Well, it bugged me so......

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am amused. Almost everyone agrees that when it is your guitar and you own it, you should do whatever you need to make it pleasing for you. But when you go to sell it, or people view your changes 25+ years, later many of the responses are "why would anyone do that?"

I use the side markers but there are many times when I use the fretboard markers as well so I approve of this mod and probably would still approve in 25 years even if I were smart enough to realize it was not factory ;-)

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
OK MLBob, you made me do this. My DV-52 fretboard was customized before I rescued it from a pawnshop about 15 years ago. The original fret dots were replaced with Paua abalone blocks. I jumped all over it. I was on the rebound from losing a bid on an F-50R, then I saw this one and snatched it up.

A3f6vm4.jpg

Dread, that DV-52 'burst is gorgeous. Looks like an old 3 tone done the "right" way - to my eyes anyway.

My gripe is on the side fret "markers". At the typical 1/16", they're too danged small for my aged eyes to see in less than optimal conditions. I've been known to personalize my guitars with the 3/32" option.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dread, that DV-52 'burst is gorgeous. Looks like an old 3 tone done the "right" way - to my eyes anyway.

My gripe is on the side fret "markers". At the typical 1/16", they're too danged small for my aged eyes to see in less than optimal conditions. I've been known to personalize my guitars with the 3/32" option.

They have some that can illuminate or up size them :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Arkie, yes I like this burst way better than the pick-shaped burst, and I also like it better than the old Guild "tobacco burst," which was pretty sweet too.

I don't know that I would have had the stones to modify the fretboard so radically, but whoever did the work did an outstanding job. The fingerboard is very smooth and the abalone blocks are absolutely flush with the ebony.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the guitar rings like a bell...

PittPastor

Reaction score
I am amused. Almost everyone agrees that when it is your guitar and you own it, you should do whatever you need to make it pleasing for you. But when you go to sell it, or people view your changes 25+ years, later many of the responses are "why would anyone do that?"

I use the side markers but there are many times when I use the fretboard markers as well so I approve of this mod and probably would still approve in 25 years even if I were smart enough to realize it was not factory ;-)

I've never bought a 25 year old guitar (yet) -- but if I did, give me the one that someone loved playing so much he changed it to make it even more playable. The worst thing that can happen to a guitar is neglect. And I don't mean that because I am attaching human emotions to a guitar... it's that neglected guitars are the ones that end up dry, cracked and having major issues because they were stuck some place out of the way and ignored. IMHO.

MLBob

Reaction score
"Almost everyone agrees that when it is your guitar and you own it, you should do whatever you need to make it pleasing for you. But when you go to sell it, or people view your changes 25+ years, later many of the responses are "why would anyone do that?"

I use the side markers but there are many times when I use the fretboard markers as well so I approve of this mod and probably would still approve in 25 years even if I were smart enough to realize it was not factory "

I've never bought a 25 year old guitar (yet) -- but if I did, give me the one that someone loved playing so much he changed it to make it even more playable. The worst thing that can happen to a guitar is neglect. And I don't mean that because I am attaching human emotions to a guitar... it's that neglected guitars are the ones that end up dry, cracked and having major issues because they were stuck some place out of the way and ignored. IMHO.

Interesting in that when I bought this guitar it was already 26 years old. So if I sell it in +25 years, it will be 51 years old...... but that will pale in comparison to me being 94!!

I think I side with both Frono and the pastor; I'm just going to play the heck out of it and enjoy it for as long as I can, and not worry about "depreciation" ..... or if it will need me "when I'm ninety-four"

Agqje6D.jpg
Check this out: https://youtu.be/_uk2LkW2tm8 ..... And check out the maple, archtop Guild content starting at 0:10 - 0:15!! X150 D??

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Such was the case with the F112 that became....a 6 string, with a few modifications, of course.

ibSa2f.jpg

F112-6

I was motivated by the body size and the nut width, and it was/is mine, so I gave it a shot. I learned a lot in the process and I have a sweet little travel/camping/all-around pal.

Did I mention that it was fun? :peaceful:
Joe

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Such was the case with the F112 that became....a 6 string, with a few modifications, of course.

I was motivated by the body size and the nut width, and it was/is mine, so I gave it a shot. I learned a lot in the process and I have a sweet little travel/camping/all-around pal.

Did I mention that it was fun? :peaceful:
Joe

Wait, Wutt? How about a close-up of the headstock and fill me in on the methodology. Fascinating stuff.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wait, Wutt? How about a close-up of the headstock and fill me in on the methodology. Fascinating stuff.
Here's the headstock, as requested.

lumix16016.jpg

New headstock after the makeover

Just a matter of redoing the headstock and the bridge, and cutting a new nut (old nut still on in this pic) to accommodate six strings instead of twelve. Nut width is 1 13/16 so there's plenty of room for fingerpicking. The new Grover tuners are much better than the old six-on-a-plate.

It certainly wasn't an overnight fix but I stayed focused, :peaceful:
Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"Almost everyone agrees that when it is your guitar and you own it, you should do whatever you need to make it pleasing for you. But when you go to sell it, or people view your changes 25+ years, later many of the responses are "why would anyone do that?"

I use the side markers but there are many times when I use the fretboard markers as well so I approve of this mod and probably would still approve in 25 years even if I were smart enough to realize it was not factory "

Interesting in that when I bought this guitar it was already 26 years old. So if I sell it in +25 years, it will be 51 years old...... but that will pale in comparison to me being 94!!

I think I side with both Frono and the pastor; I'm just going to play the heck out of it and enjoy it for as long as I can, and not worry about "depreciation" ..... or if it will need me "when I'm ninety-four"

Agqje6D.jpg
Check this out: https://youtu.be/_uk2LkW2tm8 ..... And check out the maple, archtop Guild content starting at 0:10 - 0:15!! X150 D??

+1 on "playing the heck out of it"! The only acoustic I've had since 1984 is my D64...

And - great version of "When I'm Sixty-Four"!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Agqje6D.jpg

Paul saw this refection in the mirror while tripping one day, and decided to stop taking acid.

Last edited: