NGD...sort of...LOL!

Reaction score
More of a "New Gear Day", not a "New Guitar Day".

I saw what I thought was a decent Guild Jumbo case on ebay and thought, it looks OK, I'll make an offer. And he countered with an offer and the deal was made!

I had been sort of casually looking for a Guild Jumbo case for awhile to replace the Gibson Jumbo (TKL) case I have now. It's a great case, and in mint condition, just has the wrong logo on it! LOL!

IePAB6b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Anyway...when I received the Guild case this morning, I was pleasantly surprised! I could see under the dust that it was better than I was expecting! And when I cleaned it up...oh man, what a beauty!!! It's not faded black, as I had seen in the orig pics from the seller, it's actually a sort of antique dark brown/black marbled, with a simulated leather-type texture...kinda like an old leather bomber jacket!...and in great shape!!! And with the 5 latches, which I really like!

pDktN22.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5KxMbGd.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

When was Guild using/selling these? I'd never seen one before.

Years ago, when I got my 92 JF30, it came in a case that had to be duct-tape closed and was literally falling apart and smelled REALLY bad! That went into the trash and I found the Gibson case to store it in. So now, finally, it has a proper case to rest in!!!

Anybody need a nearly-new Gibson Jumbo case? (I think they used this logo on their TKL cases from the late 90's until 2010 or so.)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
There's nothing like a great case for your guitar! Congrats!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When was Guild using/selling these? I'd never seen one before.
I'm gonna take a guess it must have been late '80's to early '90's based on the fact that all of mine have the black pebble-grained type covering just like that Gibson case and are the ones that came with the guitars, earliest being the '96 D25, middle being the '01 F65ce, latest being the '04 Corona D40.
You mentioned that Gibson case is a TKL, all of mine were too, and I bet that Guild case you just got sports a TKL tag on the "glove box".
The "G-shield" was silkscreened onto the high-end arched top cases (My F65ce, which also has 5 latches) and the flat-top cases got a Guild script logo (my D25), in late Westerly.
The Corona D40 high-end (arched top) case has a badge on the side of the neck but no silkscreen "IIRC", but only has 4 latches, and green lining.
The lining on the case you show looks just like the lining on my D25 case.
So that's why I'm thinking late Westerly but maybe "pre-Fender".
Maybe Fender instituted the change to the black coveering?
Wonder what Walrus, Sixx, and Davisman have on their early '80's-early '90's guitars?
Or maybe RichardP69 knows, having been through so many over the years?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My '84 D64 case is not a Guild case. No label aftermarket case - that's what the guitar came with even though it was new when I bought it. It is, however, a "second" with the "Z" stamped on the headstock. Maybe that's why no Guild case?

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My '84 D64 case is not a Guild case. No label aftermarket case - that's what the guitar came with even though it was new when I bought it. It is, however, a "second" with the "Z" stamped on the headstock. Maybe that's why no Guild case?

walrus
When looking at some old price lists from that era I also realized they didn't always come with cases, you could order without one if desired.
During mid-late 90's Westerly it was part of the deal except for some models like D4's.
You can see in the '01 list for example, the style of case the instrument came with was embedded in the Guild item number, just like the finish color number.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Yup, looks like my ’94 DV72 NT case. Brown marbled, silkscreened G shield, 5 latches, same interior color, thick neck-cradle pad on top of glove box, but no TKL tag Al.
Congratulations Retro!

OvxdrJy.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My DV-72 case from 1994 is the same. Same color inside as well.

walrus, I bought my D65S new in 1994 and I was insistent upon a case. Unfortunately, I ended up also with a generic case and not a Guild one. I didn't know about such things back then. I thought a case was a case. I do wish I had a Guild case for it, but that's water over the damn at this point. It's a decent case, just not a Guild one.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
walrus, I bought my D65S new in 1994 and I was insistent upon a case. Unfortunately, I ended up also with a generic case and not a Guild one. I didn't know about such things back then. I thought a case was a case. I do wish I had a Guild case for it, but that's water over the damn at this point. It's a decent case, just not a Guild one.

Same here - no knowledge that I was missing anything! Oh, those innocent days...

My D64 case is nice inside and sturdy, but with latches that are not as good as they could be - it's OK, but certainly not the overall quality of the Guild cases I got with my Bluesbirds for example. But it's worked well for 33 years, and it's the only case I've ever had that smells like wood inside - almost like smelling the soundhole of the D64 itself!

But I'm not starting a thread on the smell of guitar cases, since smelling your guitar has already been discussed at length:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-smell-your-guitars&highlight=soundhole+smell

:rapture:

walrus

DV-72 NT

Reaction score

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
DV, I resurrected that "smell" thread if you want to join the fun!

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Could that be a 12 string case ? Lots of room with that head stock ?

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Could that be a 12 string case ? Lots of room with that head stock ?

I was once told that the Guild Dred cases were made to accommodate either a 6 string or 12 guitar.

On a side note, I have found that shipping guitars that are inside Guild cases can cost more in shipping costs due to the extra length of the case.