Doyle Bramhall II and John Mayer Guild 12's

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In case you missed this in another thread or previously. This would sound unreal if you were there live in the room. Also I guess they have Guild D-tar pickups. they sound damn good. Honestly, most artists I see these days have a sound hole pickup (either stand alone or in combo with other pickups, piezo/etc.).

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I knew Doyle played lefty, but it looks like he's playing it strung up righty.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I knew Doyle played lefty, but it looks like he's playing it strung up righty.

yes he plays right-handed strung guitars, left handed.

he owns both right-handed and left handed guitars. on his Fender electrics, the headstocks go either way, reverse or standard, on both his left-handed and right-handed guitars (if that makes any sense).

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
yes he plays right-handed strung guitars, left handed.

he owns both right-handed and left handed guitars. on his Fender electrics, the headstocks go either way, reverse or standard, on both his left-handed and right-handed guitars (if that makes any sense).
Hey, I don't discriminate, no matter what his orientation.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Cool video, I don't remember seeing it before. Isn't Doyle handing a different Guild 12 string to his guitar guy, before he takes the one he played on the song?

And, the one he plays has no pickguard - was it removed? a custom guitar?

walrus

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Isn't Doyle handing a different Guild 12 string to his guitar guy, before he takes the one he played on the song?
Yes, both seem to be New Hartford made F-512s but the first one had the pickguard. Maybe he had one ordered without pickguard since he plays lefthanded.
Just in case somebody asks, John Mayer used a New Hartford built "G-312CE Standard" for that gig.

The videos were shared a few times already at LTG, here is the same one from a better view of Doyle's guitar and his playing:

Ralf

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just watched that one - you can really see how Doyle strums with an upstroke, where a "normal" set up would use a downstroke. I find the whole idea of the way he plays amazing...

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you really want to see some wild sheeat check out the Roger Waters DVD from 1999 "Live in the flesh" or something like that. Doyle was in the band playing David's parts and just absolutely kills it. That's how I discovered Doyle, I was at that Waters show in 1999 at Jones Beach, which was incredible.

also I found this-

http://guildguitars.com/doyle-bramhall-ii-performs-at-eric-claptons-crossroads-festival/

I would guess one of the 512's was tuned to pitch and the other a half step down? maybe for the one with Mayer they de-tuned. or the first one was possibly in open tuning

Smitch

Reaction score
Doyle is one woefully underappreciated cat. His new album, Rich Man, is arguably the best record of the year.