Gibson Dumping Guitars?

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmmm...https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-selling-memphis-factory-bye-bye-beale-street/

Only shop where they charge you to take the factory tour...not that it wasn't good, guide and employee's were great...but after the lobby the inside could have
been in a factory video from the 1890's...damn, how do they work without any light?

Steve, if I saw Marcelli's LP in front of me, I might almost spring for that! Just missing the place pickguard...

Mine.

vuujSbe.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think the low price on these is due to Henry J's desire to compete with pacrim stuff as much as these guitars sat in Sam Ash's warehouse for a couple of years. These feel different from a classic Gibby, so l hear, but l like the wider fretboard. To me, this is the equivalent of a Telecaster - barebones. The G-Force was an error, but you can bend the pee out of it without getting blood on the fingerboard.

marcellis

Reaction score
I don't think the low price on these is due to Henry J's desire to compete with pacrim stuff as much as these guitars sat in Sam Ash's warehouse for a couple of years. These feel different from a classic Gibby, so l hear, but l like the wider fretboard. To me, this is the equivalent of a Telecaster - barebones. The G-Force was an error, but you can bend the pee out of it without getting blood on the fingerboard.

Let's see: In 2017, I've acquired 3 new Gibsons. 1 SG for a son and 2 LP's for myself. For those 3 new Gibsons, I spent less than one-thousand dollars.

Maybe Henry J. is dumping. Dunno. It's a good time to be a buyer though.

Only the Special (like you have), has the wider neck. It has a titanium nut too - which I like.

(*BTW, I'll take your G-Force if you don't want it BTW. I'll pay removal and shipping. I'll even send you the manual Klusons from my Les Paul Faded. I want to put G-Force on it too.)

All 3 are keepers. The SG I got for a son and the Les Paul both have very nice necks - especially the Les. I took it to my local guy who diagnosed the ailments on the NS Starfire III (cleared by inspector #11 at the Korean factory). He hardly touched it. He said it already had a nice set up.

The P90's LP Special does have the wider neck. But I can navigate it fine. Fretwork is very nice, as is the binding and the titanium nut. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to use a guitar that sounds like a Tele. You're correct in your conclusion about that one.

This Les is a nice guitar. A bit heavy @ 6.5 lbs. But I really like it. It lives in the gold case that came with the Special. 490 R&T pick-ups.
The price was really right on this one $0.

Sweetwater replaced the Korean NS SF 3 with it and gave me a $150 credit for my trouble.
fetch

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll pass on the Klusons. I need to keep the G-force in case there is a warranty issue. If the neck goes bad and the robotuners aren't installed, screwholes in the peghead void the warranty on the entire guitar. The hipshots require no drilling so Henry can't avoid responsibility. I had a similar shot of my guitar on the setup bench, but the trussrod was loose.

Last edited:

marcellis

Reaction score
FTR, almost all of the blow-out Gibsons are solid-body electrics. Archtops and acoustics aren't discounted at all from what I can see, except for the ES Les Paul CME is blowing out for $900.

For example, the 2014 SGM's Sam Ash is still selling.

I need to keep the G-force in case there is a warranty issue. If the neck goes bad and the robotuners aren't installed, screwholes in the peghead void the warranty on the entire guitar. The hipshots require no drilling so Henry can't avoid responsibility.

You have the titanium or brass nut? I had the brass nut but changed it out for the titanium.

Gibson is always "dumping guitars," that's the only time i've ever bought one. and I own several, since around 2001.
i like the jrs and melody makers from the USA shop. the custom shop stuff is too overpriced (but the VOS LP Jr is real nice!).

I had one I wasn't in love with. served me well for about 5 years, then seemingly had some major neck issues, and I traded it. I still wouldnt call it a dog, but something about it wasnt perfect. just needed some love I guess. the rest have all been gold.

Yup. One of my sons bought a new SG about 12 years ago for $700 w/hsc. Frets were like railroad ties.
These new blow-out Gibsons are all PLEK'd. Nice fretwork on every one I've played - including the 2015 I bought for him.

Gibson operates on a model-year basis. For that reason, NOS guitars from previous model years lose value as a new line is introduced.

When l was building coffee vending machines for RMI, our biggesst competition were our old machines. You could get a usable forty years of service out of one of the mechanical jobs. Same with a Les Paul.

I think that is part of the puzzle - no doubt.

OK then we need a guitar with a built-in upgradable smart phone, that does Rockstar one better by playing itself from the dizzying quantities of iTunes available for download.
And you need an electric version as well.

I think the root cause of Gibson's decline is the poor design of their vibrators.
I got that from a few Craigslist ads, and I think it's credible enough for me to share with you.
You're welcome.

+10

Then why is the Gibson Girl smiling?

poster-ein-gibson-maedchen-1476817.jpg

+100

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
You never know where or when a good price might occur.

I picked up my 2012 LP Special brand new for $450 from Amazon. Gloss nitro wine red finish, bound fretboard, those lovely P90s, and not a flaw anywhere. I'm still amazed by that one every time I pull it out of the case!

marcellis

Reaction score
FWIW, my local guitar tech (the gent who discovered my NS Starfire III was about to implode*) emailed me this.

Big shake-up at Gibson? I take all my guitars to him.

It is a good time to be a buyer. Bad time for sellers I suspect.
----

(*Inspected by #11 at the Korean factory.)

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fortunately for our sweetheart the Gibson Girl, #11 was fully conversant with the principles elucidated in this article:

http://precast.org/2010/05/the-proper-use-of-vibrators/

I find this to be the most pertinent response to the OP's question vis a vis the proper use of vibrators:
"[FONT=&quot]John, do you own or are you renting your vibrators? If renting I would get a 3″ head with a 20 ft. whip. This would eliminate the second vibrator ” IF” you have an experienced vibrator hand."

[/FONT]
Insightful.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I find this to be the most pertinent response to the OP's question vis a vis the proper use of vibrators:
"[FONT="]John, do you own or are you renting your vibrators? If renting I would get a 3″ head with a 20 ft. whip. This would eliminate the second vibrator ” IF” you have an experienced vibrator hand."

[/FONT]
Insightful.

And assuming that hand hasn't been stretched out by excessive neck widths.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To get back to topic: got a FB post from my local GC that they have a special promotion with 0% interest for 48 months, on Gibsons over $850.
They REALLY want to sell some.