Guild D-40 Adirondack Who Has One?

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
For several years, I have been desiring a guitar with an Adirondack top.
Guild produced such a guitar in Tacoma and I think New Hartford.

Does anyone here own one of these guitars?
If so, how do you compare it to a D-40 with a Sitka top?

Would you prefer Adirondack over Sitka?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 model D40 Bluegrass with the Adirondack top and Hog back and sides and it was a wonderful guitar. The main differences I found between it and a Sitka topped D40 is that the Sitka top had more warmth to it but a much lower ceiling. What I mean by that is when you get to strumming the Sitka model heavy the tone can get a little muddy if you are playing really hard. The Adirondack model had no ceiling as far as I could tell and the tone stayed clear no matter how hard you strummed it. The Adirondack model also was quite a bit louder than the Sitka model which is why Bluegrass lovers love Adirondack tops. They can compete volume wise with a Banjo without losing the clarity of individually picked notes or chords. It does take a bit longer for an Adirondack top to play in or Loosen up a bit due to their stiffness. This also allows for a thinner top with the same strength as a thicker Sitka top. When I think Sitka I think Warmth and balance. When I think Adirondack I think Punchy, Clear, and loud.

The Adirondack D40's from New Hartford were mostly just labeled "D40" on the labels even though they had the same materials and specs as the Tacoma made D40 Bluegrass models. The way to identify a New Hartford D40 with an Adirondack top is of course first off the Adirondack top. The other appointments are having a real Mother of Pearl Guild Chesterfield logo inlaid in a Real Ebony wood face plate on the headstock. They also have Tortoise shell binding on the body both front and back as well as the neck and heel cap. Should have a rosewood fretboard and bridge with real MOP dot inlays on the fretboard from the ones I have seen. As far as value I have seen them sell for as little as $800 on a smoking deal to around $1400 on the high side. Hope this helps!

Here is a link to one that was listed here on the forum for sale at AGF. You can see in the pictures the Binding and headstock that I mentioned earlier. Not to mention that is one of the prettiest burst finishes I have seen.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?194273-2011-D-40-BGJ-at-AGF

TX

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
What TX says is everything I've ever read about Adi vs Sitka tops when doing research, and it matches the Adi guitars I've played in shops. I read that over time the Adi ages and gets more mellow like Sitka. If so, that would be amazing.

I prefer the warmth of the sitka. I own a D-40 from New Hardford with Sitka, but it has Adi bracing. I'm not sure if the bracing adds anything to the tone, but to me it sounds a bit punchier that I'd expect, so maybe it does a bit.

6L6

Reaction score
One of the dumbest things I've ever done was to sell my 2006 Tacoma-built D-40BJ. Equipped with a K&K pickup, it sounded fantastic both plugged and unplugged.

I will own another one some day for sure!

I preferred the somewhat brighter sound of that guitar over my 1974 D-40NT. And, the neck on my 2006 was to die for!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
One of the dumbest things I've ever done was to sell my 2006 Tacoma-built D-40BJ.

The Adirondack D40's from New Hartford were mostly just labeled "D40" on the labels even though they had the same materials and specs as the Tacoma made D40 Bluegrass models. The way to identify a New Hartford D40 with an Adirondack top is of course first off the Adirondack top. The other appointments are having a real Mother of Pearl Guild Chesterfield logo inlaid in a Real Ebony wood face plate on the headstock. They also have Tortoise shell binding on the body both front and back as well as the neck and heel cap. Should have a rosewood fretboard and bridge with real MOP dot inlays on the fretboard from the ones I have seen. As far as value I have seen them sell for as little as $800 on a smoking deal to around $1400 on the high side. Hope this helps!

TMG you probably remember this, but for other newer members who might be following, as far as D40's, ONLY the "Bluegrass Jubilee" ("BJ") D40's from Tacoma and NH got Adi tops.
It was the defining characteristic of the "Bluegrass" models.
"Richie Havens" models and "D40 Standards" will not have Adi tops, and no pre-Tacoma models will either.
(I recently saw a Corona D40 on eekBay advertised as being a "Bluegrass" model with an Adi top, recently. Trust us, no Adi OR Bluegrass models were made in Corona.)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I prefer the warmth of the sitka. I own a D-40 from New Hardford with Sitka, but it has Adi bracing. I'm not sure if the bracing adds anything to the tone, but to me it sounds a bit punchier that I'd expect, so maybe it does a bit.
It wouldn't surprise me but I've also heard that the primary reason for that is that the adi, being denser and stronger, allowed for thinner lighter bracing which improves top resonance in any case.
As far as I can it was standard on all models starting in Tacoma.
Having said that, I'm having a foggy memory of possible exceptions, primarily in the "Contemporary" series which featured several new and unusual design elements which distinguished them from the "traditionals" like D40's and D50's.

Reaction score
My D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee is in my lap as I type this. I have a custom shop Martin D-18 with Adirondack top that is dwarfed by this Guild. I had a few Westerlies that I sold so I could own the two New Hartfords I own now.

The red spruce Guilds from New Hartford and Tacoma are, IMHO, the best ever produced by the company.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
. . .
One thing I'd add to this is that in New Hartford, the "Standard" series guitars -- as in a "D-40 Standard" -- were (I think) made with Sitka tops. There was no Standard series in Tacoma, so the naming is a little confusing. There are other differences between the Standard series guitars and their Traditional series namesakes. Just FYI.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes there were D40 Standards in New Hartford with Sitka Tops and white binding. They were marked "D40 STD" on the label.

Tacoma actually produced the D40 "Richie Havens Model" for a time and they had Sitka tops as well.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

TMG, I think we all jumped on the D40 because that's what you asked about, but be aware the D50 Bluegrass models from Tacoma and New Hartford had adi tops as well, in case a rosewood body guitar is also worth considering.
Also, Tacoma F40's got adi tops, but I can't remember how New Hartford handled 'em.
I recall they did at least one GSR F40 but think it was Carpathian spruce top, and they did F47's but don't remember if those got adi or not.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had an early D-40 BJ from New Hartford. Bought it at a guitar show at a bargain price. It was a nice guitar. Lots of volume and "piano tone".

Reaction score
My 64 D40 with a sitka top rings like a bell when I play with my fingers. I have had many Adi tops and some sitka but the ol' 64 is fine. You only need Adi if you are a hard flatpicker, but then again there were many 1950 Martins that were sitka that rule bluegrass these daze.

'

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My 64 D40 with a sitka top rings like a bell when I play with my fingers. I have had many Adi tops and some sitka but the ol' 64 is fine. You only need Adi if you are a hard flatpicker, but then again there were many 1950 Martins that were sitka that rule bluegrass these daze.

'

I must say the Adirondack that Guild used for Tacoma and New Hartford builds has a different characteristic to it than the stuff that I have played on Martins and other brands. It does have the volume and Crisp tonal attributes but the Guild stuff really has an amazing touch response to it. I have 4 Guilds with Adirondack tops and scalloped Adirondack bracing, a D55RS and Orpheum 12 fret OM 12 string in Rosewood and also a Jumbo Orpheum and 12 fret Slope Orpheum in Hog. The "Sweet Spot" as I like to call it has a rather wide range that allows the guitars to really ring with the lightest of touch fingerpicking or blow the roof off the joint when you really dig in with a pick. The D40BJ I had and unfortunately sold had the same characteristics as well. Don't know if that was a Guild thing or just a result of the wood stock they used but it has been consistent over all the Guild Adi topped guitars I have played from 2006-2014. Most of the other Adi top guitars from other Manufacturers needed to be driven before they started singing where as the Guilds sounded more open right off the bat.

One of my Favorite Martin Guitars of all time is the Adi topped D18GE or Golden Era. I was blown away when I A/B'ed the Guild D40BJ against the D18GE and the Guild just flat out performed the Martin in almost every way possible. I was sad because I really liked the Martin but at less than half the cost the Guild won out.

TX

Reaction score
I agree with in all respects, the Adi is stiffer and takes more time to open up and sitka is quicker to presenting it full spectrum. Again Adi is not the best for finger style. I also had a GE once and it lasted about a month, I bought at that time a Roy Noble Ad/Braz that I wish I still had! Again in regard to flat pickers Clarence White and Doc Watson. John Hurt and Dave Von Ronk finger stylists had sitka topped.Tony Rice Adi. It depend on what you are looking for.

jmascis

Reaction score
I agree with in all respects, the Adi is stiffer and takes more time to open up and sitka is quicker to presenting it full spectrum. Again Adi is not the best for finger style. I also had a GE once and it lasted about a month, I bought at that time a Roy Noble Ad/Braz that I wish I still had! Again in regard to flat pickers Clarence White and Doc Watson. John Hurt and Dave Von Ronk finger stylists had sitka topped.Tony Rice Adi. It depend on what you are looking for.

How do you feel about adi bracing in a sitka top? Do you think it stiffens things or makes for a punchier tone at all?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about adi bracing in a sitka top? Do you think it stiffens things or makes for a punchier tone at all?

In Tacoma it was done so they could get the same stiffness as sitka braces with less mass. They could use thinner braces.
Allowed the tops to move a little more freely, whether Sitka or Adi.
I can't speak to final tone from personal experience, though.

jmascis

Reaction score
In Tacoma it was done so they could get the same stiffness as sitka braces with less mass. They could use thinner braces.
Allowed the tops to move a little more freely, whether Sitka or Adi.
I can't speak to final tone from personal experience, though.

Yeah I like the stiffness because I feel it might keep the neck from needing a reset earlier...stiff bracing might keep things in place. Maybe I'm crazy? Haha.

I've played a lot of guitars in shops with sitka tops and the standard woods for bracing, and they sound very good. My D-40 Adi bracing sounds slightly different from them. It sounds really good as well, but to my ear just a little more "punch" and articulation in the tone of the note being struck.

beecee

Reaction score
I like mine so much I got rid of what should have been my holy grail guitar, my F-50R. Just the best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

Clean, simple but everyone in the room looks up when you strum it.

Well...when I strum it correctly

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...everyone in the room looks up when you strum it.

Ain't THAT the case ! Of course, when you mess up, it FEELS like everyone in the room takes notice.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I like mine so much I got rid of what should have been my holy grail guitar, my F-50R. Just the best sounding guitar I have ever owned.

Clean, simple but everyone in the room looks up when you strum it.

The Tacoma built and the Richie Havens Tacoma built were the same structurally? Sitka w/Adi bracing?