Well, it bugged me so......

MLBob

Reaction score
The lack of that dot marker at the 3rd fret kept distracting me, so down to the shop I went where I had the right tools and a bag of assorted pearl dot markers.

OK...... now I'm happy

fqUnnjI.jpg

(....and for those crying "Sacrilege!!" .... made and bought"to be played" :encouragement:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would have used a carriage bolt but yours looks a tad nicer , well done sir :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice! No 3rd fret marker would bother me, too!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That Looks Great MLBob! I don't understand why folks make a fuss when someone personalizes their own instrument so it is right for them to play. I thought I would freak out trying to play my 70's G212 as they have no fret markers on the fretboard at all, just smooth ebony. I believe the early G312s were that was as well. Surprisingly it didn't bother me at all seeing as it still had the dot markers on the binding edge and that was what I used for reference when I was playing it.

By the way, I am not much on the redder burst finishes that Guild applied over the years but yours looks Awesome in that photo!

TX

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is an interesting dot pattern there Bob; don't think I've seen one that style before.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I thought I would freak out trying to play my 70's G212 as they have no fret markers on the fretboard at all, just smooth ebony. I believe the early G312s were that was as well. Surprisingly it didn't bother me at all seeing as it still had the dot markers on the binding edge and that was what I used for reference when I was playing it.
Funny you should say that. I was talking with a friend about whether I could live without fret-markers. I don't think I ever look at them anymore. Not since I started tuning with a snark. I guess I sometimes look when putting the capo on... But, not much other than that.

By the way, I am not much on the redder burst finishes that Guild applied over the years but yours looks Awesome in that photo!

I think they can make a guitar look like it belongs in a circus, but the finish on MLBob's makes it look like vintage wine. I like it a lot.

(....and for those crying "Sacrilege!!" .... made and bought"to be played" :encouragement:

It makes no difference at all if you never plan to sell it, IMHO. Make it yours.

I would have used a carriage bolt but yours looks a tad nicer , well done sir :)

Ha! Made me choke on my ice tea!

MLBob

Reaction score
That is an interesting dot pattern there Bob; don't think I've seen one that style before.

Dread,

Like Tex said, personalized so it is right for them to play, especially in Havens tunes & covers. Lots of Open - D, thumb over, suspensions call for me being able to locate the right place rapidly ( and that suspended Bm7 comes into play in a lot of the stuff I do, so I highlighted that fret as well..... what the heck; I had the drill out anyway :tongue:) Switching from the 24 fret neck on that acoustic Studio 24 to this JF-30 can get me confused in a hurry.

Bob

Tex,
When this one came up on my local Craigslist, the seller described it as a "wine" burst. Label has an "SB" suffix. I really like the color of the burst as well.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
But , but , but there fret board markers ! Do you guys play in front of a mirror or lap steel style ? Lol 😜

bobouz

Reaction score
Never have paid too much attention to dot markers,

but that's a sweet looking sunburst!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bob, I am surprised there was no marker on the 3rd fret.

related funny story re the D25 Br, the side of neck markers, you know those tiny circles every two frets or so? they are so faded on my Br that I been missing chords as I get older. Happened twice on Sat night, fortunately during practice. amazing how habit forming roaming the fretboard by side fret marker can be :) Now I am sure many of you can play without looking at the fretboard or side frets hardly at all, but that has never been in my skill set ....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Tex,
When this one came up on my local Craigslist, the seller described it as a "wine" burst. Label has an "SB" suffix. I really like the color of the burst as well.

"I don't often like sunbursts, but when I do, they're like that one."
:friendly_wink:

Opsimath

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, love that color! I have a beginner guitar (second one we bought- Recording King) with no marker at the third fret. Hey, Ray, could you come over with a carriage bolt??! We'll fix this baby right up!

Unfortunately it seems I have to look at my fretboard to play; probably a really bad beginner habit. Lately I've been trying to play what few tunes I know from memory with my eyes closed and so reducing the temptation to peek. One day I hope to be a freakin' rock star and not have to look at all - ever! (Still working on the rock star part)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with looking at the fret markers - I still do it when I feel the need - especially if playing something that goes between several fret positions...

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey, Ray, could you come over with a carriage bolt??! We'll fix this baby right

I hear Hot dipped galvanized is in but the zinc coated is ok but I like stainless it gives a more industrial look therefore being more professional in appearance. 😁

Just_Guild

Reaction score
I'm with you on this! My D-25 has no third fret marker and it drives me crazy. When I play it, I say, gotta add a marker. The I ove on and forget about it! LOL!

Just_Guild

Reaction score
Hey farmer, when you gonna fix the hole in your roof? Can't fix it when it's raining. How about when it's not raining? Then it ain't leaking? This is me to a tee about the third fret marker! LOL!!!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK MLBob, you made me do this. My DV-52 fretboard was customized before I rescued it from a pawnshop about 15 years ago. The original fret dots were replaced with Paua abalone blocks. I jumped all over it. I was on the rebound from losing a bid on an F-50R, then I saw this one and snatched it up.

A3f6vm4.jpg

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Happened twice on Sat night, fortunately during practice. amazing how habit forming roaming the fretboard by side fret marker can be :) Now I am sure many of you can play without looking at the fretboard or side frets hardly at all, but that has never been in my skill set ....

Oh, I definitely look at the side fret markings.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I am playing or learning something that does jump around the fretboard a lot, I like to have fretboard markers. I could get by without the 3rd one, but 5 , 7 , 9 , and 12 are road marks that come in handy.