Oxnard D55 Burst Issues?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get some more sets of eyes on this 2017 Guild D55 Burst finish being offered Brand New From L.A. Guitar Sales on Ebay. Does it look like the Burst pattern is squeezed in towards the sound hole and uneven at the bottom center to you? Also the top looks to either have some serious runout or not really book matched. Could this just be a product of the lighting? It has some pretty Rosewood on the back of it. Here is the pic from the ad, you can open it in a new tab and zoom in if you like.

guid55atb-c171158-2.jpg

Here is the link to the ad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Guild-U...280094?hash=item362265065e:g:UywAAOSwJatZzbwV

TX

jcwu

Reaction score
It almost looks like they finished the top as two separate pieces then put them together...

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
Not the best job, but sometimes pix lie.

I would have liked to see a bit more blending on the burst. It almost goes straight from almost black to tobacco, if that's the right term.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I do not like the way the burst was applied. It should've been feathered more and the dark portion not so pronounced. Also, the width of the burst should've been narrower at the upper bout and a little wider at the lower bout to compliment the shape of the guitar and give it balance. Poorly matched top, but the RW is very nice.

deebeewhy

Reaction score
If not too late, I will be up there in a couple of weeks and could take a look, TX. As an aside, not a big fan of the shop, FWIW.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd like to see the guit in person, but just from that pic, not a fan of that 'burst at all. And I'm one that loves a nice 'burst.

"It almost looks like they finished the top as two separate pieces then put them together..."

That was my thought as well. Me no likey.

tommym

Reaction score
If it doesn't look right, then it's probably up to specs......for a Guild.:applouse:

Tommy

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It almost looks like they finished the top as two separate pieces then put them together...
That's exactly what I was gonna say!! It's a bit off but it's still pretty. The seam on the bookmatched spruce is very evident, and even more so as you move to the bottom. I can see why they chose it for a burst, and possibly why the shaded part is so wide, just to cover as much as possible.

Still pretty, though.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Man, at $3,339, everything should be spot-on. Especially given that this is an iconic model.

No way that top should have gone on Guild's top-of-the-line dreadnought.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What is runout in the top? Not familiar with the terminology...
Runout is where the lengthwise grain doesn't run perfectly parallel to the top surface. As a result, the light reflects differently (and stain absorbs differently) on Book matched tops, resulting in a mismatch look along the center seam. It's more a cosmetic issue, but, if it's too severe, it can cause other issues.

Neal

Reaction score
Runout also suggests that the wood might not have been perfectly quartersawn, or that there might have been a slight twist in the tree.

There is a lot of magnificent sitka out there at this guitar's price point. I can't imagine that Oxnard doesnt have access.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris and Neal - thanks! Have seen that condition many times, just didn't know
what to call it, now I do.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Bonneville, this is runout and how it happens.....

runout8.jpg

bQy9ES.jpg

The angle of the concentric rings change as you move away from the central boards on the quarter, creating an angle which reflects the light differently. At least that's how I'd describe it. Does that help?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The burst looks OK to me. Definite runout in the wood, but, well, I'm not exactly sure what you guys are seeing there. Looks kinda' tasty to me. :)

bobouz

Reaction score
Runout is primarily a visual issue, but structurally a little less than ideal. That said, even some of the most desirable pre-war Martins display excessive runout. I'd prefer to have an instrument with minimal-to-no runout, but wouldn't let it stop me from considering an instrument that might be very limited on the market, such as a vintage piece.

My other observation re this particular D-55 is that the burst area is narrower and more severe in execution than many of my favorite Guild bursts from my favorite acoustic Guild era, the early to mid seventies.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Runout also suggests that the wood might not have been perfectly quartersawn, or that there might have been a slight twist in the tree.

There is a lot of magnificent sitka out there at this guitar's price point. I can't imagine that Oxnard doesnt have access.
Even on the higher end Taylors, they accept runout. Here's a Q/A with Bob Taylor about it from their own website.
https://blog.taylorguitars.com/ask-bob-spruce-top-runout