RIP Don Williams The Gentle Giant is Gone

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don Williams one of Country Music's all time great voices and songwriters passed away today at the age of 78. RIP Don, I grew up on your music and honestly don't think there is one song of yours that I don't know all the words to. Such a smooth voice and such a great persona as well, He will be missed. To the Gentle Giant, May your journey be full of wonder.

rs-230434-f7d9f152-9305-42f5-a739-bdf2e14ac420-1.jpg

TX

gilded

Reaction score
Billy Sanford, who played the intro line on Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman, is Don's lead player on this vid. So cool.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeeze and kinda young, you know? He's a legend and and master and .... oh jeeze. I'm just so sad at this news. Thanks for delivering the bad news, TX. The music world really lost a good one this time. RIP, my talented friend..... thanks for everything. :sorrow:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not a country fan, but I recently realized that I've been loving one of his songs for decades, when Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane covered Till the Rivers All Run Dry in their Rougn Mix album. Gentle certainly describes it; a beautiful song.
R.I.P.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I pulled out my Don Williams Definitive Collection CD last night and popped it into my Computer. Just Blown Away by a few things right off the bat. Like I said before his voice is just so damn smooth it is ridiculous, LOL. I knew the words to every song once the music started. The thing that really got me was throughout all of his hits, A lot have a Country of Bluegrass style background of course But what surprised me most is the Jazz, Blues, and Rock rhythm influences that a lot of them have combined together. Just about every song has a simple rhythmic run in it like a signature that just keeps resonating after the song is over like a lyric. He was one of the Ultimate Story Telling songwriters of all time in my book. In Every song he takes you on a Journey as if you were there for 3 minutes and 15 seconds and then brings you back home. That honestly to me is a lost art in today's country music let alone Music all together.

I'm listening to him now as I right this and just letting the memories attached to each of those songs or "Journeys" as I like to call them wash over me. He was just an Amazing man with a wonderful pure way to touch people with his music. Best morning I have had in awhile. RIP Don and Thanks for the many gifts you left behind.

TX