New to LTG: On the hunt for a new smaller-body Guild!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and hope all of you are doing well on this dreary Monday afternoon.

I am on the search for a new Guild. I became a convert earlier this year when I picked up an M-120 Westerly. I had played Taylor primarily before, but I find myself exclusively playing my Guild now. I am obsessed with the warm tone and impossibly comfortable size!

My question is: have any of y'all played the new M-40s? I want a guitar similar in size to the M-120 but with the Spruce/Hog (or Spruce/Rosewood) combo. There aren't many reviews online about the M-40 (which surprises me because there are a ton about the M-20).

Any suggestions--Vintage or New--are greatly appreciated! I would also be interested in knowing y'all's thoughts on USA Made vs. Import.

Thanks so much

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I'd say to pick the one that feels/sounds good to you. We all have opinions but you're going to pony up the $$ so the ball's in your court.

Enjoy your Guild, whichever one you choose, :encouragement:
Joe

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome!
As you can see from my sig, I'm a big fan of the smaller bodied Guild acoustics. What is called the M40 by the current Guild management, was known for the rest of its history as the F-20. It was only offered as a spruce/hog combination, no rosewood unless you want to go one size bigger to the F-30R (Paul Simon's favorite.)
I can't speak to the new version, but there are many vintage F-20s available. Throughout its history it's specs changed as far as scale length and nut width, so be sure to check that to get close to what you prefer.
Here's a video I made comparing the M-20 to the F-20.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG. I don't know where you are, but it was BEAUTIFUL here in Las Vegas today. More opinions are coming, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Welcome!
As you can see from my sig, I'm a big fan of the smaller bodied Guild acoustics. What is called the M40 by the current Guild management, was known for the rest of its history as the F-20. It was only offered as a spruce/hog combination, no rosewood unless you want to go one size bigger to the F-30R (Paul Simon's favorite.)
I can't speak to the new version, but there are many vintage F-20s available. Throughout its history it's specs changed as far as scale length and nut width, so be sure to check that to get close to what you prefer.
Here's a video I made comparing the M-20 to the F-20.

This is a wonderful video comparison and thanks so much for the info! An F-30R would be very cool, but that would likely be down the road. I think the F-20 is what I'm after.

I love the 24 3/4" scale and 1 3/4" nut on my M-120, so I think I would like the same on whatever is next.

Have you noticed a distinct difference between import and USA-made? Which has been your favorite over the years? Unfortunately, here in VA, it's slim pickins when it comes to Guild dealers and quality vintage guitar stores so, as much as I hate to order online, that is looking like the best option unless I get lucky...

Thank y'all so much for the warm welcome!

Reaction score
This is a wonderful video comparison and thanks so much for the info! An F-30R would be very cool, but that would likely be down the road. I think the F-20 is what I'm after at the moment.

I love the 24 3/4" scale and 1 3/4" nut on my M-120, so I think I would like the same on whatever is next.

Have you noticed a distinct difference between import and USA-made? Which has been your favorite over the years? Unfortunately, here in VA, it's slim pickins when it comes to Guild dealers and quality vintage guitar stores so, as much as I hate to order online, that is looking like the best option unless I get lucky...

Thank y'all so much for the warm welcome!