Judy Collins' F-312

gilded

Reaction score
I remember seeing that guitar in the auction ad. I really thought about buying it. I have a great luthier and it would have been fun to do. But having Frank Ford do it is wonderful, so I'm really glad I didn't have to run up the winning bid for the current owner!

I saw Judy in person one day when I was around 18, in a friend's rambling apartment in NYC. I had walked through a series of rooms looking for someone and rather quickly walked round a corner into another room. A woman was sitting there in a chair. She looked up at me alertly as I passed by. I turned my head as I walked by and looked at her, too. She had the most extraordinary blue eyes. It was overwhelming.

I think I smiled, but surely I nodded my head as I walked away from her down another hallway. I found the person I was looking for:
"Who is that woman?", I remember asking.
"That's Judy Collins! The Singer."
"Oh," I said, nodding my head.

Doing the math, if I was 18, she would have been around 32. I'm 64 now and have never seen eyes like that again.

Good night, folks,

Harry/gilded

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great story Harry. Thanks for sharing that one.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That was an enjoyable read! Thanks for posting Chris. It's a great example of a luthier/craftsman taking the time to properly restore a old "road warrior" and make it playable once again. Great photos of the process, too.

Bill

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Mmmm

jybookcover.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for posting that, Chris. That was very enjoyable. And a great story, Harry!! I'll be seeing Judy and Stephen Stills this Saturday night at the Smith Center in concert. Should be a very good time!! :encouragement:

p.s. - they have a new album out together. Here's the only song I've heard from it. Sounds lovely.

idealassets

Reaction score
What do you do with a basket case of a Guild 12 string? Well, if it's Judy Collins' you restore it. Here's the story in the latest Fretboard Journal.
https://www.gryphonstrings.com/restoring-judy-collins-guild-12-string/
Thank you so much for posting this! Now I know where to go to get some real work done. I wanted similar work to get done on an F612 that I once owned, but most lutheris would not (could not) do it for me. They would only perform some touch up work, which was not what I asked them to do. I scrapped the project and sold the guitar off in order that another owner could perhaps find a luthier that would be up to the task.

So if I ever get another opportunity to get some work done on a guitar with some great potential I'll be all in for it.

idealassets

Reaction score
I have the Sweet Judy Blue Eyes book, and it is a great read. Her recollections of the 60's and 70's scene are very vivid and detailed. She had a most interesting view point on it all.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom, thanks - did not know about this! Beautiful rendition of the song... getting the album for sure!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
What a beauty, the -312 is one I would still like to add to my stable, they come up for sale once in awhile but big $$$.

Judy is still beautiful as always. "Someday Soon" is one of my favorite songs to play and sing

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
What a beauty, the -312 is one I would still like to add to my stable, they come up for sale once in awhile but big $$$.

Judy is still beautiful as always. "Somewhere Soon" is one of my favorite songs to play and sing
Isn't the song "Someday Soon"?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The spouse and I saw her a couple of years ago at The Levoy Theater in Millville, NJ. The first song or two occasioned some sidelong glances between patrons. But, once she was warmed up, the crystal purity of her tone was right there in all of its chills-inducing splendor. She was promoting her "Strangers Again" CD - a worthwhile listen.

She was complaining about not being able to keep her 12-string in tune, and was told (from the back of the theater by her guitar tech) that they had just changed the strings that morning. Ms. Collins was not pleased, and let her tech know that for all of us to hear.

Her new album with Stephen Stills ("Everybody Knows") is also worth a listen. Looking forward to davismanLV's report after Saturday's concert.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha, yeah I revised it to "Someday Soon," I was thinking one thing and typing another...OFS, old fart syndrome.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The spouse and I saw her a couple of years ago at The Levoy Theater in Millville, NJ. The first song or two occasioned some sidelong glances between patrons. But, once she was warmed up......
I've seen her perform before and even in some recordings she can be a tad "pitchy" and it can frustrate. This seems to have gotten better as she's aged but.... we will see. I'll try and hold the askance looks for a while......