Thread: 1980s Black sparkle content!

1980s Black sparkle content!

Not quite as purple-spandex-and-peroxide-hair as the X-702, but still a respectable ambassador for the 1980s:

I was a little skeptical that three pickups were really necessary on a bass, but the middle pickup actually does change the sound in a very noticeable way when combined with either the neck or bridge. It also has a unique sound of its own. I thought the switches were just on/off, but it turns out they're 3-way on/off/on with opposite phases, which gives a wide variety of sounds. The bass has a few dings, but they're mostly hidden around the edges of the body where neither I nor the audience can see them. Best of all, this is considerably lighter than the other contemporary Guild basses I've played.

I do have a couple of questions about the originality of parts. The 1982 Guild catalog shows plastic speed knobs; are these Tele-style ones definitely replacements? I actually prefer them to speed knobs, so no complaints either way. Also, the two strap pins don't match - original or not?

Old Frets: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    I do have a couple of questions about the originality of parts. The 1982 Guild catalog shows plastic speed knobs; are these Tele-style ones definitely replacements? I actually prefer them to speed knobs, so no complaints either way. Also, the two strap pins don't match - original or not?

The knobs are the same as were on my (just sold) Pilot, except in chrome vs. black. And the end pin looks like the tapered metal end pin that was on my S-275, which also had a screwed in upper bout pin.
    I vote original.
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/

Thanks!

I guess I shouldn't rely too heavily on that catalog picture; after all, it shows a split pickup in the middle, while most of this model have a straight one like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AcornHouse View Post
    The knobs are the same as were on my (just sold) Pilot, except in chrome vs. black. And the end pin looks like the tapered metal end pin that was on my S-275, which also had a screwed in upper bout pin.
    I vote original.
    AcornHouse is right as far as the strap pins are concerned; the knobs are not original though. During that particular period Guild only used pots with a knurled shaft; all knobs were push-on and didn't need a set-screw.

This photo shows the knobs that should be on your bass:

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks Hans! The pots are knurled split-shaft, so hopefully everything under the pickguard is still original.

Everything about that bass is wicked cool!

I will admit I'm 100% a vintage Starfire bass fanboy, but beyond that, this is the next coolest guild bass as far as I'm concerned (sparkle finish and all). I am drooling and jealous. Cheers on a killer bass! Would love to add a 34" Guild like this to the stable.

Blog Entries
    Nice, although the sparkle on the back of the neck has me scratching my head. It makes sense but doesn't seem "right".
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Nice, although the sparkle on the back of the neck has me scratching my head. It makes sense but doesn't seem "right".
    It's so you can play for strippers without the wife knowing.
    Chris
    ---
    '56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '61 M-20, '62 F-20, '64 S-50 Jetstar, '64 Mark II, '65 SFIV, '71 S-90, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVp, '81 M-80,
    '82 S-275, '86 T-250, '88 Detonator, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird, '99 F-30, '16 NS S-200 Thunderbird
    '54 Masteramp, '60 99j, '63 200-S, '66 Thunderbass, '69 Thunderstar, '92 G-500
    Acorn House
    '08 Parlor, '10 Butternut Deuce, '13 Rounder, '14 Kulakeiki

'94 G&L Legacy
    '03 Elder Lute
    ---
    http://acornhouseworkshop.com/