Oxnard D55 Burst Issues?

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Bonneville, this is runout and how it happens.....

runout8.jpg

bQy9ES.jpg

The angle of the concentric rings change as you move away from the central boards on the quarter, creating an angle which reflects the light differently. At least that's how I'd describe it. Does that help?

Tom - awesome - it does indeed, great visuals - thank you!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, at $3,339, everything should be spot-on. Especially given that this is an iconic model.

No way that top should have gone on Guild's top-of-the-line dreadnought.

There were a few Orpheums that left New Hartford with really poor tops, and I was the unfortunate recipient of one. In light of what ended up happening (which of course I didn't know at the time), I should have kept it and worked out a deal. Hindsight and all.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Run-out rarely affects the sound of a guitar -- it's mainly cosmetic.

Also, run-out shouldn't be confused with the normal light-reflecting properties of a book-matched top. The two halves of a book-matched top will always reflect light differently because the grain runs in opposite directions. That's why if you're removing a bridge you want to go under the edge of the bridge, with your "spatula" tool, from the lower-bout side of one half and from the upper-bout side of the other half, so you're working WITH the grain, not against it.

Not crazy about this particular 'burst, but if the guitar sounds and plays great, and the price was right (this one's more than I'd consider paying), the look of the look of the 'burst wouldn't prevent me buying it at all.

Looks, for me, are secondary. The soul of a guitar is how it sounds.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's an image of a D-50CE for sale on ebay... my fantasy guitar of the week:love-struck:

The grain appears to aligned in the same direction,
so this is normal light-reflection of a book-matched top, not runout?

s-l1600.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No that's runout. If you have it in your hands and turn it upside down, it's the other side that will highlight and seem lighter. It's a function of twist in the tree and quarter sawn wood, and when you slice the spruce and open it like a book, the rings are running in different directions. That's my take, anyway.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Tom - considering the even ambient light in this example, same thing?
Can't help but think this potentially lowers the guitars value somewhat vs a well-matched top.
Edit: also have to wonder if the difference was apparent when the guitar was first built.

00a0a_2qHLlMNu5JD_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If anyone says something looking at from the right tell them to stand on the left if that’s an issue tell them to stand Center if it still bugs them tell them to get lost or shut there eyes and just listen to the sweetness of the music after all can’t judge a book by its cover .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom - considering the even ambient light in this example, same thing?
Can't help but think this potentially lowers the guitars value somewhat vs a well-matched top.
Edit: also have to wonder if the difference was apparent when the guitar was first built.

00a0a_2qHLlMNu5JD_1200x900.jpg
There’s many guitars out there like this it’s not uncommon by any means .

I never gave thought to value when I’ve seen this more a do I like the guitar or not and it’s tone .

jmascis

Reaction score
I'm starting to feel bad for Oxnard.

I live right up the road, and I owned one of their M-20s for a few days...I really want them to succeed, but I don't see it happening.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
There’s many guitars out there like this it’s not uncommon by any means .

I never gave thought to value when I’ve seen this more a do I like the guitar or not and it’s tone .

I believe if I was checking out various guitars with similarly tonality, I'd be more inclined to be taking home one with a matched top
vs with the runout condition. My guitars function as wall art as well as musical instruments.

wileypickett

Reaction score

What you're seeing with that DV52 is completely normal with book-matched tops. One side will appear darker than the other depending on where the light source is versus where you are. And if you move the light (or move yourself) the other side will appear darker.

In the 2nd and 6th picture you can see for yourself. In the second picture you can see that BOTH the upper and lower halves of the book-matched top look the same color in the upper bout portion of the guitar. Where does the switch from dark to light occur? Where the camera flash hits the guitar. It's lighter to the left of the flash and darker to the right.

In the 6th picture, each half of the book-matched top is both light and dark, and again the change occurs exactly where the camera flash is hitting the top.

Dan Erlewine explains this phenomenon in his book on guitar repair. That's where I learned about it. It tends to show up more in photographs than in real life, but you can see it on any virtually any guitar you have with a clear topcoat and a bookmatched top.

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
What you're seeing with that DV52 is completely normal with book-matched tops! One side will appear darker than the other depending on where the light source is versus where you are. And if you move the light (or move yourself) the other side will appear darker.

In the 2nd and 6th picture you can see for yourself -- the seller has either moved the guitar or moved the camera. In the second picture you can see the upper and lower halves of the book-matched top look the same color. Where does the change occur? Where the camera flash hits the guitar. It's light to the left of the flash and dark to the right.

In the 6th picture, each half of the book-matched top is both light and dark, and again the change occurs exactly where the camera flash is hitting the top.

Dan Erlewine explains this phenomenon in his book on guitar repair. That's where I learned about it. It tends to show up more in photographs than in real life, but you can see it on any virtually any guitar you have with a clear topcoat and a bookmatched top.

Cool, thanks, I didn't know that.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Here's a quote from a discussion of the phenomenon on a Martin D-18 -- maybe describes this better than I'm describing it!

"On Frank's photo of the D18, the bass side of the top looks darker than the treble side. Yet, if you turned it over so the light was shining from the opposite direction, the treble side would look darker. The darker appearance is because the light is shining into the ends of the cells, which don't reflect as well. Picture a bundle of shiny straws. Looking at the bundle end-wise wouldn't look very shiny. On a bookmatched top, the runout of the two sides always runs opposite each other."