Why should a classical rest on your left leg?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I often play my electrics the same way. It was something I started doing after one of my surgeries when I discovered that it was far more comfortable to play that way. It really depends on the guitar, though.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Why should a classical rest on your left leg? It doesn't matter with other guitars, right?

Think "Posh Tour", Darryl.

That military-grade positioning was developed over a long time in an effort to reduce tension in the body and likelihood of injury. You can use that position with (almost) any guitar. Larger (jumbo) guitars can present some challenges for smaller players.

Should you ever want to give it a go, for right-handed players:

Sit on a chair/bench/stool that positions your buttocks a little higher than your knees.
Elevate your left foot so your left knee is a little higher than parallel.
Scoot to the front of the seat.
Square your shoulders and sit up straight.
Place the waist of the guitar on your left leg, with the headstock at approximately eye level (approximately 45°).
Spread your legs to accommodate the lower bout (having your right leg angle a bit downward and your left leg angle a bit upward assists, here).

Ironically, for most players, trying to hold a guitar in this contorted position causes all kinds of new aches and pains, at least for a while. Try it, you might like it.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Aches and pains and surgeries are why I mostly play standing up...

walrus

silverfox103

Reaction score
If you put the guitar on your left leg and elevate it, you will have more freedom with your left arm. If you have it on your right leg, and not elevated, your movement is limited.

towner_abercrombie_1976.jpg

Here is a picture you can see what I'm talking about. John Abercrombie is resting the guitar on his right leg and you can see his arm movement is very limited, locked in by his body. Ralph Towner on the other hand, has the guitar elevated and on his left knee. He has much more freedom of movement.

Tom

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What I do is get something I think is good, then take guitar with no strap (cuz I don't play standing up) and prop it up on someone's bed, chair, ottoman.... whatever is there and then try to play it like that. It's not always effective but it's a challenge and .... you all know how I like a challenge..... not. But to make a point I will try to play that way. That's the best I can do.....

Now if we're talking about having a good stool..... I've been doing fiber religiously...... :devilish:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why should a classical rest on your left leg?

It doesn't matter with other guitars, right?

Ignoring all the answers you have received (which means I have not read the thread yet), you should rest any guitar on your left leg if it is easier to play. Specifically I use that position for bass, while seated, when I am playing a lot above the seventh fret, or so. The upper frets are just so much easier to reach.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So much to joke about in this thread, yet only Tom was brave enough to do so - thanks, Tom!

walrus

silverfox103

Reaction score
Silver,

How much do these cost?

dh

It's been a while since I bought one, but I think they were somewhere between 30 and 40 bucks & ship.

I think I bought them here: http://www.classicalguitarstore.com/ This explains a little: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAj7l0Rh7a8

And they are on Amazon. They have similar brands starting a $20. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...&sprefix=dynarette,aps,159&crid=1F4ZSDAZLE4RU

Dynarette's have a medium and a large size, I use a large, but others like the medium. What I like, is that your not raising your leg but only raising the guitar; thus not twisting your back.

Silver,

Since these come from Sweden, talar du Svenska by any chance?

dh

I think the answer is no, unless you are asking me something about a Swedish blonde, then the answer is yes.

Tom

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used to fuss with all of this before I discovered the guitar strap...