The Great GSR mystery?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure Nashville was actually closed as a construction facility during Corona period.
I don't think we ever got a definitive answer about when that happened, even from Hans who commented in the first thread linked below.
Definitely recall seeing at least one Custom Shop Bluesbird from there, labeled Nashville Custom Shop, but not sure of date, wonder if TXbumper would remember?
It was a repair facility until sometime during New Hartford tenure, 2011 or 2012.
TwoCorgi's D50 was one of the last guitars to get repaired there.
Discussions here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?147975-Is-there-a-Guild-Custom-Shop
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/archive/index.php/t-164959.html
Edit: Aha!
Hans says it stopped being the Custom Shop coincidental with the move to Corona, post 15 here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?142380-Guild-Nashville-Custom-Shop
Fair enough. And, indeed, repairs were being done in Nashville for a while during New Hartford. However, to blur the lines even more, there were a few Tacoma guitars built special for some dealers at (I think) the 2008 Winter NAMM show that had special cocobolo headstock faceplates. Those faceplates (and perhaps more than just those) were built in Nashville.

:) But, all that said, New Hartford won their case with Fender HQ to do Guild repairs and restoration in New Hartford. I wonder how CMG will handle that now.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They left out the F47KC

The New Hartford facility had also created a new line of specialty, limited edition guitars, referred to as the GSR Series. The GSR designation stands for "Guild Special Run." This series was first revealed to Guild dealers at Guild's dealer-only factory tour in mid-2009 called the "Guild Summit Retreat". These models featured unique takes on classic Guild Traditional Series models. GSR models include the F-20 (figured Cocbolo), F-30R (master-grade Rosewood), F-40 (figured Cocobolo), F-50 (figured Koa), and D-50 (figured Cocobolo), and Guild's only electric guitar to be produced since 2003, the GSR Starfire VI (only 20 produced). Each of these instruments features unique designs, wood selection, ornamentation, and has extremely limited production numbers.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They left out the F47KC

The New Hartford facility had also created a new line of specialty, limited edition guitars, referred to as the GSR Series. The GSR designation stands for "Guild Special Run." This series was first revealed to Guild dealers at Guild's dealer-only factory tour in mid-2009 called the "Guild Summit Retreat". These models featured unique takes on classic Guild Traditional Series models. GSR models include the F-20 (figured Cocbolo), F-30R (master-grade Rosewood), F-40 (figured Cocobolo), F-50 (figured Koa), and D-50 (figured Cocobolo), and Guild's only electric guitar to be produced since 2003, the GSR Starfire VI (only 20 produced). Each of these instruments features unique designs, wood selection, ornamentation, and has extremely limited production numbers.

Once you get your head wrapped around all the info on the GSR series you need to start looking into the special run of guitars that were pre-Fender and post-Westerly production. Those Guitars were crafted in New Waverly if I recall Correctly. You see them pop up for sale every now and again.:friendly_wink:

TX

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I see them as two different names for what was essentially the same process during the New Hartford years.
And I disagree as Custom Shop guitars for instance were built using hideglue vs titebond for the GSR models...

a "Reno" series that seems to be an evolution of the GSRs but is not well documented.
Look at that post where I documented all models: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...tion-Numbers&p=1675633&viewfull=1#post1675633

Look at my sig. Wikipedia is wrong.
Yes, and the so far known numbers were all in that post: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...tion-Numbers&p=1675590&viewfull=1#post1675590

Ralf

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Once you get your head wrapped around all the info on the GSR series you need to start looking into the special run of guitars that were pre-Fender and post-Westerly production. Those Guitars were crafted in New Waverly if I recall Correctly. You see them pop up for sale every now and again.:friendly_wink:

TX

Are they identified as special run or other ?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
And I disagree as Custom Shop guitars for instance were built using hideglue vs titebond for the GSR models...

We don't have to disagree. When I said "same" I was thinking process and logistics. Specifically they both used the existing production line and workstations, machinery, workers etc. Compared to regular production, they both had more scrutiny during wood selection or used woods that were not used in regular production or both. Both also had extra quality assurance oversight during production.

My recollection is that the places were things were glued were the same regardless of hideglue or titebond and that the worker only made slight adjustments because of the glue. Pick the right pot and the building process is the same. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

I also have to note that many of the GSR electrics started as "whitewood" built elsewhere so comparing the GRS products to Custom Shop builds in New Hartford may be more of an apples or oranges thing than I first thought.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Are they identified as special run or other ?

I'm just pulling your leg Ray. Sometimes sellers that don't know the history of what they are selling try to BS their way through the description of their guitar. The number one thing they say is that their late 90's/early 2000's Guild was built Pre-Fender as if that is some kind of selling point. Fender bought Guild in 1995 and continued production through 2001 at the Westerly Facility. Most feel Fender improved the QA/QC process during this time and actually improved the overall quality of the Guild Product. Fender continued owning Guild and producing American Made Guilds in different locations (Corona CA 2002-2004, Tacoma WA 2005-2008, and New Hartford CT 2009-2014) through May of 2014 when they sold Guild to Cordoba Music Group.

Another common told Fib by uninformed sellers is that their Guild was made in New Waverly. Guilds were never made there and New Waverly is the name of a small town north of Houston. I think their minds get the "New" from New Hartford production and the "Waverly" from the famous tuner manufacturer. What kills me is every description I have ever read of a Guild that had these two untrue pieces of info in them actually had the place of Manufacturer listed plainly on the guitar label whether it be Westerly RI, Corona CA, Tacoma WA, or New Hartford CT. Just goes to show that uninformed sellers would rather spin a yarn of BS than take 30 Seconds to actually read the label of the guitar they are selling. I do my best to steer clear of these sellers, especially when you send them the right info in a message and they continue believing their BS story.

Just for clarification for anyone reading this thread in the future, Everything I stated in Post #63 of this thread is pure fiction and was said in jest to the amount of info being discussed here.

Have a good one!

TX

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Weren't the electrics made in New Hartford, such as my (now sold) X180 GSR actually put together by Ovation techs, and not overseen by guys such as Ren Ferguson?

merlin6666

Reaction score

Thanks for the accounting I did not find that when I did a search. Though you estimate that about 20 were made for the "Reno's" store it is notable that they are still available new from other retailers. Curious if Reno's resold them or if Guild made the specs available to other retailers and let them order some as well. The ads that I posted all state that these "may" be the only ones that were made with the listed specifications.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tx, the people who worked at Westerly have stated that Fender did NOT improve quality when they bought Guild. What Fender did was FORMALIZE the quality control process. The quality of the guitars remained as high after the Fender acquisition as they were before. The idea that Fender made better products is just an internet fib.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tx, the people who worked at Westerly have stated that Fender did NOT improve quality when they bought Guild. What Fender did was FORMALIZE the quality control process. The quality of the guitars remained as high after the Fender acquisition as they were before. The idea that Fender made better products is just an internet fib.

Here is the actual Quote form my post Default.

Most feel Fender improved the QA/QC process during this time and actually improved the overall quality of the Guild Product.

The reason I wrote it this way is that it is an opinion of many people I have spoken with about this time period. Your opinion is different and that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Don't see how someone's opinion based on their individual experiences with a product is an internet fib. There are several threads on this forum where members discuss the extreme High Quality of the Guild American made Electrics and Acoustics from 1995 on. That is not to take away from the Quality of Guild prior to the Purchase by Fender. Just to state that from the past threads and discussions here on the forum, members feel the electrics and acoustics made during the beginning of the "Fender Owned Era" or more commonly referred to as the "Late Westerly Period" were extremely well built and received as such.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm just pulling your leg Ray. Sometimes sellers that don't know the history of what they are selling try to BS their way through the description of their guitar. The number one thing they say is that their late 90's/early 2000's Guild was built Pre-Fender as if that is some kind of selling point. Fender bought Guild in 1995 and continued production through 2001 at the Westerly Facility. Most feel Fender improved the QA/QC process during this time and actually improved the overall quality of the Guild Product. Fender continued owning Guild and producing American Made Guilds in different locations (Corona CA 2002-2004, Tacoma WA 2005-2008, and New Hartford CT 2009-2014) through May of 2014 when they sold Guild to Cordoba Music Group.

Another common told Fib by uninformed sellers is that their Guild was made in New Waverly. Guilds were never made there and New Waverly is the name of a small town north of Houston. I think their minds get the "New" from New Hartford production and the "Waverly" from the famous tuner manufacturer. What kills me is every description I have ever read of a Guild that had these two untrue pieces of info in them actually had the place of Manufacturer listed plainly on the guitar label whether it be Westerly RI, Corona CA, Tacoma WA, or New Hartford CT. Just goes to show that uninformed sellers would rather spin a yarn of BS than take 30 Seconds to actually read the label of the guitar they are selling. I do my best to steer clear of these sellers, especially when you send them the right info in a message and they continue believing their BS story.

Just for clarification for anyone reading this thread in the future, Everything I stated in Post #63 of this thread is pure fiction and was said in jest to the amount of info being discussed here.

Have a good one!

TX

Why u little , yes I used the bad word that ended in er lol

Glad I you fessed up because I was gunna buy that Mertle county built Guild I seen for sale .

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here is the actual Quote form my post Default.

The reason I wrote it this way is that it is an opinion of many people I have spoken with about this time period. Your opinion is different and that is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Don't see how someone's opinion based on their individual experiences with a product is an internet fib. There are several threads on this forum where members discuss the extreme High Quality of the Guild American made Electrics and Acoustics from 1995 on. That is not to take away from the Quality of Guild prior to the Purchase by Fender. Just to state that from the past threads and discussions here on the forum, members feel the electrics and acoustics made during the beginning of the "Fender Owned Era" or more commonly referred to as the "Late Westerly Period" were extremely well built and received as such.

TX

Based on the statements of Hideglue (who worked there) Workedinwesterly(who worked there) and Mike (last name escapes me) who I chatted with when Chris Seeger was installing a ground wire on my T-500.
Let's throw Fixit in there too. Fender did nothing to change the craftsmanship, they added a formalized process, with better documentation. That is what Fender did.
Not my opinion, just the truth.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Based on the statements of Hideglue (who worked there) Workedinwesterly(who worked there) and Mike (last name escapes me) who I chatted with when Chris Seeger was installing a ground wire on my T-500.
Let's throw Fixit in there too. Fender did nothing to change the craftsmanship, they added a formalized process, with better documentation. That is what Fender did.
Not my opinion, just the truth.

Thanks for that info Default.

TX

Reaction score
Just to add to the dealer fib side of things...when I bought my GSR Starfire VI I was told that Ren built these guitars. I already knew this was false and so told the well respected dealer.
Thanks John 15 of 18

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
You sir need to find other things to do ! Like record a new song an original that would be nice !
��

Oh goody. I got 10 originals in the can...are ya ready to hear them? It might take a little time deciding which Guild I should use. :wink-new:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh goody. I got 10 originals in the can...are ya ready to hear them? It might take a little time deciding which Guild I should use. :wink-new:

Be careful MR Cohen when it comes to hearing songs from my forum friends I’m all ears . I fully support the little guys .

Regards
Mr Kohn