RIP Tom Petty

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This just SUCKS! Another one of my Songwriting Heroes. There are conflicting reports right now of his current state but all I have been able to see so far was that he was found unconscious and unresponsive Sunday Evening supposedly in a state of cardiac arrest and was rushed to the hospital where he was put on life support. I know the chances are extremely slim but I truly hope he pulls through. Such an Icon that always did things his way and without a doubt one of the true pioneers that changed the face of music forever. What a sad sad day with everything else going on.

TX

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kinda sittin' / strumming vigil for Tom Petty tonight... not the kind of thing I ordinarily do. But early this morning, I'll be damned...
right before I left for work, I opened the messy song folder and turned to Wild Flowers, looking to work out
a different key / chord arrangement... never was happy with the way I played the bridge sequence. And I
worked it out right then and there, and it was so RIGHT. Left for work happy.

Thoughts and musical memories going back to high school are about Tom Petty this evening,
and also praise for a Guild 12-string not mentioned often around here but is just a sweetheart and
in some ways is more satisfying to play than my F212XL - this is what I'm making some noise on right now...

BSIASVB.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Right TX? I've had a rough day here with people checking in and 3 people I know getting shot (they're gonna be okay) and everything else and then this. Tom Petty was my huge link to rock and roll. He was the best to me and he's part of the soundtrack of my life. And I'm not talking background music either!! Full Moon Fever was in my house and car and EVERYWHERE, because when the Tom Petty mood hit.... it couldn't be denied!! I swear, I don't wanna sound unstable but I've had a hard time with people checking in okay (THANK GOD) and knowing that even though he's not dead, he's on the brink. I'm okay for a minute and then I'm crying like a baby. What a $hitty A$$ day........ :sorrow::sorrow:

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This is one of my favs of his. I used to love this video in the MTV Hey Day back in the eighties. Like Davisman mentioned earlier he was a major part of the soundtrack of my life from the time I was a kid to a grown man, Not to mention all the hits he wrote that made it big for other artists as well like Stevie Nicks and others.

TX

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
RIP Charley T. Wilbury / Tom Petty You gave us the gift of music - simple, honest and from the heart - and we thank you for that special gift.

You are learning to fly with a new set of wings
While we learn to live, with your songs to sing.....

Reaction score
I was lucky in November 1979 to get a lighting gig at the Whiskey on the Sunset Strip and Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers where my fist gig, They were doing a special show after two nights at The Forum.

RIP TP