New old homemade guitar day - Oh please do tele!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
So I had a nicely relic'd tele body with racing stripes laying around and I used some of the funds from selling my S-300 to do the following:

1 - Buy an MIM RW Tele neck with Jumbo Frets
2 - Buy a Seymour Duncan bridge pick up made in the US
3 - Bought some relic'd parts from John's Music Stuff in Little Elm, TX i.e. strap buttons, bridge, US aged pickguard, pre-wired switch plate

My fellow North Texans - John has a small shop in his garage and carries a myriad of different parts for mainly Fenders, but some Gibsons. He is getting stuff in all the time. He does custom relic jobs or sells the parts so that you can build your own. If you are within 40 miles of Little Elm and working on a project he is worth a drive. His prices are extremely fair. If you buy your parts from Guitarfetish you are likely to spend more on shipping than in Gas to get there. That and John is extremely informative and has just about anything you would need for a Fender project.

My son and I found an LTD ESP body when we were dumpster diving Guitar Center and John had enough Gibson parts for us to finish it out. And for dirt cheap. Granted they were aftermarket. Buuuuut not going to drop heavy coin on a dumpster guit.

Here are some pictures. First of the body pre-completion and then of the finished product.

IUkLhO2.jpg

JMDtgr3.jpg

GcJ9Hiv.jpg

xEdXCfH.jpg

zlTW6oF.jpg

kakerlak

Reaction score
Some 0000 steel wool to that bridge plate will clean it right up! ;-)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool! How's it sound?

Like a tele should my good man. Those big frets are taking getting used to but she has killer tone. Brass saddles on rosewood fb makes a really interesting combo to me. Maybe I am just a noob but I am digging the combo. The body is Ash so it has weight. Got it wired 3 way traditional like. Almost just made it an esquire with no neck p/u but truthfully the relic'd aftermarket neck p/u I put in there sounds pretty damn nice to my ears. The middle position is my fave blending the Duncan bridge with the neck p/u. So all in all I am really digging it. It is a nice companion to my maple fb strat.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Dumpster diving at Guitar Center"! Love it!

walrus

Sometimes you find something. Sometimes. Hell I figure I am going to go there any way might as well see what they've thrown away :)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Born To Be Wild" was recorded on an Esquire.
Just sayin'.
:friendly_wink:

( carson voice ) I did not know that...
There is a part of me that wishes I would have kept my esquire idea. Something simple and beautiful about an esquire ( though I know some have the bridge behind the pickguard ).

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
( carson voice ) I did not know that...
There is a part of me that wishes I would have kept my esquire idea. Something simple and beautiful about an esquire ( though I know some have the bridge behind the pickguard ).

Correction: Pickup behind the guard. Wow that would a hell of a strange axe with the bridge behind the pickguard.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh man, that is sweet.

You need some beat-to-hell, road-worn case to go with that, as well as some sort of stage getup that's a cross between Keef and Bruce.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Song idea!
Been there done that:

"Trash Man Blues"
Al McKay (Adorshki) 1998

"Been out dumpster divin',
Been out dumpster divin' all night long...
Well I been out dumpster divin'
Been out dumpster divin' all night long...
And you know that's where I found you babe..
if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be singin' this song...."
(refrain):
I'll be your trashman baby.
I'll pick it up if you leave it lyin' around.
I'll be your trashman baby.
I'll pick it up if you leave it outside the door.
But if you ain't got no more trash babe, guess I won't be a-comin' around no more..

Written for a landlord I had an affair with.
She lived right next door and when the affair was over she started leaving her brown paper bag of kitchen trash outside her door overnight.
So I looked at it one morning and said to myself "What, do you expect me take your trash out to the dumpster for you?"
And realized, yes, she did.
And a song was born.

(End of hijack)
:friendly_wink: