Installing strap

jmascis

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the best way to go about getting a strap in place for a 2010 D-40. It only has one strap button. Do you drill in another one, or do you tie something around the headstock? If the latter, what's the best way to do this?

Thank you.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's the best way to go about getting a strap in place for a 2010 D-40. It only has one strap button. Do you drill in another one, or do you tie something around the headstock? If the latter, what's the best way to do this?

Thank you.

Some straps come with a shoelace type lace which is threaded through the slot normally used with the strap button, then around the neck just above the nut. Otherwise, you can find loop shaped contrivances from retailers such as Sweetwater or Musicians Friend which are very cheap that also connect the neck to the guitar strap. These are much easier solutions than drilling a hole and installing a strap button, though that's an excellent long term solution as well.

PittPastor

Reaction score
These are much easier solutions than drilling a hole and installing a strap button, though that's an excellent long term solution as well.

I agree with Rich although it should be pointed out that where you tie the other end of the strap will effect the balance of your guitar. If you also play electric, you will find the feel of your electric when suspended from the strap will be different than an acoustic with a strap tied to above the nut.

Simple advice would be try the tied strap first and if it doesn't feel right, then you might go to a Guitar tech and have a button installed.

Personally, I've never done it. 90% of the time I play I am seated. But YMMV.

I noticed a lot of the pro players have a button on their guitar body to take the top end of a strap.

jmascis

Reaction score
I agree with Rich although it should be pointed out that where you tie the other end of the strap will effect the balance of your guitar. If you also play electric, you will find the feel of your electric when suspended from the strap will be different than an acoustic with a strap tied to above the nut.

Simple advice would be try the tied strap first and if it doesn't feel right, then you might go to a Guitar tech and have a button installed.

Personally, I've never done it. 90% of the time I play I am seated. But YMMV.

I noticed a lot of the pro players have a button on their guitar body to take the top end of a strap.

That's good to know, too, thanks.
I come from an electric background. Instinctively tied some paracord into the strap slot last night, but I wasn't sure about it -- at times it was slipping off. I guess I need to find a better knot. Luckily my lady bought me a book of knots last year for Xmas. Had no use for it until now!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the Guild Shop and the Leather strap tie they use for fastening the strap to the headstock.

https://shop.guildguitars.com/product/guild-leather-headstock-tie-strap-brown/

Personally I prefer an actual strap pin or button affixed to the back of the neck or the base side of the guitar close to the neck joint. In New Hartford if your guitar came from the factory with a pickup it also came with an upper strap pin located in one of the two positions I listed above. Besides balance another reason I prefer the actual screwed in strap pin is to avoid any more tension than necessary at the String nut/base of the headstock area. I know some may think I sound paranoid but that area is already under 150-200lbs of pressure in one direction from the tension of the strings. By attaching a strap to that same point you are introducing tension that can vary in strength at a different angle than the string tension that is already pulling on the neck. Will it make a difference for normal playing? Probably not, If someone accidentally exerts some downward force on the guitar while the strap is anchored at that point will it damage the guitar? Possibly as I have seen this happen in the past on stage.

By installing a strap button on the body or base of the neck itself it allows you to keep from putting unwanted stress on the headstock/string nut area of the guitar, at least in my opinion. Others may vary. Just an opinion of course.

Here is a link to an earlier forum post with photos of the upper strap pin location.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showth...-(exact)-location&highlight=Strap+positioning

You can also choose to install strap locks as opposed to a regular strap pin to further lessen the chance of the guitar coming loose while playing.

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
By installing a strap button on the body or base of the neck itself it allows you to keep from putting unwanted stress on the headstock/string nut area of the guitar, at least in my opinion. Others may vary. Just an opinion of course.
gopher-flickr-alan-schmierer-feature.jpg

Did somebody say strap-button thread?

The primary reason I'd want a button on the body or the heel is ergonomic: I never met a strap attached to the headstock by a string that didn't get in the way of my thumb up there.
Later on I did also realize it's probably not the greatest place to put more tension on the neck, as you mention.
2 reasons not to attach a strap at the headstock is enough for me.
:friendly_wink:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have strap buttons installed on the heels of both my dreads. But a leather lace looped around the headstock between the top two sets of tuners works good as well, holds the guitar securely, and is easily removed after playing. Often, people attach the strap to the neck with a loop just above the nut and under the strings, but I find this interferes with my chording hand and can't be removed unless you untie it.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Besides balance another reason I prefer the actual screwed in strap pin is to avoid any more tension than necessary at the String nut/base of the headstock area. I know some may think I sound paranoid but that area is already under 150-200lbs of pressure in one direction from the tension of the strings. By attaching a strap to that same point you are introducing tension that can vary in strength at a different angle than the string tension that is already pulling on the neck.
Wow...I never considered this!
Thx TX!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Attaching to the headstock behind the nut shifts the guitar to my right and makes fretting much easier for me. I don't like extra stress on the neck but when I use a strap button the guitar hangs too far to the left and I can't reach the frets as well.

Which is why I play sitting down...... LOL!!

jedzep

Reaction score

crank

Reaction score
I have always used a shoelace above the nut and under the strings. I am a sailor and knots are not a problem. I did, however, recently change my shoelace...it was looking kind of worn and it would really suck if it broke while in use. I play a lot of electric and I have no problems with the strap going to the head rather than the heel on my acoustics.

swiveltung

Reaction score
I bought a accessory for tying to the headstock that has a clip to undo it easily. Frankly I dont like the headstock option though. I installed a strap butt near the heel where others of this model had them. I assume some were factory install . Lots of pictures on line to figure that out.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I bought a accessory for tying to the headstock that has a clip to undo it easily. Frankly I dont like the headstock option though. I installed a strap butt near the heel where others of this model had them. I assume some were factory install . Lots of pictures on line to figure that out.

You might want to think about that backing block I mentioned in post #13, if it wasn't considered beforehand.

jmascis

Reaction score
Also note that when Guild installed 'em on the side of the guitar, they also installed a reinforcement block inside at that point, during the build.

That's very good to know if I go that route. Any downside to that? I imagine it adds some weight, but does it change tone or compromise the structure in any way?

I wondered about the pressure on the neck with the headstock option, but I thought I was being paranoid...seems others agree it could be a legit concern though.