1967 M85 Red

Reaction score
Hi all,
New to this site, and had a question about a Guild bass serial number that doesn't appear on the list (not that I can find anyway).
I have a red M85 bass in red, just drug from under the bed where it has been for the last 8 or 10 years, because of the possible flooding during Irma. When I was putting the Guitars back under the bed I opened the cases and took pictures as I should have done BEFORE the storm.
I thought I would check some serial numbers and the one on the bass is either 216 or 218, the latter I believe.
I am pretty sure I bought this bass in 1966 or 1967 from Sam Goody's music store in Philadelphia. I tried to learn to play the bass in addition to the guitar, but it wasn't happening. After about a year I put it away and that's where it has stayed except when someone would want to see it for some reason.
Sorry to be so long winded But my question is: Am I missing the serial number from my bass on the list? or is it just not there?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hello, welcome to the forum!

look very closely, there should be"BB" before the 218. sometimes it is barely on there if the stamp didn't really press through the finish. it may have faded some with time, as well. It might be separated from the digits like: BB 218

Hans Moust, author of The Guild Guitar Book, can tell you the year. He is a member here.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. We'd love pictures. Short instructions are host them somewhere else and link to them here.

The online serial number charts have known problems. Looking at one, I'd guess 1969 but rather than contradict your memory, I'll wait until Hans, or a look at his book provides a definitive answer. I assume BB-218 is the number.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hello Macaxeman! (perhaps from a fellow Floridian?)
Would love to see some photos. There are certain giveaways that can also help roughly determine the year of production, such as bridge design, "bass boost" push button switch, etc.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
it is possible BB-218 is 1968 but more likely 1969, or even 1970.

Another question that should be asked is, are you 100 percent sure it is an M-85 Guild Bass? because if it is a Starfire or Jetstar Guild bass, it would be BA 218 or SD 218 (respectively), and date to 1966.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I'll try to stop speculating before we see photos and hear from Hans, but it also seems possible that an earlier Starfire neck in storage, already with serial number stamp, was used with the M85 body to make your bass a few years later... the Guild company was known to not let anything go to waste, resulting in a few cool oddball specimens here and there.
My 1970 Starfire is kind of one of these groovy weirdo instruments because it has the larger transition headstock but still sports the old Hagstrom Bisonic single coil pickup that was mostly phased out in 1970/1971 in favor of the later Humbucker

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
your link brings me to one photo, of the headstock on your bass.

it is the smaller, Hoboken/60s headstock, with Hoboken truss rod cover, original tuners and what looks like the original Guild strings. So far, looking very nice!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
23908599858_adc4ce3ccf_h.jpg

I linked to it directly because I could.

If all I had was that picture I would say pre-1970 Guild bass but I'm not sure what else. The headstock proportions seem like the smaller '60's version. Generalizations about M-85's are often wrong but we could say more with a picture of the back of the headstock, showing the serial number, and a picture of the front showing at least the controls and pickup.

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Ladies,
Sorry I'm a little slow at this stuff, It's the 40+ at the big box store, and everything else that seems to get in the way of doing what we want.
I'm new at Flickr and have been trying to get the link to work for some pictures, I really hope this time will be it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152366964@N03/shares/7069F4
Last time only one pic worked. please everyone accept my apologies (me and Billy Eckstine).
I hope it's not TO MANY pics. questions on anything please ask. or email me. Thanks again

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
24013885698_ce5bff320d_k.jpg

Your album has a lot of pictures. I pulled this one out to make the discussion easier but there is no guarantee that there is not a better one in the album.

To me that looks like a picture of a M85 I bass made between 1967 and 1971. The presence of the curved bridge and the tone switch suggests no earlier than (mid) 1967. It is clearly the hollow body version (binding present) of the M85 and those were phased out by 1972 when the solid body version appeared. The case looks period correct and the pickup appears to be the original Bisonic.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
that thing looks real nice! my friend, that is a treasure u have buried under your bed all of these years. Very valuable and hard to find Guild. Serial number is BB 216. I believe it to be a 1968 or 69 build. cheers!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
that thing looks real nice! my friend, that is a treasure u have buried under your bed all of these years. Very valuable and hard to find Guild. Serial number is BB 216. I believe it to be a 1968 or 69 build. cheers!
I almost said wow I never even knew they made those until I realized it must be in Hans' book but I never really took note.
Somehow that pic really hits home: strikingly elegant in its simplicity!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I almost said wow I never even knew they made those until I realized it must be in Hans' book but I never really took note.
Somehow that pic really hits home: strikingly elegant in its simplicity!

Grot's 1970

1970aM-85Hollow.jpg

Note the cherry burst, curve bridge but no tone switch. I have learned not to generalize too much about Guild basses because M-85's or 1970 basses or both (like this one) are the exceptions that break my rules.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Grot's 1970

1970aM-85Hollow.jpg

Note the cherry burst, curve bridge but no tone switch. I have learned not to generalize too much about Guild basses because M-85's or 1970 basses or both (like this one) are the exceptions that break my rules.

Grot has 2 of these with maple tops I was lucky to have both in my hands. The other has humbuckers, but is still the deeper semi solid M-85 I believe. This Bisonic one is stunning in person, the perioid cherry burst that is usually done (quite well) on mahogany Guilds, just jumps off the quilted maple top like an explosion from outer space. Also looks like this one has the later, larger headstock, with no suck switch? if that is the case would go against any logic when comparing it to the OP M-85! I think Grots other one with humbuckers is a similar type of maple figuring and burst, but possibly the regular maple sunburst, I dont really remember. He may actually have 3 or 4 them.

Also a member here a couple of years ago had a spruce top sunburst M-85-1 semi solid, deep body one,from 68 ish that they sold. And Mgod has a few. I own a GSR reissue along with one or 2 other members. those are fully hollow (verses semi-solid/chambered) and not as deep. And Happy Face has the 60s M-85-II. *Any M-85 (other than the 70s solid body or Newark Street model) is very, very hard to find!

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have one of each of the three different versions of the M-85 Bass.

(Don't know if you'll see the photos or not)

1970 "Hollow"

100_6525.jpg

1970 "Semi-Solid M-85-II

rt124.jpg

1973 M-85 "Solid"

rt112.jpg

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I coveted your GSR reissue on the basis of size and appearance, but the producer/engineer where I have been recording loves my dual pickup Bisonic M-85. Which I had rewired to parallel a couple of years ago or so..

Especially through my revamped & reinforced Versatone, which I now leave there to get studio time priority.

Though it chokes me to say it, I guess there is something to Mgod's wisdom around here.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ah man how could I leave out Happy Face, part of the OG M-85 mafia! I edited my post.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hey Grot are the "hollow" and "semi solid" the same depth thickness? I remember now you telling me one was a true hollow like the guitar. that thing was still 100 times heavier than the hollow M-75 guitar. i think your maple tops have some serious density.

heres my 2014 GSR M-85-II "the closet queen of Connecticut"

duEkWu.jpg

4SsHIO.jpg

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Also looks like the OP M-85 has a srpuce top under the cherry finish?