We are prepared for the worst..........

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
missing my grandmothers funeral because of this one, cancelled my flights last night. luckilly the funeral will happen today, Thursday, before the storm hits. but it was just too risky to possibly get stuck down there for a week or longer unplanned, especially during hurricane/evacuations/no power etc...

my best wishes to all in the hurricane's path. my inconvenience is no comparison to living through one of these.

MAVUSER,
I am sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. It is always tough to take and accept the loss.

jcwu

Reaction score
How are you folks doing there in Florida? Still planning to ride it out?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
I secured my apartment Sanford (just North of Orlando) as well as I could yesterday, packed up my most important instruments, my records, and my record player, and headed up to my buddy's house in Jacksonville. Looks like the storm will be a lot mellower by the time it reaches us up here. My brother in Sarasota left his house and went to a local storm shelter. My parents, about 25 miles South of there put up the shutters and are hunkering down. Their house is pretty much in the exact path of the eye at this point, which according to some things I've heard is better than being located just East of the eye because of the rotation of the winds? Not positive on that. Either way, it's down to a category 3 the last I heard, so I think with a little bit of luck we should all be okay. Talked to my friend in West Palm Beach an hour or two ago and she said they still have power, though the storm surge is quite high and there are a lot of trees down. Up here in Jacksonville it's just raining at this point. Should hit us hardest here tonight, into the morning. All I know is that as long as I'm safe and dry, so is my Starfire :)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We have the shutters up and the sandbags down. Generator at the ready for the aftermath, but I dread an extended lack of A/C. if that happens.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know who is going to eat all the Chefboyrdee in my pantry.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We have the shutters up and the sandbags down. Generator at the ready for the aftermath, but I dread an extended lack of A/C. if that happens.

Firstly, good luck as the storm passes.

No window unit?

I had an older unit that was my hurricane unit, but after two moves and sitting in the garage for years, I went shopping for a new one, and was met with empty shelves last Tuesday. Except for a bunch of giant ones. Many people around here still spooked from Ivan, and they hit the stores way before it was even close.

Finally found a new one of reasonable size a couple of Lowes away.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

You can go and get a "Portable AC" unit from Lowes that is fully self contained on wheels, Plugs in to 110/115V Receptacle, and is rated for 12.000 BTU for about $319. I have 2 of them in my house from when we were replacing and having problems with my AC this summer. They are great for up to a 4-500 square foot room and will get down in the 60's while it is 90-100 outside. The brand is Hisense and you can find them on the internet at Lowe's website to compare the different models. They normally have 20-25 on hand at every store and a lot of folks don;t know about them as they are a relatively new item. Best of luck with the storm.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got in-laws that are still reporting from above Miami and ..... this is just insane!! The world has gone MAD!!

I just sit here in my stupor playing guitars in Las Vegas and feeling like I'm the luckiest guy in the world, you KNOW??

Speaking of irony.... I'm still humidifying like crazy even though the humidifiers are going 24/7 and we have thunderstorms daily!!

Life is WEIRD. You may quote me on that one........ :bi_polo:

Stay safe mis amigos!! <3

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Once more, we were extremely lucky, as we have zero damage on the house, and even outside (the tool shed straps hooked to anchors set in concrete, did their job, pic attached) and to top it off we are one of the few lucky neighborhoods that NEVER lost power...... So we won't even have to throw away the freezer content when we get back.

Dave, and others, hope you fared well also, keep us updated.

One little game for y'all now that the stress is gone: When I left the house, at that time Irma's track was right down on us, I had no idea whether we would still have a house when coming back, nor any idea about the condition of its content, so contemplating a worst case scenario, I decided to grab 3 of my guitars (the decision was extremely painful to make), try to guess which ones.
Here's a couple of clues:
One of them is an acoustic.
One of them is a solid body.
One of them is not a Guild.

Thanks again to all the well wishing, and expression of concern.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, bluesy!

Let's see, the DV72, the carved S100, and a Les Paul?

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it, bluesy!

Let's see, the DV72, the carved S100, and a Les Paul?

walrus

Thanks Waly! I'm impressed. You did pretty good, you got the Les Paul and the DV 72.
But remember one of the clues: Only ONE is a solid body. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If it were me, the other one would be the '66 Starfire!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Once more, we were extremely lucky, as we have zero damage on the house, and even outside (the tool shed straps hooked to anchors set in concrete, did their job, pic attached) and to top it off we are one of the few lucky neighborhoods that NEVER lost power...... So we won't even have to throw away the freezer content when we get back.
Thanks again to all the well wishing, and expression of concern.

I was thinkin'' bout you yesterday.
Was gonna remind you it was strongly suggested not to snorkel during the 'cane but then figured it wouldn't-a done any good anyway.
So, pics?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
LOL... you'd think that suggesting anyone would be scuba diving as a cat 5 lands on South Florida would be pushing humor a bit far, right?... well think again:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...ws-scuba-diver-rescue/6AvWUO2wANWRW928JTRN5L/
Hey, there wouldn't be any Darwin awards without deserving candidates, right?
I was watching the Weather Channel's coverage from Naples yesterday.
Was waiting for the reporter to just get carried away on a gust while faithful cameraman recorded events from the safety of the van.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear you and your house made it through unscathed Bluesypicky! Hope Dave and Opsimath and everyone else fared well too.

Glad to hear you are all safe.

TX

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So glad to hear you and your house made it through unscathed Bluesypicky! Hope Dave and Opsimath and everyone else fared well too.
Glad to hear you are all safe. TX

Thx TX.
Made it back home from Alabama last night around 10pm.
Extremely happy to see everything exactly as I left it everywhere, inside & out.

Glad to hear that FNG & KOMA made it unscathed. (I knew FNG was out of the way as I was actually staying a few miles West of where he is, but was concerned about KOMA, so, glad to hear he did great also.)
Pretty sure Dave is fine too, I spoke to him before the storm and I see that he kept posting during and after, that's a good sign! :)

Love to hear from CA35, Mellow & Opsimath.

Last edited: