The Great GSR mystery?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah so I was bored this weekend and after some Pm's with Master Tx one of which touched on exotic woods along with the mention of the GSR Guild .

I've seen the models listed in some of the members Sigs . I never thought to look into them more until this weekend .

I read through two older threads they mentioned the Reno star models and the GSR but hard numbers on the GSR's

From what I find online it's not much . So in one thread here there was mention of no more then 20 of each or less .

On Wikipedia it listed basic info , so the models listed were in order but at the end of list there is the starfire VI if that's the right model I seen anyway in parentheses it says only 20 made .

I read that as just the Starfire though .

So I went looking for pictures of these mystery guitars lol only found a few like on old Musicians friend photos etc nothing from The old Guild site unless I missed them .

I did find one with pics a f47 that showed the paperwork on said certificate had a number of #704 does this mean there's 700 or more the GSR's ?

Anyway not sure if the numbers of these have been verified so I'm beating the proverbial dead horse .

Told ya I was bored :)

Blue mountain coffee time ;)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Starfire Vl had a run of 18, T-500 had a run of 25. Most other GSR runs are 20, although l expect Ralf to correct me. ;-D

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The GSR M-85-II bass was 25 pieces. only 24 of them included the case, paperwork, strap etc. I own #25 which was a B-stock instrument with no case or case candy. It was one of the very last instruments to leave the NH factory during the summer of 2014.

jazzmang

Reaction score
One of the runs was 10 pieces, from what they said at the final LMG. I don't remember what model. Maybe the Koa F-body?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GSR models were not a mystery at all and I think all of the GSR models were well documented here at LTG at some point in time. The difficulty is that you can't search at LTG for "GSR" as the search string is too short for the forum software. And the problem is that many links are to the old forum version and hence dead links. And Guild itself removed all references to them from their webpage which is a pity... But with a bit of effort (and some special search techniques using Google most if not all models can be found here at LTG.

The best summary regarding models and production numbers is in this post regarding the GSR models and the Custom Star models for Reno's (you have to read to the end):

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?184820-Guild-GSR-Acoustic-Models-and-Production-Numbers&p=1675590&viewfull=1#post1675590

Mind that Guild as well as FMIC never were willing to give exact production numbers, so even if a run was planned with 25 pieces as example you never could be sure if all 25 were actually produced. We had one example were only 2 were produced due to bad quality of the available remaining wood for that specific model. But with a few exeptions the GSR models were great models.

Ralf

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is another SFVI floating around with a finish issue that never made it to market, so, unofficially, 19 for the SF6.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've got pics of my GSR F 47 KOA out on Reverb if anyone wants to see pics. It's a nice Guild. I'm also in the middle of a trade deal with Rich Cohen for my GSR F 40 Cocobolo guitar, also extremely nice.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GSR models were not a mystery at all and I think all of the GSR models were well documented here at LTG at some point in time. The difficulty is that you can't search at LTG for "GSR" as the search string is too short for the forum software. And the problem is that many links are to the old forum version and hence dead links. And Guild itself removed all references to them from their webpage which is a pity... But with a bit of effort (and some special search techniques using Google most if not all models can be found here at LTG.

Ralf
Yes, if you search for "Guild GSR" on google, and select the results from LTG, you'll get all the results, no matter how old. The only thing you'll lose are pics.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want to search for strings smaller than forum software allows use Google with modifiers like this:

site:letstalkguild.com gsr

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok so what is the paper sheet showing # 704
Sorry, forgot to answer that. This GSR F-47KC which you refer to was shown at Summer NAMM 2012, the document you see is the paper that the guitar had when hanging on the NAMM wall. It actually was not supposed to get in customers hands...The #704 was the internal inventory number for that guitar when setting up the booth, so they knew which description belonged to which guitar. Each NAMM model had a running number to match the paperwork and the guitar, during the show there was a sticker on the back of the headstock with that #704 as well.

I attach you a random example from NAMM 2013 of such a paper and the sticker with 504 in that example:

nWWISi5.jpg
mdGHxC8.jpg

Ralf

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to answer that. This GSR F-47KC which you refer to was shown at Summer NAMM 2012, the document you see is the paper that the guitar had when hanging on the NAMM wall. It actually was not supposed to get in customers hands...The #704 was the internal inventory number for that guitar when setting up the booth, so they knew which description belonged to which guitar. Each NAMM model had a running number to match the paperwork and the guitar, during the show there was a sticker on the back of the headstock with that #704 as well.

I attach you a random example from NAMM 2013 of such a paper and the sticker with 504 in that example:

nWWISi5.jpg
mdGHxC8.jpg

Ralf

Ahh very good then .

Now to your Google search comments , my results are not showing much maybe it's the bubble I'm in.

I know back in the day when me and another person would search for the something side by side using the same browser and search engine the results would be different but that was a while ago .

Anyway my search as of yet has only yielded vendors ads and of coarse LTG threads .

I sent a request to Guild for more info be interesting to see what they say .

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I honestly doubt that Guild will have much to say about the GSR Series of Guitars as Cordoba did not receive any of Guild's previous production paperwork or documents from Fender in the sale of the company. Honestly you would be better off contacting Fender on the matter as they were the owner at that time period and I am pretty sure they still have some Guild info on hand. That was how I tracked down my D55 50th was through Fender's records of the original dealer that it shipped to. Truthfully though Ralf's production numbers are about as accurate as you can get in my opinion.

Best of luck

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I honestly doubt that Guild will have much to say about the GSR Series of Guitars as Cordoba did not receive any of Guild's previous production paperwork or documents from Fender in the sale of the company. Honestly you would be better off contacting Fender on the matter as they were the owner at that time period and I am pretty sure they still have some Guild info on hand. That was how I tracked down my D55 50th was through Fender's records of the original dealer that it shipped to. Truthfully though Ralf's production numbers are about as accurate as you can get in my opinion.

Best of luck

TX

Yeah totally forgot about that the email has been sent lol

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Honestly you would be better off contacting Fender on the matter
Fender does not give any info on production numbers outside, I tried that via various Fender inside sources without success. Unless you personally know somebody who actually knows where to look...But I doubt any such records regarding the Guild time still exist inside Fender.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want to search for strings smaller than forum software allows use Google with modifiers like this:
site:letstalkguild.com gsr
Mind that it will only show results which are posted in public LTG folders. The "Member's Cove" results will not show on Google, for many good reasons. And many things were discussed in "LTGers only".
Ralf

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I've got pics of my GSR F 47 KOA out on Reverb if anyone wants to see pics. It's a nice Guild. I'm also in the middle of a trade deal with Rich Cohen for my GSR F 40 Cocobolo guitar, also extremely nice.

Richard, that F47 Koa GSR is one special axe! Hey, LTGers, Richard is a straight shooter. Check out his offerings on Reverb. What you see and what he describes is what you get.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Richard, that F47 Koa GSR is one special axe! Hey, LTGers, Richard is a straight shooter. Check out his offerings on Reverb. What you see and what he describes is what you get.

Yes he is as I bought my lovely F212XLCE from Richard.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fender does not give any info on production numbers outside, I tried that via various Fender inside sources without success. Unless you personally know somebody who actually knows where to look...But I doubt any such records regarding the Guild time still exist inside Fender.
Ralf

That is strange, all I did was send them an email from the Fender site with my inquiry and Number and not only did they send me back the info they even called me back to verify it. Maybe it was because the guitar I inquired about was a Special edition run but who knows? I did receive an email from Guild and Cordoba stating that they did not get any of the earlier production records in the sale and I should try to contact Fender for that info.

TX