Help... Did Guild make these?

Tommy Salami

Reaction score
Greetings all

I recently acquired a cool obscure amp that I hope to learn more about. It is a 1967 Goya Barracuda 75/212 tube head. These originally were sold with a 2-12" cabinet that seems a bit similar to my Thunderbass cabinet.
If I'm following the history correctly, Guilds parent company acquired ownership of Goya around this time.
Does anyone know anything about this amp???
Thanks

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Need some pics, but l have never heard anything suggesting Guild imported amps. Organs, acoustic amps and effects were sourced elswhere, but they had their own factory. I'm not saying that it may not have happened, but l personally have never seen one, and l have a few Guild amps.

Tommy Salami

Reaction score
Reading my message I think I may not have been clear. My question is if Guild may have produced these for Goya. It says "Made in the USA" on the faceplate ( which might not be true) I'll see if I can post some pics.

Tommy Salami

Reaction score
i6mykDR.jpg

AcNLoq5.jpg

S7Wuq4W.jpg

s4WMhJQ.jpg

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a point-to-point-turrent-board-PCB-hand-wired extravaganza!

Actually, that's no PCB. It looks like the traces were drawn with solder by hand. Too cool. How's it sound?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
While the cabinet's tolex is similar the the beige Thunderbasses, the wiring inside is completely different; the T-Bass has 3 early PCB boards and different wire color schemes.

I don't think they're related.

Tommy Salami

Reaction score
I've not received it yet, should be here next week but needs work so is going to the shop.

Tommy Salami

Reaction score
All I know is that Guild and Goya were both under the ownership of Avnet at this time (mid 60's) I was just guessing there might be a connection ? My only other guess is Hagstrom as there was a Goya connection there as well at one point. Whoever made it took pride in their work I would say.

matsickma

Reaction score
Lots of features on that amp!
Fuzz, Expander, Reverb and Tremelo. Curious what "Expander" function is?!
M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a point-to-point-turrent-board-PCB-hand-wired extravaganza!

Actually, that's no PCB. It looks like the traces were drawn with solder by hand. Too cool. How's it sound?

That's what early pcbs looked like. Huge traces with a lot of solder.

Tommy Salami

Reaction score
Confirmed the tube lay out as 2-6l6, 2-12au7 and 3-12ax7. Also found some info on a vintage Hilgen site that showed some very similar looking construction methods. Piggyback guitar and bass models with hinging heads, inked on serial numbers and wiring lay outs that looked virtually identical. There was even mention of a model where the mic input was marked "Mike" like the Goya.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have peeked into enough Guild Amp Guts(tm), that l am sure that it's not a Guild amp. If Guild made amps for another company, they would have rebadged something already in production. I have a Sonola accordion amp that is nothing other than a rebadged 100-J. Guild pc boards were also more refined.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not really built like a Hilgen, either. I think you should just be happy that you have a cool, unique amp.