What's up with this DV52?

poser

Reaction score
The pictures don't show some of the crucial things like if the bridge is tight, saddle height and fret wear. The description said MOP inlay; I see the older herringbone inlay. But that's just a matter of personal preference. It's worth a phone call at least. That is a fantastic price.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Grab it! Looks nice, the MOP inlays are in the headstock, herringbone purfling around the soundhole, satin finish, great price, even if it needs some work. Gold plated tuners are very shiny which means it ain't been played a lot.

Last edited:

Daveyo

Reaction score
play it and check it out and buy it if you can,
killer deal
David

jmascis

Reaction score
But it's a 5hr drive, and that price seems so fishy... I wrote the guy to ask what's up.

A bit concerned it's stolen, because if it's in good shape, why would anyone sell it for 350?

beecee

Reaction score
Stop fretting.

Buy it.

I'm sure someone here will take it off your hands if u don't like it

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A bit concerned it's stolen, because if it's in good shape, why would anyone sell it for 350?

If it's stolen, it's kind of a bust to put it up on craigslist. He apparently wants to sell it fast, for whatever reason....

But it's a 5hr drive, and that price seems so fishy... I wrote the guy to ask what's up.

Yeah, that's a long drive. The saddle doesn't look too bad. Ebony board! Definitely ask questions, as in, "how's the action?" And "Will you hold it till I get there?" :tiger:

wileypickett

Reaction score
I'd check it out if I was anywhere near.

If someone was trying to get rid of stolen property, they'd be stupid to try Craigslist -- it's the first place people look -- and they wouldn't include their phone number in their ads.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'd check it out if I was anywhere near.

If someone was trying to get rid of stolen property, they'd be stupid to try Craigslist -- it's the first place people look -- and they wouldn't include their phone number in their ads.

I agree, and there's the s/n stamped right on the headstock besides, but I'd get a pic of the old "straightedge check for neck alignment" before driving 5 hours.
Each way.
If not possible/refused, don't lose any sleep over it.
Fresno's hot and dry and there could be other issues with it whether the seller's aware or 'em or not.
But I think they're aware of something at that price.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Um ... man you know a year or more back there was a guy selling a Guild in the same area it looks like the same Guitar and it was Craigslist .

The Guitar was a deal then to something seemed fishy and I think I even called with no return call questioning the guitar .

Now it looks like the same ad , It’s been awhile but I feel I’m close to right .

Watch your back on this is all I say please.

Reaction score
I'll probably take some crap for what I'm about to write. I've seen a lot of your posts since you joined a couple of months ago and it seems like you just want to buy every Guild under the sun. Tread slowly. Hanging around here, it's easy to get caught up in the hype of buying various types of Guilds and ending up with a house full of guitars you don't play.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'll probably take some crap for what I'm about to write. I've seen a lot of your posts since you joined a couple of months ago and it seems like you just want to buy every Guild under the sun. Tread slowly. Hanging around here, it's easy to get caught up in the hype of buying various types of Guilds and ending up with a house full of guitars you don't play.

I'm assuming you mean the OP, Jmascis, and I assume you're trying to offer sincere friendly advice.
I've also followed most if not all of his posts, I think, and I think he's had a lot of focus and knows what he really wants even though he's tried I think 3 different guitars trying to get there.
That includes 2 brand new M20's which flunked what most of us expect from basic traditional Guild QC standards, so I gotta give 'im credit for even sticking with the brand after that.
IIRC what he'd really like is a somewhat rare combo of body size, nut width, and scale length. (F30 with 24-3/4" scale and 1-3/4" nut would actually fit his original wish list of specs perfectly)
Not even sure Guild ever actually made an F30 with that scale and nut together, and he's been willing to look at compromises in the meantime.
He did buy a New Hartford D40 even though he'd prefer a shorter scale, and as far as I remember that's all he's bought so far.
In your defense, you are right, a lot of folks who join up do wind up buying several Guilds....so it's a fair warning!
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I don't think Jmascis wants to buy every Guild under the sun, I think he is just asking questions and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible on what Guilds from different time periods and body styles have to offer and trying to find which guitar fits his playing style the best. To me that is a pretty smart thing to do to be well informed about a guitar you might be interested in so you know what you are walking into before you make a decision to try one out or even make a purchase. Also I can speak from experience, It is really Awesome to have a house full of Guilds that you play regularly and all bring something different to the table. I enjoy playing each and every one of mine. What is the point in having them if you don't?:single_eye: Just an opinion as always.

TX

jmascis

Reaction score
Um ... man you know a year or more back there was a guy selling a Guild in the same area it looks like the same Guitar and it was Craigslist .

The Guitar was a deal then to something seemed fishy and I think I even called with no return call questioning the guitar .

Now it looks like the same ad , It’s been awhile but I feel I’m close to right .

Watch your back on this is all I say please.

Thanks. I wrote him without any response, so I'm going to forget this one.

Something feels wrong about it!

jmascis

Reaction score

Oh my GF would kill me if I did that. She's already complaining we're out of space, and I own only 1 Guild.
But a bass and 2 electrics in a 1br apt gets cluttered.

I wanted a DV-52 because I bought one off reverb and loved it, but UPS cracked it. So I've been looking for a replacement.
I also want a smaller/blues guitar that's lower tension and easier on my hands, so sometimes I ask about those.

Been to a lot of shops the past year looking at guitars and realize I like dreads for many things but for daily practice I prefer smaller, woody tone of a small mahogany guitar. The D-40 will be my dread, so now I need to find a smaller guitar. Might not wind up being a Guild. The DV-52...I do want one b/c that one I had was great. But I'd only buy one cheap since I don't really need one anymore.

Ps. Why do you follow my posts so closely?

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
jmascis, I'm following your posts too... you ask good questions, for one thing...
and you're on a quest just like I am, just taking it a little slower than me :peaceful:

jmascis

Reaction score
jmascis, I'm following your posts too... you ask good questions, for one thing...
and you're on a quest just like I am, just taking it a little slower than me :peaceful:

Haha. Fair enough.

You must be the guy buying them all before I get to them!

wileypickett

Reaction score
That doesn't seem to be what's happening here, but even if someone does want to buy "every Guild under the sun" (what a good name for a website, or something!), if they can afford it, more power to 'em, and what business is it of mine? Go, cat, go!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I wrote him without any response, so I'm going to forget this one.

Something feels wrong about it!

See I was right ! Mark this down in the book guys ! I stepped away from the crumbling edge ! Haha :)