Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1967 M85 Red

1967 M85 Red

Hi all,
    New to this site, and had a question about a Guild bass serial number that doesn't appear on the list (not that I can find anyway).
    I have a red M85 bass in red, just drug from under the bed where it has been for the last 8 or 10 years, because of the possible flooding during Irma. When I was putting the Guitars back under the bed I opened the cases and took pictures as I should have done BEFORE the storm.
    I thought I would check some serial numbers and the one on the bass is either 216 or 218, the latter I believe.
    I am pretty sure I bought this bass in 1966 or 1967 from Sam Goody's music store in Philadelphia. I tried to learn to play the bass in addition to the guitar, but it wasn't happening. After about a year I put it away and that's where it has stayed except when someone would want to see it for some reason.
    Sorry to be so long winded But my question is: Am I missing the serial number from my bass on the list? or is it just not there?

hello, welcome to the forum!

look very closely, there should be"BB" before the 218. sometimes it is barely on there if the stamp didn't really press through the finish. it may have faded some with time, as well. It might be separated from the digits like: BB 218

Hans Moust, author of The Guild Guitar Book, can tell you the year. He is a member here.

Blog Entries
    Welcome. We'd love pictures. Short instructions are host them somewhere else and link to them here.

The online serial number charts have known problems. Looking at one, I'd guess 1969 but rather than contradict your memory, I'll wait until Hans, or a look at his book provides a definitive answer. I assume BB-218 is the number.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Hello Macaxeman! (perhaps from a fellow Floridian?)
    Would love to see some photos. There are certain giveaways that can also help roughly determine the year of production, such as bridge design, "bass boost" push button switch, etc.

it is possible BB-218 is 1968 but more likely 1969, or even 1970.

Another question that should be asked is, are you 100 percent sure it is an M-85 Guild Bass? because if it is a Starfire or Jetstar Guild bass, it would be BA 218 or SD 218 (respectively), and date to 1966.

I'll try to stop speculating before we see photos and hear from Hans, but it also seems possible that an earlier Starfire neck in storage, already with serial number stamp, was used with the M85 body to make your bass a few years later... the Guild company was known to not let anything go to waste, resulting in a few cool oddball specimens here and there.
    My 1970 Starfire is kind of one of these groovy weirdo instruments because it has the larger transition headstock but still sports the old Hagstrom Bisonic single coil pickup that was mostly phased out in 1970/1971 in favor of the later Humbucker

Hi Guys and Gals,
    I did here from Hans (THANKS)
    I'm still trying to find my way around here so sorry for the slow response. I tried to upload some pics to Flickr, so hope this works.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152366.../shares/g3vmk6
    I THINK copy and paste might work.
    thanks for your responses.

your link brings me to one photo, of the headstock on your bass.

it is the smaller, Hoboken/60s headstock, with Hoboken truss rod cover, original tuners and what looks like the original Guild strings. So far, looking very nice!

Blog Entries

I linked to it directly because I could.

If all I had was that picture I would say pre-1970 Guild bass but I'm not sure what else. The headstock proportions seem like the smaller '60's version. Generalizations about M-85's are often wrong but we could say more with a picture of the back of the headstock, showing the serial number, and a picture of the front showing at least the controls and pickup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Hi Guys and Ladies,
    Sorry I'm a little slow at this stuff, It's the 40+ at the big box store, and everything else that seems to get in the way of doing what we want.
    I'm new at Flickr and have been trying to get the link to work for some pictures, I really hope this time will be it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152366.../shares/7069F4
    Last time only one pic worked. please everyone accept my apologies (me and Billy Eckstine).
    I hope it's not TO MANY pics. questions on anything please ask. or email me. Thanks again