F50R pricing

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

From the ad:

"remember, the maple f-50 is a laminate which is a nice way of saying " plywood "
F--k this seller's snarky bs.
Given choices, I'd boycott 'im.

More BS:
"recently purchased Seymore Duncan Woody XL pickup with adjustable pole pieces which is absolutely necessary as the plain
strings are much louder."
Right. Everybody knows Guild's tone is always top-heavy and never balanced.
"I've played and loved these big, top of the line Guilds for over 40 years."
Even if they are made out of plywood and the trebles are way too loud.
"the low price is in no way indicating anything even minutely wrong, this is just what I can sell it for"
Even with that finish flaw you took pains to point out on back of neck.
"I keep an early james goodall standard by the couch but it seems to get hit by a falling remote every time I get up so the rest stay in their cases for protection. "
You keep your remote in a beer bottle?
You're reduced to selling on Reverb now that Craigslist blacklisted you?

Ok rant over.

Last edited:

krugjr

Reaction score
Al.....yeah, that shows the guy (or gal) doesn't really know Guilds at all.......but it does look like a decent F50R...... some have said "a heavier build" than New Hartfords?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al.....yeah, that shows the guy (or gal) doesn't really know Guilds at all.......but it does look like a decent F50R...... some have said "a heavier build" than New Hartfords?
Probably, especially first year Tacoma.
They were reputed to get lighter in later builds, but that's just my recollection of feedback here.
Let's not forget New Hartford completely revised build specs such that no parts between Tacomas and NH builds were interchangeable, and it's fairly universally agreed NH builds were lighter and more resonant.
Except for that finish flaw on neck it does look "decent" but I hate ads buried in hype and that's why I said "given a choice", ie, another source for an equal or better guitar, I'd boycott 'I'm.
After all, he "doesn't need to sell it"

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget New Hartford completely revised build specs such that no parts between Tacomas and NH builds were interchangeable, and it's fairly universally agreed NH builds were lighter and more resonant.

The transition to lighter builds started in Tacoma. The Factory Bone compensated saddles were interchangeable on the later Tacoma F50's and the New Hartford models If I recall correctly. Also a lot of the build characteristics of the New Hartford made F50R's were introduced in the Tacoma era with the most notable one being the Scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce Bracing. On the 12 strings the Graphite Reinforced Single truss rod neck was introduced in Tacoma as well which was a mainstay at New Hartford. That was a great design factor as it reduced the weight of the neck by one truss rod allowing the guitar to feel more balanced in the hand and not as neck heavy as the earlier dual truss rod Guild setup. I am not sure if Tacoma introduced the Dual Action Truss rod or not but I know they were standard equipment on the New Hartford models. When you pull off the factory truss rod cover they normally have a sticker on the back that says, "Dual Action Truss Rod" on them. Just a few things that were the same on Tacoma and New Hartford models and I am sure there are plenty more I am not mentioning.

TX

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looking at the blemish on the back of the neck of this one I would err on the side of caution. That blemish is consistently along the edge of the center strip of the neck wood. With as much B.S. as this seller is spewing I wouldn't be surprised if they over tightened the truss rod causing a crack at the lamination point of the neck wood. Between the seller's misinformation campaign and the actual location of the neck blemish I would walk away from this one as fast as I could. Not worth it to me to inherit someone else's issues especially when you don't know how the guitar has been maintained and cared for. Personally it is just not worth it to me. Just an opinion as always.

TX

krugjr

Reaction score
I agree, TX.....when someone loves the sales "pitch" more than they love, or even know, the "guitar".....I usually see a red flag waving in the back ground.....I just thought of RayK when I saw it.....

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looking at the blemish on the back of the neck of this one I would err on the side of caution. That blemish is consistently along the edge of the center strip of the neck wood. With as much B.S. as this seller is spewing I wouldn't be surprised if they over tightened the truss rod causing a crack at the lamination point of the neck wood. Between the seller's misinformation campaign and the actual location of the neck blemish I would walk away from this one as fast as I could. Not worth it to me to inherit someone else's issues especially when you don't know how the guitar has been maintained and cared for. Personally it is just not worth it to me. Just an opinion as always.

TX
Boy I need to ask your advice on my next buy and everyone after that !
Never thought of the center strip . :(

I agree, TX.....when someone loves the sales "pitch" more than they love, or even know, the "guitar".....I usually see a red flag waving in the back ground.....I just thought of RayK when I saw it.....

I offered 1,300 for that guitar and yes your right sales pitch . I mentioned before my apologies for repeating myself the counter offer was " oh your so close just a little more money your almost there , sad to be so close and let this one get a way "

They went on to spew forth how it has a great pickup at which point I said keep it and I don't pay for add on's . To me it's like a used car that's worth 500 bucks but they asking 1500 because of the stereo . Anyway that's my mindset damaged as it is .

Now I'm glad they refused my offer .

But things happen for a reason and my new purchase made it all worth while .

Thanks for thinking of me Krugjr . :)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Boy I need to ask your advice on my next buy and everyone after that !
Never thought of the center strip . :(

I offered 1,300 for that guitar and yes your right sales pitch . I mentioned before my apologies for repeating myself the counter offer was " oh your so close just a little more money your almost there , sad to be so close and let this one get a way "

They went on to spew forth how it has a great pickup at which point I said keep it and I don't pay for add on's . To me it's like a used car that's worth 500 bucks but they asking 1500 because of the stereo . Anyway that's my mindset damaged as it is .

Now I'm glad they refused my offer .

But things happen for a reason and my new purchase made it all worth while .

Thanks for thinking of me Krugjr . :)

I know what your getting! HaHaHaHaHaHa, Congrats you Ret-USA!:surprise:

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know what your getting! HaHaHaHaHaHa, Congrats you Ret-USA!:surprise:

TX

Retusa ? You calling me a small sea snail 🐌 lol
And there's no way you know what I got .
Unless you hacked my iOS device , you didn't did you ? Haha

krugjr

Reaction score
RayK.....I'm interested in what you got too.....

side note.....we discussed strings 2-3 weeks ago.....TX, I haven't put on the Elixer HD Lights yet.....I put the Earthwood 80/20 Bronze meds on my F50R (they were the string of discussion) and I must say they sound really good.....while I find it difficult to ""compare" strings (it's too long in between sets to remember, ha..ha) I now just rate them 1-3 (for a given guitar).....3: nope, not putting them on that guitar again...2: OK, if that's all I had, I'd put them on and get by...1: very good sound and feel...they could be the "go to" string for this guitar any time.....for my F50R, the Earthwoods are a #1.....when they go dead ( I believe RayK says pretty quickly) I'll move on to the Elixders, D'Addarios and GHSs I have in waiting.....the Earthwoods fit the F50R and my rhythm style...an earthy, woody, hmmmm, imagine that, warmth to the tone that is indeed very pleasing to my ears.....have a great weekend, everyone...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
RayK.....I'm interested in what you got too.....

side note.....we discussed strings 2-3 weeks ago.....TX, I haven't put on the Elixer HD Lights yet.....I put the Earthwood 80/20 Bronze meds on my F50R (they were the string of discussion) and I must say they sound really good.....while I find it difficult to ""compare" strings (it's too long in between sets to remember, ha..ha) I now just rate them 1-3 (for a given guitar).....3: nope, not putting them on that guitar again...2: OK, if that's all I had, I'd put them on and get by...1: very good sound and feel...they could be the "go to" string for this guitar any time.....for my F50R, the Earthwoods are a #1.....when they go dead ( I believe RayK says pretty quickly) I'll move on to the Elixders, D'Addarios and GHSs I have in waiting.....the Earthwoods fit the F50R and my rhythm style...an earthy, woody, hmmmm, imagine that, warmth to the tone that is indeed very pleasing to my ears.....have a great weekend, everyone...

Earthwoods cool can't beat the price 😁

Ya all will see the new git fiddle soon as I get it ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if Tacoma introduced the Dual Action Truss rod or not but I know they were standard equipment on the New Hartford models. When you pull off the factory truss rod cover they normally have a sticker on the back that says, "Dual Action Truss Rod" on them. Just a few things that were the same on Tacoma and New Hartford models and I am sure there are plenty more I am not mentioning.
Yes the dual action rod was introduced in Tacoma.
Also the single truss with flanking stabilizers in 12-ers, although the Tacoma F512 spec sheet was never updated to show that.
BUT, I probably should have qualified my statement that none of the wood parts were interchangeable.
Sorry don't have time to search for thread that stated that, but "no interchangeable parts" is clearly stuck in my head and I'm 100% certain it was said here.
I'm forgetting who it was but he was given a brand new New Hartford F50 as a warranty exchange for his Tacoma, because they couldn't repair the neck in New Hartford, due to that issue of no interchangability of parts. (Speaking of flaws noted on the subject guitar of post #80 in this thread...)
One of the big changes in NH was re-spec'ing of top radius, too.
So even though the adi bracing started in Tacoma, those braces probably won't fit under an NH top.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes the dual action rod was introduced in Tacoma.
Also the single truss with flanking stabilizers in 12-ers, although the Tacoma F512 spec sheet was never updated to show that.

I mentioned the 12 string neck changes in the same post you quoted. One of my Favorite design changes as it eliminated weight from the neck and balanced out the guitar a bit more.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I mentioned the 12 string neck changes in the same post you quoted. One of my Favorite design changes as it eliminated weight from the neck and balanced out the guitar a bit more.
TX
Yeah, sorry. My attention's getting a bit whipsawed lately.
I'm even open to corrections about my memory of that "no interchangability" quote, just for the sake of accuracy.
:friendly_wink: