D50...F50R and F55R...

stevem5000

Reaction score
I have a D50 and an F30...love them both...
But arthritis in the shoulder is making the D50 slightly more
difficult to play....my F30 is a bit more comfy...

So...thinking about an F50R....I understand they went out of production for a few years...
And then the F55R replaced the F50R...

Can anyone talk to me about the difference (if any) between the F50R and the F55R...

I know that there was also maple bodied F50's and F55's...
I have an F412 maple...and while I like it the tone is slightly too "hard" for my tastes...

There I prefer the rosewood bodies...

Thoughts and opinions appreciated...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Steven5000 , F55r ? Not seen that model there's JF 55 but it's a Jumbo . Arthritis ugh I can relate hate it , but if you mean a Jumbo would not the larger size make it worse ? Or are you thinking a F30r orchestra size ?

The Monks will be along to help you out , I better get back to the candle making room before I get laundry room duty . 😁

Reaction score
F-50r became the JF-55 for awhile. The maple F-50 became the JF-65. Then they went back to being the F-50 and F-50r.
But they are Super Jumbo sized...17" lower bout. Bigger than a D-50.

Neal

Reaction score
The F-55 and F-55R are the new Oxnard model designations for the F-50 & F-50R. They are listed on the website as "coming soon".

The F-50 size jumbos are big boys, but easier to play in your lap than a dreadnought because of the slimmer waist. They also are a bit shallower in depth than a D-50 or D-55.

My recommendation would be to find an F-47R from either Tacoma ('05-'08) or New Hartford ('09-'14). A little bigger than the F-30, with a red spruce top and EIR back and sides. However, they are as deep (4 7/8") as a dreadnought, so if it is depth rather than width that is the problem, maybe not...

Another option so the F-30R Standard, which was produced for a short time in New Hartford. It is Sitka spruce over EIR, with a 1 3/4 nut.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Actually I think the Oxnard Designation that is not in production yet is the F55 and the F55 Maple. For 12 strings in the same models they are calling them a F512 and a F512 Maple.

TX

johnny3j

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a JF55 and AFAIK the only difference between an F50 and a JF55 was the abalone soundhole ring which the JF55 had.
To confuse even further :excitement:, there are some early JF55s which did not have the ring and are identical to an F50.
Talking purely about guitars made in Westerly RI, that is.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In reference to the original post, F50R's and F512's are some of the best guitars Guild ever made in my opinion. There is just something about a Rosewood Jumbo Guild that can't be recreated by any other guitar. My favorites are from the New Hartford years of production (2009-2014) as they are a bit lighter builds that tend to be more resonant than most in my experience. Others may differ in opinions on different years of manufacturer but the New Hartford years to me are the cream of the crop. The Tacoma made (2005-2008) F50Rs and F512s are wonderful guitars as well and the differences in construction and materials that make the New Hartford models so special in my eyes were implemented during the Tacoma years of Production.

The New Hartford F50rs and F512s all have scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce bracing as most of the Tacoma guitars do as well. This adds a bit of sparkle to the overall well balanced tone of the F50R and F512 models from these periods. New Hartford models have a Beautiful Solid Ebony wood headstock Faceplate where the other models are plastic or fiberboard. N.H. models have Bone Compensated Saddles, Bone nuts, and Bone bridge pins from the factory in place of Micarta saddles, Nuts, and plastic Bridge pins. They are also equipped with open back tuners which take a little weight off of the headstock end of the guitar. The N.H. F512s have open back Slot Head tuners that resemble the vintage Fender Strat top load tuners which make string changes extremely easy. The necks on N.H. models have Dual Action Truss Rods which allow for precise adjustment of neck relief in both directions instead of the single action truss rod necks on earlier models that just adjust against the natural tension of the wood neck in one direction. During Tacoma Production Guild switched it's 12 strings including the F512 from a dual truss rod neck setup to a single truss rod setup with Graphite reinforcement in the neck. This setup works great in my opinion and keeps the guitar from being a bit neck heavy with the reduced weight of the single truss rod design while maintaining it's strength through the Graphite reinforcement. The Nitro finish on the N.H. models is sprayed and finished relatively thin allowing the wood of the guitar to continue to breathe and vibrate more freely than some of the thicker finishes of the past.

The factory installed pickup for the New Hartford models is the 18 volt DTAR Wavelength Multisource (Now called the Duncan Wavelength Duo) which has an Under Saddle Transducer pickup that can be blended with a Small Condenser mic mounted on the soundhole controls for an Amazingly Accurate reproduction of the natural acoustic tone of the guitar. The 18 volt internally mounted preamp prevents the UST from quacking when pushed like it does on some other 9 volt systems. Whether you play light or hard the pickup reproduces every nuance or driving rhythm pattern you can throw at it. The Tacoma made Models had an earlier DTAR 18 volt pickup that was UST only and called the "Lock N' Load" due to the batteries being inserted into the endpin itself.

I have played F50Rs and F512s from most eras of Guild Production and I keep coming back to the New Hartford and Tacoma Models. I have heard more than one Tacoma F50R or F512 that just sounded Amazing and I have yet to hear a New Hartford model that doesn't sound Amazing. They had some real magic going on throughout these years of production and I know I am not the only one around here that thinks so.

Personally I find the tone extremely well balanced in the N.H. F50R with a wonderful low end that is Crystal Clear. Truth be told the F50R projects well across the entire tone spectrum including creamy mids and sparking highs. The note separation is great when flatpicking but it sounds like an entire symphony is playing along with you when strumming due to the abundance of overtones from the rosewood. The F50R also responds extremely well to fingerpicking with a nice touch response that really brings out the subtle nuances of your playing style. As far as the tone of the N.H. F512, It is simply summed up by saying it sounds like a choir of angels singing along while you play, LOL!

Best of luck in your search and If you can try one out I suggest doing so before buying. My jumbos are easier for me to play than my dreads due to the shape of the waist and also the body not being as deep as the dreads. This is just my experience and I am sure others have had different experiences so it really is something you need to "Try On" to see if it works for you.

TX

Last edited:

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Personally I find the tone extremely well balanced in the N.H. F50R with a wonderful low end that is Crystal Clear. Truth be told the F50R projects well across the entire tone spectrum including creamy mids and sparking highs. The note separation is great when flatpicking but it sounds like an entire symphony is playing along with you when strumming due to the abundance of overtones from the rosewood. The F50R also responds extremely well to fingerpicking with a nice touch response that really brings out the subtle nuances of your playing style. As far as the tone of the N.H. F512, It is simply summed up by saying it sounds like a choir of angels singing along while you play, LOL! "

Tx, this is taking enabling to the nth degree. Well done, sir. I thought I had my GAS under control. Sigh.

merlin6666

Reaction score
My recommendation would be to find an F-47R from either Tacoma ('05-'08) or New Hartford ('09-'14). A little bigger than the F-30, with a red spruce top and EIR back and sides. However, they are as deep (4 7/8") as a dreadnought, so if it is depth rather than width that is the problem, maybe not...

Another option so the F-30R Standard, which was produced for a short time in New Hartford. It is Sitka spruce over EIR, with a 1 3/4 nut.

There was also a F40 produced in New Hartford which I assume is in size somewhere in between the F30 and F47. There are still some NOS limited edition Cocobolo GSR F40 models around. I have been contemplating one of these myself ...

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
At age 65 and with all of the aches and pains that goes with it, I also find that sitting on a chair and playing a Jumbo or even a Dred hurts after just a few songs.
I tried going to a small guitar but the pain was still there after a bit more playing time.
I also didn't like the loss of sound that the bigger guitars have.

My answer was too use a taller stool and play with a strap on the guitar.
By doing this the angle that I hold the guitar is lowered and the pain is much less.

If I do sit in a standard size chair, I use a foot rest to bring by right foot up several inches off the floor.
This helps but isn't as effective as the tall stool is.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
There was also a F40 produced in New Hartford which I assume is in size somewhere in between the F30 and F47. There are still some NOS limited edition Cocobolo GSR F40 models around. I have been contemplating one of these myself ...
F30=15" lower bout (give or take fractions)
F40 and derivatives like F47=16" lower bout and various depths, even down to 3-1/2" in the case of F65ce (my current favorite for comfort)
F50 and derivatives (12ers, "JF"S, F55's)= 17" lower bout.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tx, this is taking enabling to the nth degree. Well done, sir. I thought I had my GAS under control. Sigh.

If you ever get the chance to try one Sixx I highly reccommend it. Just be careful, If you do play one and it hits all the right "Chords" with you it is almost impossible to get it out of your mind. LOL!

The New Hartford F40 traditional models have a 16" lower bout with an Adirondack Spruce top and Hog back and sides as opposed to the F50r/F512 which is Sitka topped and EIR back and sides. Like Merlin mentioned earlier they did make the GSR F40 Cocobolo in New Hartford which has a Carpathian Spruce Top and Cocobolo back and sides. There were only 20 of these GSR F40 Cocobolo guitars made with 10 being offered in the USA and 10 being offered internationally for sale through Dealers. There are one or two floating around for sale right now with one being still new from the dealer here stateside and one being offered used on Reverb if I remember correctly.

One other thing about the New Hartford F50R and F512 as opposed to other years and locations of manufacture is the depth of the body. Most other eras of production can see the F50r and F512 (or their equivalent models aka JF55 and JF55-12) have a considerable Body depth that makes playing them difficult for some people. I have 2 New Hartford F50Rs and 2 New Hartford F512s and all of them have bodies that are 3.75" deep at the upper bout/neck joint area and 4.75" deep at the tail block. This is considerably less than earlier models and makes getting your arm around them a lot easier. Surprisingly the more shallow body has no adverse effect on their output and may be a contributing factor to the Balanced aspect of their tone.

TX

Last edited:

stevem5000

Reaction score
WOW...!!!....
Many GREAT comments and ideas...Thanks everyone...

Reading thru everything it appears that if I can find one an F50R from the NH years is about my best bet...

Here's my deal...I'm 74....6'-4"...36" sleeve and went thru a right shoulder total replacement 2+ years ago...

I've been plunking on my F30 almost all the time because it was just a bit more comfy...but I prefer the tonal quality
of my F50 more...they are BOTH Rosewood side & back...I tried out a D40 the other day...I believe that has mahogany
back and sides and I didn't like the tone...So...I'm stickin' with Rosewood...(that D40 I think was the ONLY used Guild in town)...

Used Guilds don't come up for sale very often in my neck of the woods...so the possibility of my playing an F50R before
I purchase it is pretty slim...but I do get to Chicago fairly often...and I look thru Chicago Guitar Exchange...last time I was there
they had a total of 6 Guilds...!!!...In a city the size of Chicago I kinda suspect that those who have Guilds just keep them...

Probably find something on eBay...or maybe CL...

Anyway I digress....so....Looking for an F50R or an F55R NH or Tacoma...

Many thanks again to everyone who responded...loved reading thru all your comments...:)

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looking for an F50R or an F55R NH or Tacoma...
Steve, an F55R did never exist in the past and will under that name not exist in the futhure either.

In 2018 Guild in Oxnard will start an F-55 (Rosewood, former name F-50R)
http://guildguitars.com/g/f-55/

and an F-55 Maple (former name F-50).
http://guildguitars.com/g/f-55-maple/

So your options are F-50R with 17" lower bout width and 4.5" lower bout depth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C51V84vsbUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFcnDlDcMmw

or F-47R with 16" lower bout width and 4.875" lower bout depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2CWMav6q-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccbEp9KmoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSo_qKY0Y_A

Ralf

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So with the Arthritis the bigger guitar is better ?
I stay confused lol

If your a strummer don't kick the Mahoganies to the curb . If your a strummer and ginger picker the same applies but the tone does come down to the guitar some are duds some are not .

If your a soloist leaning more towards the instrumental side that's where Rosewood really shines .

Singer song writers seem to prefer the Mahogany guitars as there more balanced with the voice where overtones from Rosewood guitars can get in the way but like anything it's just depends on your style of playing which you have not mentioned. 😁

Just remember your price range is not up to par so to say for what your now considering .

Good luck .

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yes, the only reason I'm staying cool is that Tx has already enabled me into a New Hartford F50R, which is everything he says it is, and more!

f50r557.jpg

At age 65 and with all of the aches and pains that goes with it....

You're singing to the choir, TMG. I'm 6 feet, still gotta wrestle with my jumbos. The more you play, the longer you can play....

....F50 and derivatives (12ers, "JF"S, F55's)= 17" lower bout.

My F50R is 17-3/8, maybe closer to 17-1/4. JUMBO, baby!

Used Guilds don't come up for sale very often in my neck of the woods... Probably find something on eBay...or maybe CL...

I got mine off reverb.com. It turned out incredibly fantastic. There are a few there now, but none from New Hartford. I might add that my Corona-built JF30-12 (brother of F412) is right up there with New Hartford in quality, I think. Take your time. The hunt is part of the fun. :tiger:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Come on Couger between you and Tx (luv ya both ) your killing me !!! Lol I gunna go cry now .