Number on the back of the head of a D25

Reaction score
The label fell out of my D25, I thought I'd put it somewhere safe to glue back in the next time I changed the strings but... Looking at the back of the head I found the number 209591 impressed into the wood right at the top above the machine heads. It doesn't match any of the listed serial numbers. Can anyone tell me what it means and if I bought my guitar in 1980 or 81?

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
First post WELCOME TO LTG and welcome to the wonderful world of Guild serial number mysteries!
Stay tuned for more thoughts along those lines and others. We stay pretty busy here.
:peaceful:

*We'd love to see pics of your D25....we love pics!

Joe

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Does the label have a SN ?

Reaction score
Thanks you, I must have bought it the winter of 79/80. I took a couple of photos but can't work out how up upload them!

Reaction score
I've lost the label and the number on the head didn't match any I could find on Guild's website serial number link

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
A guitar from that period should have a date ink-stamped on the neck block. Look inside the soundhole at the beveled edge of the neck block. This would be the date that the body of the guitar was completed. Often times this date can be six months to a year before you purchased the guitar in a retail store. Welcome to the LTG Forum!

Bill

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oops my bad , I thought it fell out and he put back in somewhere safe . I doesn’t matter if I read drunk or after being sober for weeks I still screw it up .....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oops my bad , I thought it fell out and he put back in somewhere safe . I doesn’t matter if I read drunk or after being sober for weeks I still screw it up .....
Well, to be fair, yes, labels always had the s/n but were probably better used to ID the model of guitar they were in, and the finish color.
A Sunburst guitar with a "D25NT" (Natural) label would most likely be a re-fin.
Assuming it wasn't one of those classic cases of label error.
:glee:

(Don't think we've actually seen a finish color error yet, though)

A guitar from that period should have a date ink-stamped on the neck block. Look inside the soundhole at the beveled edge of the neck block. This would be the date that the body of the guitar was completed. Often times this date can be six months to a year before you purchased the guitar in a retail store. Welcome to the LTG Forum!

Bill

Bill admittedly I don't recall for sure but I think they didn't start putting 'em on neck blocks til later. But for our new member's edification, before that they could be found on inside of top, sometimes right on a brace, and same issue of timing would apply. Typically guitars weren't actually completed until a couple to a few weeks after that stamp was applied.
But it's a good way to know what date the guitar couldn't possibly be older than.

Last edited: