NorCal Guilders ok?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seeing all the devastation caused by the wildfires got me wondering about the members, and their Guilds, in the area. Hope they escape the scorched earth most likely importantly,and, secondly, that their Guilds survive.

I saw a report that Charles Schultz's home was destroyed, along with, I'm sure, much priceless Peanuts artifacts.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the east Bay (Emeryville), my coworkers were urged by our manager to stay home because air quality was so bad today that working in the office was unhealthy. I know that's small potatoes compared to folks up in Santa Rosa, but it is a bad scene.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We had a house fire 27 years ago. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The photos from Santa Rosa (and other locations) are just heartbreaking. Praying for more of the missing to be located.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm in Santa Clara this week and the smoke was quite thick two days ago. It's about an hour and a half drive from here and the smoke is/was everywhere. You can smell it the second you go outside. The data centers had to close the air exchangers because customers were reporting the smell of smoke.

It's crazy how large these fires are: http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1868

See the blocks and blocks of fire-flattened homes is crushing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Seeing all the devastation caused by the wildfires got me wondering about the members, and their Guilds, in the area. Hope they escape the scorched earth most likely importantly,and, secondly, that their Guilds survive.

I saw a report that Charles Schultz's home was destroyed, along with, I'm sure, much priceless Peanuts artifacts.

That was on news this AM, with a comforting note that actually most of the "good stuff" is in a museum and safe.
What GAD and Chazmo said about air quality is true, and there're hazardous air quality alerts expected though the weekend even down here (Santa Clara where GAD's at), 50 miles away with the SF Bay in between.
This morning I talked to a customer up in the area who reported a constant fine ash fall coating everything.
Said they even evacuated a hospital not because it was endangered but because the air was too bad.
This is a semi-arid region as it is, and we've got a high percentage of trees over-stressed from years of drought combined with a bumper crop of tinder grasses and brush growth from the record rainfall winter that finally broke the drought.
A '"perfect storm" of circumstances, and 2 different kinds in the same year. (Floods from rains in the early spring)
Anybody remember the final scene from THX-1138, when they finally break out from underground to that deep red sun obscured by smoke?
That's exactly how it's been 4 nights running even 30 miles south here in Fremont where I work, but especially Wednesday.
I can only recall a couple of guys who posted about living right in the area over the years, but my heart goes out to everybody up there.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by the fires. I went through this with my Brother a few years back. He lost his house and everything including the vintage vehicles in the biggest wildfire Texas has ever seen. Please stay safe up there and if you are close to the burn area don't take any chances. That wind can turn in a heartbeat and within 15 minutes it can be too late to get to safety especially with all the fresh fuel Al mentioned earlier. Keep us posted and we are hoping for the best for everyone.

TX