The Great GSR mystery?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The reason I wrote it this way is that it is an opinion of many people I have spoken with about this time period. Your opinion is different and that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
It's NOT merely an opinion.
The SOURCE of the "myth" was a statement from member Hideglue (Paul) that "Guild QC reached a zenith under Fender" and it was in response to the internet myth that "Fender destroyed Guild" when they took them over, which was often said by sellers offering late Westerly Guitars and denigrating the quality of Corona product.
When in fact, ironically, the guitars they were offering were built under Fender ownership.
BECAUSE his statement generated a flurry of discussion, Paul had to clarify his statement that what he meant was that Fender formalized the QC checklist and thus the percentage of good QC rose, even though the guitars were built to the same quality standards as the pre-Fender production.
But the "Guild reached a QC zenith under Fender" statement took on a life and misinterpretation of its own, here.
I've re-told that story several times in the last few years and nobody who was there has corrected me.
So Default is right.
It's everybody else that has an "opinion" based on ownership experience.
Myself included.
EDIT:
WHOOPS there I go posting before reading everything again.
I see Default set the record straight for himself.
But hey, happy to corroborate and explain the source of the "myth".

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al ,
So do you have multiple tabs open on your browser? Reading and posting is a split screen no no if you have a beer in hand .

The only myth I’m bust’n is the one about my new Guitar beee cause I got it ! And as George Takei says “ oh myyyy !

I am very pleased with this little lady ;) her tone is impressive as well as her curves .

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's NOT merely an opinion.
The SOURCE of the "myth" was a statement from member Hideglue (Paul) that "Guild QC reached a zenith under Fender" and it was in response to the internet myth that "Fender destroyed Guild" when they took them over, which was often said by sellers offering late Westerly Guitars and denigrating the quality of Corona product.
When in fact, ironically, the guitars they were offering were built under Fender ownership.
BECAUSE his statement generated a flurry of discussion, Paul had to clarify his statement that what he meant was that Fender formalized the QC checklist and thus the percentage of good QC rose, even though the guitars were built to the same quality standards as the pre-Fender production.
But the "Guild reached a QC zenith under Fender" statement took on a life and misinterpretation of its own, here.
I've re-told that story several times in the last few years and nobody who was there has corrected me.
So Default is right.
It's everybody else that has an "opinion" based on ownership experience.
Myself included.
EDIT:
WHOOPS there I go posting before reading everything again.
I see Default set the record straight for himself.
But hey, happy to corroborate and explain the source of the "myth".

You might want to go back and read a few more pages as I think you are getting kinda twisted up with what you are reading and what you are writing Al.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, I've always thought of you as sort of "mythical". Maybe even "mystical"....

walrus

IF you only knew....remember:

1d633d14f1acdc492769b3ff823aec03--smokey-the-bears-warm-fuzzies.jpg

Only you can tell if you're a real person on Facebook.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
:sorrow:

(sniff)
And to think I almost quit the forum yesterday.
:sorrow:

LOL! Sorry man, I got my Meds crossed up and my Member Berries ain't working right today. Don't Leave Al, I can make you a mixed tape of Eighties Heavy Metal Power Ballads to help get you to stay.:single_eye:

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al We’ll take ya at Ttm we’re all misfits there ! Haha

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Weren't the electrics made in New Hartford, such as my (now sold) X180 GSR actually put together by Ovation techs, and not overseen by guys such as Ren Ferguson?

During my visits to the factory it was pretty clear that most of the line employees were assigned by function, not the brand being worked on. So the neck guy built necks for Fender, Hamers, Ovations and Guilds. To the extent that the most skilled individuals were assigned, I know that some of the electric work was done by folks who had done a lot of work on Hamers, and I seem to recall a former Westerly employee who had been rehired also mentioned working on GSR electrics. Most of the GSR runs were completed before Ren ever set foot in the factory, so whoever was watching out for quality, it was not Ren.

The thing I had trouble grasping is that New Hartford was a guitar Factory operated by FMIC. As such it was capable of building many different product lines and for many FMIC owned brands. In a sense the employees belonged to the factory and not to a particular brand. While there were "brand specific" employees they tended to oversee and manage things, rather than build guitars.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Most feel Fender improved the QA/QC process during this time and actually improved the overall quality of the Guild Product.

From my limited QA/QC work that is almost a tautology. If the process does not improve product quality then it is the wrong process and should be scrapped. I expect the difference in understanding is that the employee quotes I recall were very guarded about what, if anything, changed after the processes were changed or improved. Some folks remember the comments, others understand the implications.

I'll buy the first round when txbumper57 and default come to Virginia to discuss the point with me. Maybe we can even play Guilds.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Al, I've always thought of you as sort of "mythical". Maybe even "mystical"....

walrus

I suppose it it time to revive the rumors that Al is a postbot driven by artificial intelligence. I think I am credited with programming Al 1.0 but I have lost track since we are up to at least Al 3.0.3

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I suppose it it time to revive the rumors that Al is a postbot driven by artificial intelligence. I think I am credited with programming Al 1.0 but I have lost track since we are up to at least Al 3.0.3

Maybe the problem is his android and not iOS . Haha

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe the problem is his android and not iOS . Haha
Regardless, the result ain't pretty:

(WARNING: The following image is not be suitable for minors, pregnant women and quakers)

Al is currently seeking a reputable fiber splicer, his only hope for reaching operational status again.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Regardless, the result ain't pretty:

(WARNING: The following image is not be suitable for minors, pregnant women and quakers)

Al is currently seeking a reputable fiber splicer, his only hope for reaching operational status again.

Al , quick say something about me it’ll take the heat off but you have to act fast !!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
From my limited QA/QC work that is almost a tautology. If the process does not improve product quality then it is the wrong process and should be scrapped. I expect the difference in understanding is that the employee quotes I recall were very guarded about what, if anything, changed after the processes were changed or improved. Some folks remember the comments, others understand the implications.

I'll buy the first round when txbumper57 and default come to Virginia to discuss the point with me. Maybe we can even play Guilds.
Hey, fronobulax, we both live in central Virginia. Let's meet up and lay a few tunes down, not to mention swig a few beers.