Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M85 Red

Blog Entries

Your album has a lot of pictures. I pulled this one out to make the discussion easier but there is no guarantee that there is not a better one in the album.

To me that looks like a picture of a M85 I bass made between 1967 and 1971. The presence of the curved bridge and the tone switch suggests no earlier than (mid) 1967. It is clearly the hollow body version (binding present) of the M85 and those were phased out by 1972 when the solid body version appeared. The case looks period correct and the pickup appears to be the original Bisonic.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

that thing looks real nice! my friend, that is a treasure u have buried under your bed all of these years. Very valuable and hard to find Guild. Serial number is BB 216. I believe it to be a 1968 or 69 build. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    that thing looks real nice! my friend, that is a treasure u have buried under your bed all of these years. Very valuable and hard to find Guild. Serial number is BB 216. I believe it to be a 1968 or 69 build. cheers!
    I almost said wow I never even knew they made those until I realized it must be in Hans' book but I never really took note.
    Somehow that pic really hits home: strikingly elegant in its simplicity!
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    I almost said wow I never even knew they made those until I realized it must be in Hans' book but I never really took note.
    Somehow that pic really hits home: strikingly elegant in its simplicity!
    Grot's 1970

Note the cherry burst, curve bridge but no tone switch. I have learned not to generalize too much about Guild basses because M-85's or 1970 basses or both (like this one) are the exceptions that break my rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Grot's 1970

Note the cherry burst, curve bridge but no tone switch. I have learned not to generalize too much about Guild basses because M-85's or 1970 basses or both (like this one) are the exceptions that break my rules.
    Grot has 2 of these with maple tops I was lucky to have both in my hands. The other has humbuckers, but is still the deeper semi solid M-85 I believe. This Bisonic one is stunning in person, the perioid cherry burst that is usually done (quite well) on mahogany Guilds, just jumps off the quilted maple top like an explosion from outer space. Also looks like this one has the later, larger headstock, with no suck switch? if that is the case would go against any logic when comparing it to the OP M-85! I think Grots other one with humbuckers is a similar type of maple figuring and burst, but possibly the regular maple sunburst, I dont really remember. He may actually have 3 or 4 them.

Also a member here a couple of years ago had a spruce top sunburst M-85-1 semi solid, deep body one,from 68 ish that they sold. And Mgod has a few. I own a GSR reissue along with one or 2 other members. those are fully hollow (verses semi-solid/chambered) and not as deep. And Happy Face has the 60s M-85-II. *Any M-85 (other than the 70s solid body or Newark Street model) is very, very hard to find!
    Last edited by mavuser; 10-26-2017 at 02:59 AM.

I have one of each of the three different versions of the M-85 Bass.

(Don't know if you'll see the photos or not)

1970 "Hollow"

1970 "Semi-Solid M-85-II

1973 M-85 "Solid"

I coveted your GSR reissue on the basis of size and appearance, but the producer/engineer where I have been recording loves my dual pickup Bisonic M-85. Which I had rewired to parallel a couple of years ago or so..

Especially through my revamped & reinforced Versatone, which I now leave there to get studio time priority.

Though it chokes me to say it, I guess there is something to Mgod's wisdom around here.
    Last edited by Happy Face; 10-26-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Ah man how could I leave out Happy Face, part of the OG M-85 mafia! I edited my post.

hey Grot are the "hollow" and "semi solid" the same depth thickness? I remember now you telling me one was a true hollow like the guitar. that thing was still 100 times heavier than the hollow M-75 guitar. i think your maple tops have some serious density.

heres my 2014 GSR M-85-II "the closet queen of Connecticut"

Last edited by mavuser; 10-26-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Also looks like the OP M-85 has a srpuce top under the cherry finish?