1980s Black sparkle content!

nmiller

Reaction score
Not quite as purple-spandex-and-peroxide-hair as the X-702, but still a respectable ambassador for the 1980s:

tECKgnK.jpg

VeNdTLn.jpg

ubxGWxC.jpg

I was a little skeptical that three pickups were really necessary on a bass, but the middle pickup actually does change the sound in a very noticeable way when combined with either the neck or bridge. It also has a unique sound of its own. I thought the switches were just on/off, but it turns out they're 3-way on/off/on with opposite phases, which gives a wide variety of sounds. The bass has a few dings, but they're mostly hidden around the edges of the body where neither I nor the audience can see them. Best of all, this is considerably lighter than the other contemporary Guild basses I've played.

I do have a couple of questions about the originality of parts. The 1982 Guild catalog shows plastic speed knobs; are these Tele-style ones definitely replacements? I actually prefer them to speed knobs, so no complaints either way. Also, the two strap pins don't match - original or not?

ZRfHcjg.jpg

ka9lTkx.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do have a couple of questions about the originality of parts. The 1982 Guild catalog shows plastic speed knobs; are these Tele-style ones definitely replacements? I actually prefer them to speed knobs, so no complaints either way. Also, the two strap pins don't match - original or not?

ZRfHcjg.jpg

ka9lTkx.jpg
The knobs are the same as were on my (just sold) Pilot, except in chrome vs. black. And the end pin looks like the tapered metal end pin that was on my S-275, which also had a screwed in upper bout pin.
I vote original.

nmiller

Reaction score
Thanks!

I guess I shouldn't rely too heavily on that catalog picture; after all, it shows a split pickup in the middle, while most of this model have a straight one like mine.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The knobs are the same as were on my (just sold) Pilot, except in chrome vs. black. And the end pin looks like the tapered metal end pin that was on my S-275, which also had a screwed in upper bout pin.
I vote original.

AcornHouse is right as far as the strap pins are concerned; the knobs are not original though. During that particular period Guild only used pots with a knurled shaft; all knobs were push-on and didn't need a set-screw.

This photo shows the knobs that should be on your bass:

SB203_detail.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

nmiller

Reaction score
Thanks Hans! The pots are knurled split-shaft, so hopefully everything under the pickguard is still original.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Everything about that bass is wicked cool!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I will admit I'm 100% a vintage Starfire bass fanboy, but beyond that, this is the next coolest guild bass as far as I'm concerned (sparkle finish and all). I am drooling and jealous. Cheers on a killer bass! Would love to add a 34" Guild like this to the stable.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice, although the sparkle on the back of the neck has me scratching my head. It makes sense but doesn't seem "right".