New Member and new D25 owner. Thoughts on D25

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I love my D25 as well. It probably has the best action of all my guitars and looks just like the cherry colored example pictured above! My D25 is 3 days older than Al's above (10/28/96).
best,
Tony
'84 D40 NT
'96 D4 NT
'96 D25 CH
'98 D225 NT (basically a D25 12)
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

Mine also looks like the Cherry one above. Best I can tell is that it is a 2000 although I could be wrong. Serial starts with AD 403..... Yes mine also has the lowest action possible of just about any acoustic I have played without buzzing. A testament to Guild really knowing what they are doing.... I am probably used to medium action but it sure is nice to not have to wrestle with the thing. I also noticed the fretboard is a bit wider than I am used to. Not sure what the width is. Also any recommendations on a compensated saddle would be appreciated if anyone knows which ones slot in easily..

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I been liking mine just fine. Most of my LTG friends know I can be a tad fickle re the Br...that being said, it is still my only guitar.
meaning the only one i play at all. Nic plays the Cruz.

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/boost

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Hi, Acousticguy!

Yup. Had a sixties D-25 through most of the seventies and loved it. Now have a seventies D-35 and a seventies Martin D-28, and the Guild is number one: a real take-charge/take-no-prisoners instrument.

Tip:

Tune your B string just a notch or two low. It's an old banjo and dobro players' trick. Focus your ear and you might even hear it fall into place. It's the poor picker's compensated saddle. Read up on tempered tuning and it'll make sense.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tip:

Tune your B string just a notch or two low. It's an old banjo and dobro players' trick. Focus your ear and you might even hear it fall into place. It's the poor picker's compensated saddle. Read up on tempered tuning and it'll make sense.

what? please elaborate Charlie, would love to try this on my D25 now.

thanks

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Fred, what is your '76 serial #? Is it actually called a "Burgundy?" Maybe the same as mine...serial # 146147.

a6DE1p9.jpg

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
HTune your B string just a notch or two low. It's an old banjo and dobro players' trick. Focus your ear and you might even hear it fall into place. It's the poor picker's compensated saddle. Read up on tempered tuning and it'll make sense.

what? please elaborate Charlie, would love to try this on my D25 now.

An open string can be tuned perfectly, but fretting it adds a tiny bit of extra tension to the string, sharpening it. Tuning a touch low is more commonly done for the A and low E strings, I'd expect.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
An open string can be tuned perfectly, but fretting it adds a tiny bit of extra tension to the string, sharpening it. Tuning a touch low is more commonly done for the A and low E strings, I'd expect.

Two fixes for that .
One is perfect compensation
The other is fretless !

Ooooo he drops the mic ! And he’s getting a beer 🍺
Folks I’m getting a beer to 😁

Last edited:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Welcome aboard the LTG forum! I love my '96 D25 cherry. It has a nice, dark, "smokey" sound if that makes sense! And it probably has the nicest action of all my guitars! Right now my D30 is my main ax, but I still love the D25 just the same.
cheers,
Tony
'84 D40 NT
'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT
'98 D30 AB
'98 D225 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce

Neal

Reaction score
I own a '71 D-25 all-mahogany flat-back just like Wood's.

It is my "at work" guitar, kept leaning up against a cabinet right behind me whenever I need a strum break.

Most forum members know of my struggles with 1 11/16" nuts, but that guitar will never be sold.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Fred, what is your '76 serial #? Is it actually called a "Burgundy?" Maybe the same as mine...serial # 146147.

a6DE1p9.jpg

oh that is a great pic! That Guild makes the lawn look awesome.