Fender HB-1 Question

Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger on a Westerly SF IV. It is a 2000's model with the Fender HB-1's. My question is, Is there a pickup maker that makes a standard sized humbucker that sounds like the classic HB-1 or one that will re-wind the Fender HB-1s to sound like the classic Guild ones?

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Humbuckers are low wind, very accurate vintage PAF clones. I don't know how close to HB1's they sound but compared to other full sized 'buckers they are brighter and have much better clarity and note definition even with overdrive.
Some folks who post here have replaced the Fender 'buckers in their Guild guitars with them and have been very happy with the results.

dbirchett

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Guild used the Seth Lovers on some of their last electrics made in the US. They are nice pickups indeed.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seth Lovers are great pickups and probably about as close as you'll get.

Frank4001

Reaction score
I have been playing the Fender Buckers for the last 2 - 3yrs .
They are brighter to my ears than Gibson type pickups and I like it that way because I'm also a Telecaster player.
I have found I like the front pickup low with the pole pieces set high and the back pickup set to even volume with the front and pole pieces low.
Not sure how close they are to real HB-1's set like that, but they are brighter than Gibson types.
I had 70's Starfire 5 and while it had great attack it was light on sustain and I eventually traded it.
I really can't say how close the Fender Buckers are but they are bright and aggressive but not muddy.
I love my 2000 SF4 and the band leader, who is blind and has bat ears, says its the best guitar I bring.
Good Luck..

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
In my experience genuine HB-1s have a high end clarity combined with midrange fatness that's unique to them. They purr rather than snarl. :) Seth Lovers are very nice, and depending on your taste you may even prefer 'em to HB-1s, but they're not really the same thing.

-Dave-

DThomasC

Reaction score
I agree that the Seth Lovers and HB-1's are very different pickups, but honestly, I don't know of any modern alternative. Actually, I've had a variety of HB-1's and some of them seem very differnet from others. But they do have a commonality that is unique to them. Someone here (don't remember who) commented that where Seth Lovers have a hint of sweetness, HB-1s are fairly dry. Seems a fitting description

Having said all of that, they're both very musical pickups and a pleasure to play. I have Seth Lovers in my Nightbird, which might seem like heresy to some, especially when HB-1s would fit, but they work really well and I have no desire to swap them. And I am a pickup snob with a love for HB-1s

Last edited:
Reaction score
Evan Skopp at Seymore Duncan told me when they made the HB-1 pick ups for Guild they were almost the same as their SH-1 59 model. I think these are close to the early HB-1 pick ups as in my 1971 M-75 which happen to have the round red stamping on the back. The pick ups in my 71 drive my amp harder than the later pick ups and are very similar to the SH-1 pick ups I have in a Les Paul. The Seth Lover pick ups are similar to the later HB-1 pick ups in my 1973 Starfire IV and my S-100SC. As DThomasC stated the HB-1 pick ups vary quite a bit as do most older pick ups. just my observations.
Thanks John

Last edited:

Jough

Reaction score
I have Seth Lovers in my Manhatten and a Starfire II, great pickups, highly recommended. In my X150s, I have one with SD1s and one with a Fender pickup. Both guitars sound great. I may have an odd ball Fender pickup, but I have no inclination to change it. It works with the guitar.