Going to Nashville

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm going to a conference in Nashville next week with my friend, on Monday night there will be a big hymn sing in the Grand Ole Opry House with Keith and Kristin Getty, Stuart Townend, Ricky Skaggs, et al. Can't wait for that!

My friend knows Nashville pretty well but I've never been there other than passing through. One place we want to go for sure is Gruhns Instruments. We're also going to check out The Ryman. He knows a good place for an open jam but I'm sure every mother's son there picks the guitar twice as better than I will...

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
We were there in July.

Gruhn's is nice, but the vibe at Carter's is friendlier. They may or may not have Guilds - only had a couple when I was there.

Stayed at Sobro Guest House - great place. My TripAdvisor review is under my same handle as here.

Saw a nice assortment of singer/songwriters at The Listening Room, but it appears they're in the middle of moving.

Had a really good time at the Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar in Printers Alley.

Broadway is more of a zoo every time I go - cover bands all competing to see who is loudest. One nice, quiet respite is Merchants. Good place for a drink and/or lunch.

Had a really nice breakfast at Puckett's - it's close to The Ryman.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, GJ. Another friend recommends we go see the band "Time Jumpers" too.

I'd kinda like to see where Jim Reeves, Hank Snow, Patsy Cline, and Willie Nelson used to hang out, I guess The Ryman would fit that bill.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the advice mg, might give that a try!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess The Ryman would fit that bill.

If you can see a show there, make sure you do.

My first trip it was Rick Springfield, and I thankfully made it out of there and to a divey little cigar bar on Broadway before he started "Jesse's Girl".

The second trip it was the Infamous Stringdusters with Sara Watkins, and it was fantastic. Remember, it is an old, deconsecrated church with wood pews, so no matter how much posterior padding nature provides you, bring a seat cushion.

Yeah, I'd see the Time Jumpers, too - I love western swing (seen Asleep At The Wheel a couple of times) and they do that and a lot more. And some big-time artists have been known to show up and sit in with that band.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
And speaking of guitar stores, if you make over to Franklin, TN (a very cool little town), spend some time at Artisan Guitars at The Factory at Franklin.

I spent a very enjoyable hour there pulling stuff down and playing it, including a $10,000 Brazilian Rosewood custom dreadnought on consignment that sounded like choirs of angels. I barely had it off the hanger when the guy working the floor came trotting over with a very concerned look on his face, letting me know (firmly) that they'd prefer to take the guitars down for you.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, GJ, specially the ones with a $10K price tag!:concern:

Walking Man

Reaction score
Mark, If you get lucky, George will invite you upstairs to his high-end guitar room...You will not be without an employee. It's quite the thumbs-up gesture and an honor. The low-end of the high-end gear leads one to question their morals,values and default settings.