Continued Appreciation For The DV62

PittPastor

Reaction score
Have you heard the audio clips on YouTube of the concert Harry did in the late 70's with John, James Taylor and Gordon Lightfoot for world hunger? There's a bit of "Taxi" on there where John sings Big John Wallace's falsetto part...and NAILS it.

I haven't. Have to google it. I actually have a hard time doing Taxi because of the falsetto. I try it but it doesn't sound right. If you skip the whole part, it doesn't sound right either.

My favorite Chapin song, hands down, is "Stranger With the Melodies." But Corey's Coming is what taught be the beginnings of finger picking, so if I pick up the Guitar for one song, that's the one I do. Which brings up a question: You pick up your DV26, and have only five minutes to do a song -- what do you do?

Hey, My Man...I play and sing every so often, but I try and not let it get to be the Shawn Garvey Show and do it too much...they already get enough of me every week!

Wow... I've used (almost) the same quote when someone asks me why I don't play and sing more in church. (Well, I've never told them I didn't want to make it the Shawn Garvey Show -- might try that next time just to see the expression on their face. It will crack me up, and no one will understand why. Heh... I get that a lot!)

PittPastor

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't remember who we got that trc from and I can't find the details, it was probably about 10 years ago. I do remember I got it "unfinished" so it gets a bit of lemon oil when I oil the fingerboard and bridge, usually when I change strings.

Not too worried about customization, my DV-52 was already customized with Paua abalone fret markers before I rescued it from a pawn shop about 15 years ago. It is a 1999 model from Westerly. I have no idea who customized it but they did a nice job. The guitar was like brand new when I found it.

Wow... Gor-Ge-ous! Of course, I am partial to the sunburst...

Reaction score
Guild Total
I haven't. Have to google it. I actually have a hard time doing Taxi because of the falsetto. I try it but it doesn't sound right. If you skip the whole part, it doesn't sound right either.

My favorite Chapin song, hands down, is "Stranger With the Melodies." But Corey's Coming is what taught be the beginnings of finger picking, so if I pick up the Guitar for one song, that's the one I do. Which brings up a question: You pick up your DV26, and have only five minutes to do a song -- what do you do?

Wow... I've used (almost) the same quote when someone asks me why I don't play and sing more in church. (Well, I've never told them I didn't want to make it the Shawn Garvey Show -- might try that next time just to see the expression on their face. It will crack me up, and no one will understand why. Heh... I get that a lot!)

Hmmmm, only 5 minutes? I love to plunk out "Kathy's Song" or "April Come She Will" by Simon and Garfunkel, "Leader Of The Band" by Dan Fogelberg, "Vincent" by Don McLean, "Maybe" by Thom Pace, and deep cuts in Mr. Denver's catalog like "Circus," "We Don't Live Here No More," "Eclipse," "Thirsty Boots" or "Children Of The Universe" That was a tough question, though!!

How about you?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"April Come She Will" is one of the first songs I learned to play and sing back when I was a wee lad of 15.

I loved Harry Chapin, we saw him 3 times before his untimely and tragic demise. One time was in the late '70's on the World Hunger Tour. He was solo that night, fairly small venue, just Harry on a stool with his guitar. It was a magical night. I bought his guitar/lyrics book at the merch table. I'm most likely to do "Circle" because I can sing it. I love "Taxi" and I think it is his finest song, but there's no way I can sing that falsetto part.

OK, if I have to just grab a guitar and play a song it would likely be "Angel From Montgomery." or "Someday Soon." or "Drift Away." or "Loving Her Was Easier." or "Steamroller Blues."

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We attended the confirmation service for our friend's daughter years ago, and the priest played his guitar and sang a song for the kids being confirmed, it was a beautiful thing.

Reaction score
Guild Total
We attended the confirmation service for our friend's daughter years ago, and the priest played his guitar and sang a song for the kids being confirmed, it was a beautiful thing.

Love that! I sang "For Baby, For Bobbie" when my first son was baptized. "Angel From Montgomery" is another good one!

I'm very jealous that you got to see Harry live. I never got to, though I did see John 4 times before his passing. But still....Denver, Croce, Chapin, Fogelberg...we've lost too many of them too early

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guild Total
And just for giggles, here's me in 1975 in Kindergarten for my elementary school talent show singing "Cat's In The Cradle." I loved Harry even back then...

dGi3mABBdDN_cqsb4UeLtwogeL2cWOQIZtdPUA7z7zkoRPS08xH8Pzxn7NLy3SuRBhj_ouefFPxnYqVpTmV-d5J43QpBcqieupaChammyVKmfc_yh87cjdTwZrjRTfe3a_-Nl7hFRdsWC90oSVTSBBQoTgkEU45Fr1c-uiHkBGNOCGygRtg41fRcN-GgBEYxA4WrPxZz0KnMJ1SaZxiEC5Qxm_Gr2VWZ2BlOXhKe_2NHQsrq9xYrJQNHBlyubEcuaJ9Rmg4HWuZqD8S-GN7ohwswDIWwpvHPQMyjhs30ds7HIq8qvQhcCFQ3hENLJfns1s0bhc5zvqeMByGskf4-45tO3zf6FuhSQvk1wf05RbdLHRaOpUTr2p9zlSXWosRrEyUVKnvEi8qCNMp32Pbvqi_G8FMHZoO0iJkWZjorcWFrtQ7ETU_89g9Q0QuxImCy0WqUZtAGRGS3VMD5Ts3ODEGNXpxysdGLmkcnWoPITe8JmOVsI7dnwSb1Q7_VPXTx9v0YG3l9KM9jwCk6lueMIC8BPdoe_0Qm4z_YExdgTIYT2-QvFAqGZcUkeriAJP4gPqM4BULV3hHLquM8f7gEsW7FSKBx0FIioN2paq9oG6s=w304-h432-no

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Rev Shawn, Gorgeous DV62 and great pics! If you are looking for a custom truss rod cover here is the link to WEC Inlays. http://www.wecinlay.com/ Scott is the owner operator out of Canada and has done a custom Truss rod cover for most of my Guilds. He has several designs that he keeps in stock so you can order right away and his prices are very reasonable or he can make pretty much any design you want. Shipping from Canada to the Houston Texas area normally takes about a week give or take. I found him on Ebay 4 or 5 years ago and have been very pleased with the quality of his work and professionalism. Hope this helps you out!

TX

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Rev Shawn, Gorgeous DV62 and great pics! If you are looking for a custom truss rod cover here is the link to WEC Inlays. http://www.wecinlay.com/ Scott is the owner operator out of Canada and has done a custom Truss rod cover for most of my Guilds. He has several designs that he keeps in stock so you can order right away and his prices are very reasonable or he can make pretty much any design you want. Shipping from Canada to the Houston Texas area normally takes about a week give or take. I found him on Ebay 4 or 5 years ago and have been very pleased with the quality of his work and professionalism. Hope this helps you out!

TX

Much appreciated, Brother! :)

Reaction score
Guild Total

TX

Holy Cow you've got an amazing collection of Guilds! When did you start? Why Guilds? Share some pics?

Reaction score
Guild Total
Although its the camera mic for audio, here's me opening for my sweet buddy Livingston Taylor a couple of years ago doing "Kathy's Song" with the DV62

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Holy Cow you've got an amazing collection of Guilds! When did you start? Why Guilds? Share some pics?

Thanks Shawn. I have been buying and playing Guilds for some time as I had 5 when I signed up here for the forum. Something about this place though just opened my eyes to how lucky I am to be able to have Guilds. I had a serious accident that permanently damaged my Left shoulder and my left arm. Still trying to get it fixed but bottom line is that the Guilds just fit my hand so well even with the damage to the arm. To go from never thinking I was going to play again to being able to was amazing thing. After that I started "Collecting" so to speak. I'm really not a collector cause I play the heck out of all of them! If you can't enjoy them there isn't any point in having them.

I love Guilds because they are to me some of the highest quality guitars made and when you buy one you know you are paying for the quality and not just the name on the headstock.

I have a relatively small tribe of Guilds when compared to some others here on the forum like Grot and others, LOL! They are addicting.

TX

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks Shawn. I have been buying and playing Guilds for some time as I had 5 when I signed up here for the forum. Something about this place though just opened my eyes to how lucky I am to be able to have Guilds. I had a serious accident that permanently damaged my Left shoulder and my left arm. Still trying to get it fixed but bottom line is that the Guilds just fit my hand so well even with the damage to the arm. To go from never thinking I was going to play again to being able to was amazing thing. After that I started "Collecting" so to speak. I'm really not a collector cause I play the heck out of all of them! If you can't enjoy them there isn't any point in having them.

I love Guilds because they are to me some of the highest quality guitars made and when you buy one you know you are paying for the quality and not just the name on the headstock.

I have a relatively small tribe of Guilds when compared to some others here on the forum like Grot and others, LOL! They are addicting.

TX

TX,
Your Sound Cloud riffs are mezmering. You know how to draw out the best of the Guild you're playing.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TX,
Your Sound Cloud riffs are mezmering. You know how to draw out the best of the Guild you're playing.

Thanks Rich! I don't know how much I have to do with it, personally I think It's the Guitars, LOL!

TX

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Whenever I get the urge to get another dread, I look at the DV62 and just ask "why?" It's a rare model, impeccably made, wonderfully repaired, and sounds unlike any other guitar I've ever played. I always go into the high end rooms at the guitar stores and play the different models that are $2k and up by the various makers and always leave thinking "Man, nothing even comes close to my Guild."
I do the same thing, Rev Shawn. Have yet to match my DV-72.

Watched your posted video and, MAN!, if there is anyone to do Denver songs it's you! Your vibrato is a dead ringer for JD!

Hoping there are Guilds in heaven! :peaceful:

Reaction score
Guild Total
I do the same thing, Rev Shawn. Have yet to match my DV-72.

Watched your posted video and, MAN!, if there is anyone to do Denver songs it's you! Your vibrato is a dead ringer for JD!

Hoping there are Guilds in heaven! :peaceful:

Thanks for that! I hope there are, too! A DV-72 is a gorgeous instrument - I'm envious!! :)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good morning, Rev.
Your playlist and all the other songs I've seen mentioned throughout this thread read like MY playlist for life. Add a handful of John Prine and we're in sync.

Keep playing the great music, :encouragement:
Joe

PittPastor

Reaction score
Wow. Loved your rendition of "Kathy's Song" -- I was thinking: "If John Denver did Kathy's Song, that's how it would sound." (Maybe he did, IDK. I never heard him. I only heard Paul Simon's). Great song. Great job.

I do a cover of it, and it is a bit different. I use a variation of the pick Chapin uses in "Corey's Coming." I'd like to put it up -- not that I think it compares in quality, but it shows how different a pick can make a song. Still waiting for my D40C to get back with the new frets. Hmmm... I might give it a go on my Mark II. There's a thought...

Anyway, I wanted to answer the question I asked you, but I think that might be better in a different thread. I'd like to hear what others say.

But, funny thing is: Kathy's Song is definitely one of the top three. In no particular order:

If I am playing late at night, it is always "Stranger With the Melody" (Harry Chapin)

Otherwise it will be one of three (probably)

Kathy's Song (Paul Simon)
Corey's Coming (Harry Chapin)
Amazing Grace - Rising Son

That last song is an arrangement that I sort of put together. It starts classical Amazing Grace, then transitions into the Tune of "The House to the Rising Sun" (see what I did there in the title? If I were only half so clever on the guitar, I'd be great, I tell ya...)