custom.
Now that I think about it, was Walrus' D64 one of 'em too?
Let's say they were all reported in dreadnoughts clustered from late '92'94 IIRC.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cv-1’s and 2’s as well as Co-1’s and 2’s at least I think there all the same I know cv-1 is a 1 3/4

I’m thinking of selling my cv-1 but dang it’s hard to let go lol

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
MY 93 JF100NT-CRV has a 1.75" nut so that blows the "Dreadnought Only" theory out of the water. The Guild Orpheum Custom Shop line (2013-2014) of 14 fret Slope Dread models and the Guild Orpheum Jumbo all share a 1.75" nut width but they command a pretty penny on the used market. Also made in New Hartford the F30 Standard and F30R standard models as well as their cutaway versions had 1.75" nut width. You can normally find those used in Excellent shape from $750-$1100 on Reverb, Craigslist, or Ebay. Make sure it is a F30 Standard though as the F30 Aragon and Traditional series F30's all had 1-11/16" nut widths. The label will be marked "F30 STD" or "F30 Standard" on the 1.75" models. Hope that helps.

One other thing is my F50, and F50R's from New Hartford were all spec'ed to have 1-11/16" nut widths but all of them are considerably wider and while they are not a full 1.75" nut width they are a lot closer to 1.75" than they are 1-11/16".

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
MY 93 JF100NT-CRV has a 1.75" nut so that blows the "Dreadnought Only" theory out of the water.
Who said dreadnoughts only?
Did I say dreadnougts only?
Of coursenought.
I know better than that, these days.
Put sum whup-*** back in your motor and transmission.
Boy howdy.
:glee:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Hey, while I'm at it asking Guild value questions... can anyone explain to me why a GUILD GAD is priced used for about the price of the new M-120 and OM-120?

Both Guild guitars made in China. Both solid wood construction... I don't understand...? I've read such mixed reviews of GADs. But their resale seems high to me. Anyone care to educate me on that?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey, while I'm at it asking Guild value questions... can anyone explain to me why a GUILD GAD is priced used for about the price of the new M-120 and OM-120?

Both Guild guitars made in China. Both solid wood construction... I don't understand...? I've read such mixed reviews of GADs. But their resale seems high to me. Anyone care to educate me on that?

Greed and avarice, the staples of internet selling.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is so wrong. (Not your post, but that they did that to the M-20.)

have u played one? i like it! sounds like a Hoboken but different beast entirely feel wise. I think it was a good move, in order to sell some new guitars, it doesn't compete as much with the 1 5/8 and 1 11/16 vintage models already "out there." it does a little but not as much as it would, if it were identical to one of those configurations. Some people will only play 1 3/4 necks. and the only short scale M-20 prior to this was 1 5/8, so is a game changer very much in that regard. Credit where credit is due, Oxnard has not been perfect, definitely doing things their own way, but you can say that about any company or individual. Overall the new M-20 in my opinion is a success. I will always think it should cost about 30 percent or so less than the Martin equivalent, simply because that has always been part of Guild's charm (and also Oxnard is still a little green at churning out the USA Guilds). Not sure how much the present Martin "OO satin" currently costs... the Guild is probably a little too close in street price currently for my personal comfort level, but other than that, I like it. look for a hot black friday deal on one!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the Martin OO-15M is $1,299.00 and the Guild M-20 Natural/Mahogany is also $1,299.00. I realize they are apples and oranges, different beasts entirely, and there are a lot less of the Guilds being made...but they should not be the same price.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
have u played one? i like it! sounds like a Hoboken but different beast entirely feel wise. I think it was a good move, in order to sell some new guitars, it doesn't compete as much with the 1 5/8 and 1 11/16 vintage models already "out there." it does a little but not as much as it would, if it were identical to one of those configurations. Some people will only play 1 3/4 necks. and the only short scale M-20 prior to this was 1 5/8, so is a game changer very much in that regard. Credit where credit is due, Oxnard has not been perfect, definitely doing things their own way, but you can say that about any company or individual. Overall the new M-20 in my opinion is a success. I will always think it should cost about 30 percent or so less than the Martin equivalent, simply because that has always been part of Guild's charm (and also Oxnard is still a little green at churning out the USA Guilds). Not sure how much the present Martin "OO satin" currently costs... the Guild is probably a little too close in street price currently for my personal comfort level, but other than that, I like it. look for a hot black friday deal on one!
I likes 'em skinny.

Neal

Reaction score
I am always on the lookout for a nice used F-30R from New Hartford. There was one on Reverb a while back, and I should have pulled the trigger, but hesitated.

I do not currently own a spruce/rosewood guitar. Shameful.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Who said dreadnoughts only?
Did I say dreadnougts only?
Of coursenought.
I know better than that, these days.
Put sum whup-*** back in your motor and transmission.
Boy howdy.
:glee:

I'm sorry Al, I mistook your post that you made earlier.
Also it is "We Put the YEE-HAW back in your motor and transmission." I hate it when amateurs get it mixed up. Feel free to come on down and we can put the nut back in the shell you flippin' Pistachio! LOL:tongue:

Don't make me call Bluesy to straighten you out.

TX

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am always on the lookout for a nice used F-30R from New Hartford. There was one on Reverb a while back, and I should have pulled the trigger, but hesitated.

I do not currently own a spruce/rosewood guitar. Shameful.

Your just a very dry wood person lol 😜