Ngd.....2011 f47r

krugjr

Reaction score
Anyone have a little brother who is louder than you are, and even though you seldom admit it, he's actually brighter than you are? Well my F50R now has a little brother just like that!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150719150@N05/36692184173/in/album-72157687266731823/

For my style of playing, none of the 20+ guitars I've gone through in the last 5 yrs has been able to replace my F50R.....whenever I see the F50R being talked about in a thread I'm all ears (or is it all eyes).....back on Sept 13 there was one such thread.....in the middle of that discussion Neal suggests to the OP maybe he should check out an F47R, for the tone and size he was thinking about.....Neal even noted there was one on Reverb.....I checked out the listing, and I kept reading the thread.....a while later TX chimed in with a good word about the seller in that listing.....for the 4+ yrs I've been around LTG the F47R gets mentioned a lot, and I've always wondered about that guitar.....maybe it would be just right to carry up the mountain, hike into the forest and write a song....you know, a smaller version of the F50R.....so when it looked like the OP wasn't interested in it, and it just sat there with nobody grabbing it, RayK finally said "hey, somebody buy this guitar!".....so I did! I've only had it a couple of days, but this F47R is going to work out just fine! hmmmmm, hmmmmm.....adi top, RW B&S, a deep body, volume and sustain you sometimes think a Guild has no business possessing.....and that neck, just like the F50R, love that neck and fret board! I'll check back with more thoughts on the over all tone and such when I have a little more time.....and what a "value".....having just sold my Martin Custom D28 and my Froggy Bottom SJ to move the wife and me to a warmer climate, the timing of "finding" the F47R couldn't have been better......thank you Neal, TX, and RayK......... and thank you, Bill.....after all, it was your guitar!

Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
Wow, beautiful guitar! I missed the boat on getting my hands on one of those. There were always a bunch of maple ones available, but the rosewood ones (especially the non cutaway ones) were quite elusive. At least when I was looking for one.

Tommy

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Honestly, if I was gonna buy a Guild? I'd buy a F47.... either R or M. Either one. Such a perfect shape and size. It looks amazing!! Congrats, amigo!! That's just too cool!! :encouragement:

bobouz

Reaction score
That's a real beauty - congrats!

Just wondering, what is the nut width on that one?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a little brother who is louder than you are, and even though you seldom admit it, he's actually brighter than you are? Well my F50R now has a little brother just like that!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150719150@N05/36692184173/in/album-72157687266731823/

For my style of playing, none of the 20+ guitars I've gone through in the last 5 yrs has been able to replace my F50R.....whenever I see the F50R being talked about in a thread I'm all ears (or is it all eyes).....back on Sept 13 there was one such thread.....in the middle of that discussion Neal suggests to the OP maybe he should check out an F47R, for the tone and size he was thinking about.....Neal even noted there was one on Reverb.....I checked out the listing, and I kept reading the thread.....a while later TX chimed in with a good word about the seller in that listing.....for the 4+ yrs I've been around LTG the F47R gets mentioned a lot, and I've always wondered about that guitar.....maybe it would be just right to carry up the mountain, hike into the forest and write a song....you know, a smaller version of the F50R.....so when it looked like the OP wasn't interested in it, and it just sat there with nobody grabbing it, RayK finally said "hey, somebody buy this guitar!".....so I did! I've only had it a couple of days, but this F47R is going to work out just fine! hmmmmm, hmmmmm.....adi top, RW B&S, a deep body, volume and sustain you sometimes think a Guild has no business possessing.....and that neck, just like the F50R, I love it! I'll check back with more thoughts on the over all tone and such when I have a little more time.....and what a "value".....having just sold my Martin Custom D28 and my Froggy Bottom SJ to move the wife and me to a warmer climate, the timing of "finding" the F47R couldn't have been better......thank you Neal, TX, and RayK......... and thank you, Bill.....after all, it was your guitar!

Congrats Krug , she is a pretty thing .
I was looking hard at her but my mind was else where lol

So where both new F47 owners guess September is F47’s month to shine :)

I like feel of her , the nut is 1-11/16th it fits my hand size pretty good .

Hope we get to hear her :)

Oh where you’d Move to if I’m not being to nosy ?

krugjr

Reaction score
Tom.....thanks for the thoughts.....in my first yr around Guilds I did buy a used F47 maple once...came to me pretty beat up, un cared for, etc...played it a little and sent it right back...didn't bond with it all, but it wasn't a good example of an F47M I'm sure.....I didn't even bother to re string it...it was just too "rough" to keep.....plus, maple and I just don't seem to get along....ha...ha...

krugjr

Reaction score
bobouz.....1 11/16 nut.....I favor 1 3/4 (years of Taylors) but I've found I can adjust and play either one.....if I like the guitar's sound and tone, I will own it and never think twice about nut width.....

krugjr

Reaction score
RayK.....maybe you're on to something with September and F47s.....my birthday is the 25th and my Dad's was the 28th.....haven't learned to record and post yet (after all these years)...that will have to be part of my retirement for sure.....we're still in the moving process, house is now on the market and we're playing the waiting game.....man, I do not like living in a house while being marketed...no fun.....when sold, we're going to southern OR, near Glendale, up in the mountains...wife's family has property there, so we'll start our retirement journey there and see where things lead.....

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Krug! I didn't know your Birthday was the 25th, Happy Belated Birthday! Talk about coincidence, Mine is today which as you mentioned is the same day as your Fathers being the 28th. No wonder we get along so well both being late September, LOL! I hope the F47 is everything you want it to be and more, Have a good one my Friend.

TX

krugjr

Reaction score
Cougar...

from Al:
F30=15" lower bout (give or take fractions)
F40 and derivatives like F47=16" lower bout and various depths, even down to 3-1/2" in the case of F65ce (my current favorite for comfort)
F50 and derivatives (12ers, "JF"S, F55's)= 17" lower bout.

from Neal:
My recommendation would be to find an F-47R from either Tacoma ('05-'08) or New Hartford ('09-'14). A little bigger than the F-30, with a red spruce top and EIR back and sides. However, they are as deep (4 7/8") as a dreadnought, so if it is depth rather than width that is the problem, maybe not...

TX added some specs too.....all of this from that 09-13 thread "D50, F50R, F55R"

krugjr

Reaction score
that's awesome, TX, happy birthday to you, my friend...Sept 28th is very special to me...was thinking about my dad early this morning, he passed years ago and I always remember him on his birthday.....so you and I will add Sept 28th to the many reasons we get along so well.....you've been a big part of my guitar life.....as well as the LTG gang!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I sometimes conduct the "if my house is on fire, which guitar(s) do I grab?" thought experiment, and the answer is always the Yamaha (my first, and more importantly, how I met my wife), and the F-47R.

There is just something about the shimmering overtones, string-to-string balance, comfort, and ease of play of the F-47R that makes it the one I won't leave behind.

Please don't tell my other guitars.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats on a wonderful looking and playing guitar! And best of luck on your impending retirement! :)

krugjr

Reaction score
sixx.....thanks...I appreciate your words...

gjmalcyon.....your secret is safe with me...your other guitars won't hear it from me...ha...ha.............grab it in a fire, yeah, that says a lot!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
RayK.....maybe you're on to something with September and F47s.....my birthday is the 25th and my Dad's was the 28th.....haven't learned to record and post yet (after all these years)...that will have to be part of my retirement for sure.....we're still in the moving process, house is now on the market and we're playing the waiting game.....man, I do not like living in a house while being marketed...no fun.....when sold, we're going to southern OR, near Glendale, up in the mountains...wife's family has property there, so we'll start our retirement journey there and see where things lead.....

Wow Or is on my list to see, I could e happy there myself , congrats on that sir .

Happy belated birthday as well a nice gift you have :)

As to recording you’ll there and you have plenty of help when you need it . ;)

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well done ! My first Guild, which I got only a few years ago, is the same model and almost the same age, I think. 2010.

krugjr

Reaction score
One of the things I like the most about the F47R is the tone I get when I capo.....open chords, without a capo, can sound great on many guitars, but I've been looking for a guitar that will hold bottom end and stay thick and woody in the highs when using the capo, and I'm finding that with the F47R.....it came to me with D'Addario PB Lights, and I thought they accented the mids and highs a little too much for my rhythm style.....I'm going to have fun with diff strings on this guitar for the next few weeks and see what I come up with.....the Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Mediums (new strings for me) sound real nice on the F50R so I put the Earthwood Medium Lights on the F47R today...just breaking them in but so far so good.....the $5K-$6K guitars are out of my life for now, so all I want is a $1000 guitar that sounds and plays like a $10,000 guitar....ha...ha.....OK, OK, probably not too realistic, but the F47R is giving me that growl, that punch, that mid range blues sound, and the power that usually comes with the likes of J45s (Hog) that fall in that $3K-$4K range used, and that's why I'm real pleased with the value I got.....the F47R is a model that "does it all", just like others have described it.....instead of doing one thing incredibly well and falling short in every other way (like some guitars, even high end builders) this classic Guild puts out a very fine sound with whatever you ask it to do.....nice job, Guild!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I sometimes conduct the "if my house is on fire, which guitar(s) do I grab?" thought experiment, and the answer is always the Yamaha (my first, and more importantly, how I met my wife), and the F-47R.
There is just something about the shimmering overtones, string-to-string balance, comfort, and ease of play of the F-47R that makes it the one I won't leave behind.
Please don't tell my other guitars.
All these happy reviews have almost but not quite caused me to replace my pipe dream shortscale F30R with an F47R.
It's that shortscale I think I'm still jonesin' for.

Wow, beautiful guitar! I missed the boat on getting my hands on one of those. There were always a bunch of maple ones available, but the rosewood ones (especially the non cutaway ones) were quite elusive. At least when I was looking for one.
Tommy
A cutaway takes away very little if anything from tone or volume, since the vast majority of top vibrations are produced in the lower bout below the bridge.
Same reason why dual pickguards don't really hold a guitar back.
I've got one of each.
:friendly_wink:

Nice! So is that 47/50ths the size of the F50R, or what? :tiger:
That is kinda funny, and 94% of 17" is 15.98" so ya got me wonderin'...!
:glee:

Last edited: