If You only Have Five Minutes...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh my gosh, I don't have a song at all...
I would just start playing some run or progression, maybe drop big E string to D and just roam about with no destination in mind...

hey that last phrase sounds like song lyrics...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
and just roam about with no destination in mind...

hey that last phrase sounds like song lyrics...

Well they'd describe the meanderings of a "Slow Fat Winter Fly" well enough... :biggrin-new:
Me, I can barely get tuned up in 5 minutes.
I play some scales and progressions to get the axe and strings "warmed up" and then check it one last time before "getting serious"....

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well they'd describe the meanderings of a "Slow Fat Winter Fly" well enough... :biggrin-new:
Me, I can barely get tuned up in 5 minutes.
I play some scales and progressions to get the axe and strings "warmed up" and then check it one last time before "getting serious"....

And you are forgetting time to don the artist cap you wear Al in your videos, i forget the name of them...please allot time for that...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And you are forgetting time to don the artist cap you wear Al in your videos, i forget the name of them...please allot time for that...

The proper name for the generic class of "duck-billed caps" is "Scally Cap"...nobody ever remembers when the question gets asked.
I started wearing 'em years ago for driving because I can't stand what sunglasses do to my vision.
And they were a stylish form of sun protection when I started busking, too.
:friendly_wink:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The proper name for the generic class of "duck-billed caps" is "Scally Cap"...nobody ever remembers when the question gets asked.
I started wearing 'em years ago for driving because I can't stand what sunglasses do to my vision.
And they were a stylish form of sun protection when I started busking, too.
:friendly_wink:

I need to look into adopting the Scally Cap. Especially if it makes my D25 sound better, which it does, no doubt....right?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I need to look into adopting the Scally Cap. Especially if it makes my D25 sound better, which it does, no doubt....right?

Tough call.
I spent so many years wearing one while playing that when I put one on after not wearing one for a while, I started remembering stuff I hadn't done since starting to play predominantly indoors.
Definitely put me in a more "focused" mind set.
In that state of mind the guitars do sound better.
:hypnotysed:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind:
With scally caps a little oversized is definitely better than slightly undersized:

Cool:

images

Dufus:

images

Unless you're Jack Kerouac:

260683.jpg

560045.png

See what I mean?

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
definitely going oversized....
great pic of Kerouac!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The above pic Al, is that Kesey and Cassidy?

Great read. The letter. I never knew. I loved On The Road. Again, the late 40s thru late 60s must have been the best time.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The above pic Al, is that Kesey and Cassidy?

"Gut", a Hells Angel "crossover" who was an "Auxiliary Prankster" and Fillmore poster artist, and the type that made a lot of hippies think the Hells Angels were more like "noble savages" than thugs.
Until Altamont.

Kesey around the time of Cuckoos Nest:
64d112b94311b28714e12e259a922b13--ken-kesey-beats.jpg

Kesey and Garcia at Newport Pop Festival in'68:
b8ce0ada00db901d0a371bbdbbc9e659--ken-kesey-powerful-quotes.jpg

Contrary to popular belief both of 'em had retired from extensive psychedelic use by then so it probably really is Coke in those cups as opposed to electric Koolaid.
:glee:

BY the way, speaking of Altamont, I saw "Gimme Shelter" for the first time since my youth a couple of weeks back and realized for the first time that it's Angels president Sonny Barger giving Mick the evil eye during "Under My Thumb":
altamont3-400x250.gif

Can't seem to be able to post the video clip but it's about 10 seconds of him furiously chewing a wad of gum with an unblinking glare and I can just hear him thinking to himself:
"You little f-----t, if I caught you in a dark alley I'd beat the s--t out of you and leave you alive to prolong your agony".
With apologies for the hate speech but I honest to God think that's what he's thinking, and to me that's actually one of the scariest parts of the movie.
Just another reminder that the there was a very dark side to the era, indeed.
Cassidy got 3 years in San Quentin for giving 3 joints to an undercover in '59 or '60 I think it was.
10 seconds. 3 years.
5 minutes on a guitar.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why anyone would hire the angels to do security at a rock concert is beyond me. I was at the concert for Phil graham, in San Francisco’s Golden Gate park. Me and a couple friends were at the Neil young bridge benefit concert the night before. Tons of people. Anyway, this hells angel dude walks across our blanket at the park, and is wasted, he stops and is stepping on our dog tgat was with us. He didn’t notice. I shove him off the dog. I figure he gonna belt me right? He looks at me, looks at the dog, kind of nods to me then walks away.

😀

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Why anyone would hire the angels to do security at a rock concert is beyond me.
It was that misguided "noble savages", "they're just like us because the establishment hates them too" thing.
Angels actually showed up at some of the parties the Dead played at Kesey's house in La Honda (out in the boonies) in '65. Some of 'em liked the acid but most of 'em didn't.
Kesey's house:
sdfdfsdf.jpg

Kesey had become acquainted with LSD by volunteering for experiments at the Menlo Park VA Hospital, had managed to smuggle a fair supply out, and genuine Sandoz was still available to the 2 authorized Sandoz "agents" until late '64 I think it was.
Full story of how Owsley met Kesey at one of those parties, here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/owsley-stanley-the-king-of-lsd-20110314
In the flick there're comments about how the Stones thought they'd be like the English Hells Angels who showed up at the Stones free concert in Hyde Park a couple of months before.
The American Angels would have put those guys under a beat down for insulting the colors.
Barger himself called into a radio station the next day claiming all they were hired to do was surround the stage and keep people off it for $500.00 worth of beer, and if people messed with their bikes then they deserved what they got, or words to that effect.. They weren't even hired by the Stones but by the concert organizer, "IIRC".

. the concert for Phil graham, in San Francisco’s Golden Gate park. Me and a couple friends were at the Neil young bridge benefit concert the night before. Tons of people. Anyway, this hells angel dude walks across our blanket at the park, and is wasted, he stops and is stepping on our dog tgat was with us. He didn’t notice. I shove him off the dog. I figure he gonna belt me right? He looks at me, looks at the dog, kind of nods to me then walks away.

��
Yeah, you're kinda lucky he figured it was "my bad". Probably about the most apology you'll get from a hardcore Angel.

Bmack59F30

Reaction score
I just changed my mind!!!!!

I've just learned it, and I put a little mahogany Martin I have in Slack tuning. Do you play it? Something about that opening line that fits. Especially if I am playing at midnight and I can't sleep.