Carvin goes under

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
At least the audio part. The guitars are being made under the Kiesel brand now. If you are looking for a tube amp, they are 25% off.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm honestly amazed Carvin has lasted this long.

I remember lusting over the catalog back when Craig Chaquico was on it (probably 1979 or 80?). I ended up buying a Guild S300AD instead and here we are.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A friend of mine brought over a Carvin ss amp because it was cutting out. The entire amp is a 6x2 inch strip in a cavernous chassis. When it finally craps out, I plan on building an 18 watt with reverb in it. Literally impossible to service.

Alan_M

Reaction score
I live in San Diego, where Carvin is headquartered, and I've only visited their shop once. They make great guitars and all, but I never really was hooked by them. I've always wondered why I almost never see anyone playing their gear. Maybe the reliance on their factory direct model just couldn't get a big national audience?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sad to see one of the smaller guys fold. I think we'll be seeing more of this (particularly on the acoustic front) as more of the established luthiers pack it in and retire.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing Timothy B. Schmit playing some of their Carvin Bass Guitars when The Eagles first got back together in the 90's. I have a few friends who have had their stuff and from what they said the Tube amps Carvin made were always a little on the Lacking side but then again for the price you really couldn't complain. Never heard any serious complaints about their guitars. As a matter of fact I almost bought a Carvin Bass to start learning Bass guitar but then the shoulder sprung up and that long reach went out the window. LOL!

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The complaints I've read about Carvin are that you can't get neck binding and that they have absolutely terrible resale value.

dbirchett

Reaction score
This is the Carvin that was always the most intriguing to me.

ae18512-umberstainsunsetburstflame-68458.jpg

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I used to get the Carvin catalog too, back in the early ‘80s. I had a thing for semi-hollow guitars at the time, though this was years before I owned one, and for whatever reason a Carvin semi had caught my eye. Then I read a review, probably in Guitar Player, that knocked that very model for having poor acoustic resonance. :) Haven’t paid much attention to ‘em since.

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
There were two catalogs I remember being fond of in my teenage years. One of them was Carvin.
I also had a Carvin catalog I used to riffle through constantly, but they were always a bit too flashy for my tastes.

I think it's a drag when any independent maker goes under. Certain series of their bass amps have a great reputation, and there's a devoted fan bass over at the Talk Bass forum.

jcwu

Reaction score
The other had to be either Sears or Amway?

Musician's Friend, of course.

I still remember getting permission from my dad to order a DOD distortion pedal, and he suggested I also add a capo into the order.