Thread: Does anyone else love John Hiatt??

Does anyone else love John Hiatt??

Because he's amazing and I didn't get into him until later in life but now I've come home from my social stuff and... I just love this guy.

One of MANY songs I've listened to tonight. The Breedlove is AMAZING with it's new D'Addario EXP 80/20 Bluegrass strings!!! EXP14. Medium bottom and light top. Nothing wrong with that!! It SINGS!!

The Taylor needs new strings. I picked it up and it was all THUDDY and I thought... wow, how long has it been since I played this thing? Then I realized they ALL need some new strings. I'll get busy. I promise!!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

My first introduction to Mr. Hiatt was the one-project group he was in with Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, and Jim Ketlner, Little Village. Great stuff.

'69 Yamaha FG-110 (mom & dad)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street Music)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - now with a nephew)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, ex-Qvart)
    '92 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, ex-Neal)
    '94 D-6 (CL find)
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Jeffcoop,)
    GAD-30 NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Geoguy - now with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger)
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75 (why not?)

He goes way back; he has a deep catalog of quality stuff. Check out his early albums.
    Personal favorite: 'Bring The Family' with Ry Cooder on slide. Dy-no-mite!
    Last edited by shihan; 09-28-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    Shihan= Dennis

He puts on a very enjoyable live show, but it is L-O-U-D.

Hearing-protection is advised.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

He's a true songwriter's songwriter, much like Warren Zevon. I had the honor of meeting John on a few occasions back in the late '90s when he was the host of "Sessions at West 54th", and I was lucky enough to attend a bunch of tapings.
    Last edited by twocorgis; 09-29-2017 at 03:44 AM.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

I'm a long-timer. Saw him here on the songwriters tour with Joe Ely, Guy Clark, and Lyle Lovett....what an evening that was!

Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    He's a true songwriter's songwriter, much like Warren Zevon. I had the honor of meeting John on a few occasions back in the late '90s when he was the host of "Sessions at West 54th", and I was lucky enough to attend a bunch of tapings.
    Sandy I'm jealous. Not because you worked at Belmont Park for 26 years right near barn 5 where Secretariat was stabled, and certainly not because you saw him in the flesh when you toured Claiborne farm in the summer of '88. No I can handle that.

But now you are gonna lay on me that you were present during some tapings at "Sessions at West 54th" OMG. Next you're probably gonna say that one of the sessions you saw was Emmy Lou Harris and Daniel Lanois or Sheryl Crow with Gillian Welch. My luck it was the taping of Lucinda Williams you witnessed. Go ahead I can take the pain. Tell us who you saw please.

Secretariat and Sessions at West 54th. Experiences like that are legendary.
    Busted out in SoFlo waiting on a Guild,
    Scott
    '78 D-50 Dharma
    '66 MKII Marketta

"Well done is better than well said"-Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by CA-35 View Post
    Sandy I'm jealous. Not because you worked at Belmont Park for 26 years right near barn 5 where Secretariat was stabled, and certainly not because you saw him in the flesh when you toured Claiborne farm in the summer of '88. No I can handle that.

But now you are gonna lay on me that you were present during some tapings at "Sessions at West 54th" OMG. Next you're probably gonna say that one of the sessions you saw was Emmy Lou Harris and Daniel Lanois or Sheryl Crow with Gillian Welch. My luck it was the taping of Lucinda Williams you witnessed. Go ahead I can take the pain. Tell us who you saw please.

Secretariat and Sessions at West 54th. Experiences like that are legendary.
    Scott, I saw all of them, and a bunch more, sometimes two or more tapings a day! Lyle Lovett, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Beck, Willie Nelson, Suzanne Vega, Shawn Colvin, John Prine, Yo Yo Ma, etc, etc. And a rollicking performance by John Hiatt and the Goners sitting in between Sonny Landreth's manager, and John Platt from WFUV. It was epic, and all up close and personal, and I'll never forget it. Got to meet David Byrne a few times too, as he was the host one of the seasons. I'd kill for all the tapes!

What's sad is that the studio has since been torn down at the corner of 54th and 10th, and it's becoming yet another high rise.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

He's one of my favorites. I've been really partial to the Americana-y stuff he did in the last decade or so, but everything he writes is gold. Dirty Blue Jeans and Mudslide Hyms is my favorite album by him.