Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Continued Appreciation For The DV62

  1. #11
    I hear you, John...that stretch is a doozy. But man, what a great song about St. Francis that is. When Steve Weisberg died I had a chance to speak with Michael Martin Murphy on the phone and tell him what a role that song has played in my life. He's a very nice man (and he writes a good song, too!)

    I decided to add Darcy Farrow after Hurricane Irma blew through here and we were without power for a few days. It was a delightful chance to do absolutely nothing but sit and play the guitar for hours on end so I re-taught myself that intro. Pete Huttlinger breaks it down really nicely in his "Learn The Songs Of John Denver" DVD set. Once you get going on it, it actually isn't all that hard...
    Rev. Shawn Garvey
    Sr. Minister, 1st Congregational Church of Winter Park, FL
    '95 DV62
    '80 G212

  2. #12
    Senior Member dreadnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    5,640
    Hi Pastor, great story, awesome guitar. That top sure has turned a beautiful color!

    I can identify with your reasoning. I said to my wife when I bought my DV-52 "That's it. No need to look for another dreadnaught."

    She had this truss rod cover made for me for a Christmas present. Ebony inlaid with abalone.

    "A question ain't really a question when you know the answer too." John Prine

    '76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

  3. #13
    No "My Sweet Lady?" -- Then I Ain't coming!

    But seriously, that's, what... 2 1/2 hour set?

    I've always wanted to do a Tribute Night to Chapin. But I figure I'd get six people to show up, and 3 of them would leave after Cat's In The Cradle, and the rest would leave after Taxi...

    I'll bet you do MUCH better. Looking forward to seeing some vids of it.
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    1978 Guild Mark II Classical

  4. #14
    Hey, Dreadnut! Nice TRC!! It's funny you mention it because I was just looking online last night for some custom-made TRC's for the DV62. I had a hankering to get one made of Rosewood to match the sides and back, but I really like this ebony, too! Where did your wife get it made? When did you get your DV52?
    Rev. Shawn Garvey
    Sr. Minister, 1st Congregational Church of Winter Park, FL
    '95 DV62
    '80 G212

  5. #15
    That's a great idea! Personalize it without making it "non-stock" because if you ever did want to sell it (I mean, theoretically, of course) you could always return it to standard Guild.

    Gorgeous job.
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    1978 Guild Mark II Classical

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    No "My Sweet Lady?" -- Then I Ain't coming!

    But seriously, that's, what... 2 1/2 hour set?

    I've always wanted to do a Tribute Night to Chapin. But I figure I'd get six people to show up, and 3 of them would leave after Cat's In The Cradle, and the rest would leave after Taxi...

    I'll bet you do MUCH better. Looking forward to seeing some vids of it.
    Ah, Harry! Man, I love him. So many great songs to pick. I hear you, though. Most folks don't go deeply into his catalogue after those two tunes. I really love "Mr. Tanner," "Vacancy" and "Sniper." Have you heard the audio clips on YouTube of the concert Harry did in the late 70's with John, James Taylor and Gordon Lightfoot for world hunger? There's a bit of "Taxi" on there where John sings Big John Wallace's falsetto part...and NAILS it.

    "My Sweet Lady" was originally in the set...maybe I'll put it back. For all the years I've done these shows, would you believe that's one I've never done live?
    Rev. Shawn Garvey
    Sr. Minister, 1st Congregational Church of Winter Park, FL
    '95 DV62
    '80 G212

  7. #17
    Senior Member dreadnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    5,640
    Sorry, I don't remember who we got that trc from and I can't find the details, it was probably about 10 years ago. I do remember I got it "unfinished" so it gets a bit of lemon oil when I oil the fingerboard and bridge, usually when I change strings.

    Not too worried about customization, my DV-52 was already customized with Paua abalone fret markers before I rescued it from a pawn shop about 15 years ago. It is a 1999 model from Westerly. I have no idea who customized it but they did a nice job. The guitar was like brand new when I found it.

    Last edited by dreadnut; 10-12-2017 at 06:50 PM.
    "A question ain't really a question when you know the answer too." John Prine

    '76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Sorry, I don't remember who we got that trc from and I can't find the details, it was probably about 10 years ago. I do remember I got it "unfinished" so it gets a bit of lemon oil when I oil the fingerboard and bridge, usually when I change strings.

    Not too worried about customization, my DV-52 was already customized with Paua abalone fret markers before I rescued it from a pawn shop about 15 years ago. It is a 1999 model from Westerly. I have no idea who customized it but they did a nice job. The guitar was like brand new when I found it.

    WOW!!!! That's one gorgeous guitar!!! Love the fret markers, too!
    Rev. Shawn Garvey
    Sr. Minister, 1st Congregational Church of Winter Park, FL
    '95 DV62
    '80 G212

  9. #19
    Senior Member dreadnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    5,640
    Hey Rev. Shawn, do you play and sing at church a lot? I'm the Music Leader at our church, but most of my "congregations" are residents of Alzheimer's Care facilities. We provide therapeutic music for about 20 different facilities on a monthly basis.
    "A question ain't really a question when you know the answer too." John Prine

    '76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Hey Rev. Shawn, do you play and sing at church a lot? I'm the Music Leader at our church, but most of my "congregations" are residents of Alzheimer's Care facilities. We provide therapeutic music for about 20 different facilities on a monthly basis.
    Hey, My Man...I play and sing every so often, but I try and not let it get to be the Shawn Garvey Show and do it too much...they already get enough of me every week! I do play in various capacities around my fair city of Winter Park, though, and I'm lucky and appreciative of that.

    That's a wonderful music ministry that you do, though. I know what an impact music makes for those folks - keep it up! Many blessings to you :-)
    Rev. Shawn Garvey
    Sr. Minister, 1st Congregational Church of Winter Park, FL
    '95 DV62
    '80 G212

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •