Continued Appreciation For The DV62

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello!

Long-time member but infrequent contributor, here. I need to retire so I can be here more often! Only 20 more years to go...

My love affair with Guild comes from John Denver (who passed 20 years ago today, in fact). I always wanted one, and for a time had a Corona F50R. I found that the jumbo geometry hurt my playing arm, so I reluctantly sold it and drifted with different guitars until about 7 years ago. Caruso's Music in CT had a 1995 DV62 that had some splits in the sound board that Ken Nash himself did the repair work on. I took that as a good sign, took a deep breath and bought it. It was the most I'd ever spent on a guitar (I wanna say $1,100?), so I was really hoping I liked it.

I remember when it arrived and I opened the case - I did an audible gasp. It was the most stunning instrument I'd ever seen. The silking on the Sitka, despite the splits, was extraordinary. The top had mellowed into a gorgeous honey brown which contrasted the ebony bridge and fingerboard beautifully. The rosewood was a sight to behold, the Herringbone trim around the sound hole and the body was so distinctive, the mahogany neck felt perfect in my hands the way no other guitar ever has in my 40 years of playing guitars, and that ebony headstock with the MOP Chesterfield logo just about brought tears to my eyes. I could tell that this was "my" Guild.

Then I picked it up and played it. The feeling I had that first time with it has remained to this very day - an almost organic connection with it. The comfort of the neck, the vibration of the instrument, the overtones, the dynamics it is capable of...it simply blew me away. It still does every time I look at it and every time I spend time with it. I've opened for Marshall Crenshaw with it, performed with Livingston Taylor with it, with Mary Fahl from "October Project," and my favorite memories are the John Denver shows I did with my dear friend Steve Weisberg who played lead guitar for John from 1973 - 1977 and is on 7 of JD's 9 platinum albums. It holds its own ground no matter who I play with or where, and people always ask about it.

Whenever I get the urge to get another dread, I look at the DV62 and just ask "why?" It's a rare model, impeccably made, wonderfully repaired, and sounds unlike any other guitar I've ever played. I always go into the high end rooms at the guitar stores and play the different models that are $2k and up by the various makers and always leave thinking "Man, nothing even comes close to my Guild."

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the Verlon Thompson video of "The Guitar" and the essence of that tune couldn't be more true for me and my Guild. I know that holds true for so many here with your models and the stories they carry for you, too.

On its way to me right now is what will be the companion to the DV62; a 1979 G212. I can't wait to spend some time with her and see what stories she has to tell....

Feel free to share your Guild love stories in response! :)

Peace, Shawn

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Hey Rev. Shawn. Love the story.

I remember seeing a GUILD on JD's Poems, Prayers and Promises album. IIRC, it was a 12 String...?

I liked John Denver well enough, but never really thought of him as a "Guitar Player." The picture on the album wasn't what inspired me to play a Guild (my reason was much more naive!). But when someone asked me once: "Who even plays a Guild?" the only two I could think of were John Denver and Tommy Smothers! (If only Doyle Dykes hadn't been stuck on Taylor back then... that would have been a good name to drop...) But, both John Denver AND Tom Smothers were better guitarists than I ever gave them credit for. It wasn't until I really tried to play that I began to appreciate how hard some of the stuff Tommy Smothers (for example) was doing. Between the yucks, he was actually a pretty darn good player.

The fondest John Denver memory I have (which is nothing compared to yours!) was that "My Sweet Lady" was the first song I ever did on the guitar that someone actually requested. You know how when you start out people sort of politely listen to you...? And after a few tunes they sort of drift somewhere else. (Or maybe that's just me?) Well, My Sweet Lady was the first time someone actually said to me (at a party with my friends) "Hey, why don't do get out your guitar and play that Lady song?" (And since I didn't know any Stix....)

Anyway, looking forward to hearing some stuff on the new 12 string! (and I wish I could see the pictures you posted from Google pics, because they don't show here...)

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hope this works!

bumQoKdEr3h9rkH6docJkbYafYM0ZFCK-UltjW9ktzm9JwGDD7cpm9lB0rIplylC1P0CISgCuh6FEzqcNKr_M_5cHwSvUioM6CJaRVexn5yz03epHLMtMNefbEVR33gZdgpXmveErsVrb9LJWELjepsB3JKM9ZooXy8emwmY0PFIrosaoHQU4S9GdbsjWH_wbnVlg-gLfVbduuIgV3dEiJD2wgzAWjyuvXv1VeHthyoczNyLnRffB8GUwgeWsE-HwSLLIv4N3ezINRmdp_HMSS49M75yjKFhuk9xiXW9p8WYvkl_tRn-SOgHha_2UHWGnboL7tN5rK3puzecb1oBydvcp98SsAlxi6ptBVsXtYTmR3TU75gymivDD6RmDISB5RZf4XidW2wJSYsiE4u4BrbqRicDCY4QxD1-3hKFzyAzAh5vQzQ0TLQtJzN7wUGpJztQEEXOre0hmLP5cYzjH1YFR_7JdtVvlXuJ92QVZ94IOuqh_rAnKucfswzFsCBQnhKuV4uQXOAteJZzlrmVvSGMHy9TudVHy3SKpUu8nQspapQvQhx7dR3v7ax9QB6XYkOESOtBwihzykIiVd84AFBJbtZLGMwd6RbVZzNjvCE=s943-no

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, Pitt Pastor!

Yes, that was indeed a 12 string on that cover - a 212 XL. I always wanted one of those, but knowing how the jumbos bug my arm I went for the dread sized 12 string instead. JD really knew his way around a 12 string and could do some really amazing fingerpicking on his.

I read your post on "Time For A New Guild?" a number of days ago...that's a true bummer BUT I have to say that if the instrument speaks to you, keep it. The battle scars add to the mojo. And as someone far wiser than me once said, "The microphone doesn't care what the guitar looks like." If you like her voice and she feels right in your hands, keep her and just add to your collection!

I'm doing a John Denver tribute show here at the church on the 28th as a fundraiser, so I hope to have clips to put up with both the DV62 and the G212. :)

Peace to you!!

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you, Reverend, for sharing the great story and photos. Hoping the best for you with the G-212.

That is one nice looking DV62!

PittPastor

Reaction score
Finally! I see the pics. What a great guitar! Always brings a tear to my eye seeing a Guild and a Bible in the same shot ;)

I'm doing a John Denver tribute show here at the church on the 28th as a fundraiser, so I hope to have clips to put up with both the DV62 and the G212. :)

That will be great. Do you know the playlist yet?

Reaction score
Guild Total
Do I know the playlist?!? ;-)

1. Farewell Andromeda (Welcome To My Morning)
2. For Baby, For Bobbie
3. I'd Rather Be A Cowboy (Lady's Chains)
4. Aspenglow
5. Starwood In Aspen
6. Sunshine On My Shoulders
7. Follow Me
8. Leaving On A Jet Plane
9. Summer
10. Today
11. Matthew
12. Rocky Mountain Suite (Cold Nights In Canada)
13. Sweet Surrender
14. I Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado
15. Annie's Song
16. It's Up To You
17. Christmas For Cowboys
18. Darcy Farrow
19. Boy From The Country
20. Rhymes And Reasons
21. Back Home Again
22. Country Roads
23. Poems, Prayers And Promises
24. Rocky Mountain High

Encore (Whether they want one or not!)
Windsong
Catch Another Butterfly
The Eagle And The Hawk
This Old Guitar

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good to see some of the not so well known songs on your playlist. "Boy from the Country" was so hard for me to play, when I was just learning. The index finger stretch was tough. Once I could could play that song, I really felt like I had accomplished something. I still need to get all of Darcy Farrow down, with the leads and all.

Reaction score
Guild Total
I hear you, John...that stretch is a doozy. But man, what a great song about St. Francis that is. When Steve Weisberg died I had a chance to speak with Michael Martin Murphy on the phone and tell him what a role that song has played in my life. He's a very nice man (and he writes a good song, too!)

I decided to add Darcy Farrow after Hurricane Irma blew through here and we were without power for a few days. It was a delightful chance to do absolutely nothing but sit and play the guitar for hours on end so I re-taught myself that intro. Pete Huttlinger breaks it down really nicely in his "Learn The Songs Of John Denver" DVD set. Once you get going on it, it actually isn't all that hard...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Pastor, great story, awesome guitar. That top sure has turned a beautiful color!

I can identify with your reasoning. I said to my wife when I bought my DV-52 "That's it. No need to look for another dreadnaught."

She had this truss rod cover made for me for a Christmas present. Ebony inlaid with abalone.

1hFIeu8.jpg

PittPastor

Reaction score
No "My Sweet Lady?" -- Then I Ain't coming! :tongue:

But seriously, that's, what... 2 1/2 hour set?

I've always wanted to do a Tribute Night to Chapin. But I figure I'd get six people to show up, and 3 of them would leave after Cat's In The Cradle, and the rest would leave after Taxi...

I'll bet you do MUCH better. Looking forward to seeing some vids of it.

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, Dreadnut! Nice TRC!! It's funny you mention it because I was just looking online last night for some custom-made TRC's for the DV62. I had a hankering to get one made of Rosewood to match the sides and back, but I really like this ebony, too! Where did your wife get it made? When did you get your DV52?

PittPastor

Reaction score
That's a great idea! Personalize it without making it "non-stock" because if you ever did want to sell it (I mean, theoretically, of course) you could always return it to standard Guild.

Gorgeous job.

Reaction score
Guild Total
No "My Sweet Lady?" -- Then I Ain't coming! :tongue:

But seriously, that's, what... 2 1/2 hour set?

I've always wanted to do a Tribute Night to Chapin. But I figure I'd get six people to show up, and 3 of them would leave after Cat's In The Cradle, and the rest would leave after Taxi...

I'll bet you do MUCH better. Looking forward to seeing some vids of it.

Ah, Harry! Man, I love him. So many great songs to pick. I hear you, though. Most folks don't go deeply into his catalogue after those two tunes. I really love "Mr. Tanner," "Vacancy" and "Sniper." Have you heard the audio clips on YouTube of the concert Harry did in the late 70's with John, James Taylor and Gordon Lightfoot for world hunger? There's a bit of "Taxi" on there where John sings Big John Wallace's falsetto part...and NAILS it.

"My Sweet Lady" was originally in the set...maybe I'll put it back. For all the years I've done these shows, would you believe that's one I've never done live?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry, I don't remember who we got that trc from and I can't find the details, it was probably about 10 years ago. I do remember I got it "unfinished" so it gets a bit of lemon oil when I oil the fingerboard and bridge, usually when I change strings.

Not too worried about customization, my DV-52 was already customized with Paua abalone fret markers before I rescued it from a pawn shop about 15 years ago. It is a 1999 model from Westerly. I have no idea who customized it but they did a nice job. The guitar was like brand new when I found it.

A3f6vm4.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry, I don't remember who we got that trc from and I can't find the details, it was probably about 10 years ago. I do remember I got it "unfinished" so it gets a bit of lemon oil when I oil the fingerboard and bridge, usually when I change strings.

Not too worried about customization, my DV-52 was already customized with Paua abalone fret markers before I rescued it from a pawn shop about 15 years ago. It is a 1999 model from Westerly. I have no idea who customized it but they did a nice job. The guitar was like brand new when I found it.

A3f6vm4.jpg

WOW!!!! That's one gorgeous guitar!!! Love the fret markers, too!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Rev. Shawn, do you play and sing at church a lot? I'm the Music Leader at our church, but most of my "congregations" are residents of Alzheimer's Care facilities. We provide therapeutic music for about 20 different facilities on a monthly basis.
6ms9req.jpg

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Rev. Shawn, do you play and sing at church a lot? I'm the Music Leader at our church, but most of my "congregations" are residents of Alzheimer's Care facilities. We provide therapeutic music for about 20 different facilities on a monthly basis.
6ms9req.jpg

Hey, My Man...I play and sing every so often, but I try and not let it get to be the Shawn Garvey Show and do it too much...they already get enough of me every week! I do play in various capacities around my fair city of Winter Park, though, and I'm lucky and appreciative of that.

That's a wonderful music ministry that you do, though. I know what an impact music makes for those folks - keep it up! Many blessings to you :)