What makes some guitar more effected by "acoustic finger syndrome " ?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My SF can get sharped out of tune if I over grip it more than my NS models. If I relax and play it light, like an electric guitar, we are both fine, but I can make it sound like I'm bending notes simply by finger pressure. If I do to much, it's time to retune. ( Note: It's also a cool, humid night with clouds around, so the getting more out of tune my be partly weather related. ) This happens when I've played my acoustic guitar for a good while.

So, what would make one guitar be more effected by grip ?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bigger frets.

I played an S300A-D for decades as my only guitar and it's got super-flat vintage frets.

Then I bought a Jackson SL2H with jumbo frets and every chord was out of tune because of the death-grip I'd developed over the years. Learn to play with a lighter touch and you'll learn to love the higher frets.

Reaction score
I remember back in the day some of the guys I knew would have their techs shave the frets WAY down to play more like electrics. In fact, the old Tennesseean I had shaved jumbo frets...it was one of the fastest necks I have ever played. (Not that I needed that for the way I play...it's just the way I received it!) However, when the frets wear, there's not much left to dress!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day some of the guys I knew would have their techs shave the frets WAY down to play more like electrics. In fact, the old Tennesseean I had shaved jumbo frets...it was one of the fastest necks I have ever played. (Not that I needed that for the way I play...it's just the way I received it!) However, when the frets wear, there's not much left to dress!
Yep. And the source of many a "plays like butter" comments about guitars on eBAy over the years.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I never noticed the fret sizes on my guitars. I'll have to give them a good eye ball and measuring stick. I also have flat wounds on my NS guitars and something else, more for blues stuff, on the SF. I hate that I don't remember WHAT I have on my guitars. I need to start putting the envelope in the case, I guess.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I never noticed the fret sizes on my guitars. I'll have to give them a good eye ball and measuring stick. I also have flat wounds on my NS guitars and something else, more for blues stuff, on the SF. I hate that I don't remember WHAT I have on my guitars. I need to start putting the envelope in the case, I guess.

Change your strings more often and you'll start to remember. :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope it's what GAD said. Don and I just returned the D'Angelico that was BEAUTIFUL but honestly trying to get it to play in pitch was impossible. You had to coordinate all your fingers and toes!! Seriously, I don't play with a death grip but a medium grip. But with the bigger medium frets, neither of us could get a decent chord or note because it was either buzzing or sharp. < these guys can advise you better than I can> but this is my first go at an archtop and it was NOT pleasant. And now I've got hiccups..... can anyone help me with those?? YIKES I'm too old for this $hit!!!

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope it's what GAD said. Don and I just returned the D'Angelico that was BEAUTIFUL but honestly trying to get it to play in pitch was impossible. You had to coordinate all your fingers and toes!! Seriously, I don't play with a death grip but a medium grip. But with the bigger medium frets, neither of us could get a decent chord or note because it was either buzzing or sharp. < these guys can advise you better than I can but this is my first go at an archtop and it was NOT pleasant. And now I've got hiccups..... can anyone help me with those?? YIKES I'm too old for this $hit!!!

The blue one! Noooooo!!!!!!

Getting that first Jackson with the jumbo frets made me a better player but it did take a while to adapt. Even today if I play my vintage Guids a lot then pick up a modern shredder (or even some of those pointy '80s monster Guilds) I find myself pulling the strings out of tune. Thankfully now it triggers the "STOP IT!" part of my brain and I relax a bit. Then I pick up my acoustic which feels like it has suspension bridge cables on it and the cycle starts all over again.

Edit - not the blue one. I feel better. :)

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Change your strings more often and you'll start to remember. :)

I think I have about 9 guitars. I'm still not sure what I like, on some of them. That would mean a goodly amount of sting changes. I only have ONE 12 string, so that helps.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I have about 9 guitars. I'm still not sure what I like, on some of them. That would mean a goodly amount of sting changes. I only have ONE 12 string, so that helps.

I have around 30 (holy crap! I have a problem). As I play/review/buy/sell/whatever them they get new strings. I find I do one guitar a week on average and I buy strings by the case. I can string a Floyd Rose in a blink of an eye. A Bigsby takes me longer. Anyway, I detest the feel of old strings and rusty strings will wear down your frets so I keep 'em fresh!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Honestly, GAD it was a gut wrenching decision. The guitar was so beautiful. But we fussed and played and fussed and played and.... maybe we just didn't "get it" but we tried and tried for over a week. The decision wasn't made lightly and if we could BEAM a guitar to a different place, we'd have beamed this guitar to one of y'all who have a TON more experience than we do with this type of guitar. But, alas we're here just the two of us lost and after a week, EYE had no love for the guitar and didn't want to play it, and Don didn't either. I "suggested that this maybe wasn't a guitar for him... or us." And I expected a fight but he's spent more time with it than I and what I got was, "Yeah, I should just send it back." I truly would like to know if there was something wrong with the guitar or if it's just us being messed up because it's something new or different. I've played solid body electrics and although they were "different" I never had a problem playing in tune at all. Not sure at all but, yeah.... the blue one is gone, Gary. I was sad to see it go. Pretty thing, for sure, you know?

I've still got the Breedlove and I couldn't be happier. In fact, my other guitars are wondering WTF? Don't blame them, I'm wondering that too. Such a responsive and resonant thing that's just .... AMAZING. So one hit, and one miss..... :encouragement:

vastier

Reaction score
I picked up the Korean Starfire VI some months ago and had this problem with my playing as well. I was considering selling it. A local luthier offered to shave the frets or maybe alter the nut but I consulted here first. I got advice here not to do that, and instead try medium strings and work on altering my grip. That was good advice. The playing style is a work in progress but I'm enjoying this guitar a lot more now. The change of strings to 13's also resulted in better sound IMO. Deeper, fuller, sometimes more growl. I'm liking those pickups.

I find this guitar very heavy in the south end. I play sitting down and I feel off balance. I suppose the Guildsby is largely responsible for that. Never had one before. Maybe I'll put a fishing weight on the head stock.