Irma

Opsimath

Reaction score
Very scary thing. We're getting our plans in order. Hoping not to have to implement them.

Best wishes to you FNG, as well as anyone else who could be impacted!

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Son is in Jacksonville and a friend just moved to Ft. Lauderdale. His wife is still in PA and she has been lamenting his job change. This doesn't help convince her to move.
M

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Cynthia, what can you do for your horses with the storm coming in?

Hope Pascal checks in as well.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
From Houston our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is in the path or has Family or friends in the path of Irma as she has Florida in her sights. I am hoping for a Turn to the north sooner rather than later and some of the updated models this morning show it may head up the eastern seaboard. Regardless the storm is so big you will feel the effects from it all over the state. Cynthia, FNG, Dapmdave, Fixit, and all of our Florida Members stay safe and Batten Down The Hatches!

TX

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think we might be out of the woods here, but we'll see.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think we might be out of the woods here, but we'll see.

did they change the path projection? will it abruptly turn northeast away from southern FLA as Pascal said in a related thread? that would be fantastic if it veered out and stayed out in ocean. I know Puerto Rico is getting hit now, and path does seem to go over Bahamas too. One of my brother's in New Bedford Ma says a couple projections of Irma heading northeast and up to new england.

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm way up in NW Florida, so it is looking to miss us.

Opsimath

Reaction score
Cynthia, what can you do for your horses with the storm coming in?

Hope Pascal checks in as well.

Hi Jane. Thank you for your concern. Re plans for the horses - evacuate them! We don't take any chances where their safety is concerned. I have family in central Alabama and several members at my mom's church have volunteered their places so we have a few options if we need to get them up there. At this point we're sitting and waiting but it's looking like we'll be okay to stay. I hope so because I have never pulled a horse trailer for a six hour drive - probably longer with horse-laden trailer in tow but we have two trailers and my husband will be pulling one so at least I'll have someone to follow. The second concern is whether gas will be available en route. My sis reports that stations are already running out up there as gas trucks are routed to Florida for the evacuees.

Still praying this thing goes east, east, east, out into the water!

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:

Opsimath

Reaction score
From Houston our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is in the path or has Family or friends in the path of Irma as she has Florida in her sights. I am hoping for a Turn to the north sooner rather than later and some of the updated models this morning show it may head up the eastern seaboard. Regardless the storm is so big you will feel the effects from it all over the state. Cynthia, FNG, Dapmdave, Fixit, and all of our Florida Members stay safe and Batten Down The Hatches!

TX

Thanks, Tx. We all know you are familiar with this situation. Glad you got through your weather pretty much intact and thank you for thinking of Florida as we brace for whatever comes our way.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Gas is hard to find up this way in NW Florida too. I haven't checked on Diesel for my truck yet but hopefully it won't be too hard to find.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just bringing this thread back up to the top to see how everyone is after the storm. I know we have heard from Bluesy in another thread But so far now word from Opsimath, Dave, FNG, Koma, CA-35, and others. Some of the craziest pictures I have ever seen with all of the water getting sucked out of Tampa Bay and Naples as well as other Coastal spots during the storm. I know power is still out in a lot of places and internet may not be up and running in others but check in when you can if you don't mind. I am getting a bit worried about not hearing from you all yet. Hoping and Praying everyone is safe.

TX

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
We got some breezy winds and some drizzle up here on the Redneck Riveria. Dodged the bullet knock on wood. The bands off of Harvey were much worse.

We just moved back here to the Panhandle and I'm almost there as far as my hurricane kit. Generator, gas, lights, cords, food, water storage, etc etc. I was in the Coast Guard, so every time we were stationed in hurricane country and a hurricane was coming, we flew away and left Momma to fend for herself. She's happy I'm sticking around, and although I don't miss flying around hurricanes, I did get a little nostalgic.

I've got some trees that need removed if you ask me, tree guy should be around this Saturday for a look.

The house came with fabric shutters, so I got them out last week to make sure they fit, etc. I was surprised that several neighbors actually put them up. Rookies!

I think Florida dodged a major bullet. Like Tx said, hope everyone is okay.

Last edited:

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Yeah, I live in the same county as FNG and we didn't get squat. Actually, Irma actually brought us cool, almost chilly and very dry weather, and that's something I've never had from a storm, and I've been thru more than I can remember. Very weird. We also had some places where the bays and bayous got sucked dry, but that's happened before.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great to hear from you KOMA and FNG! Glad everything is OK. As far as the chilly breeze and weird dry weather we get it down here south of Houston every time a Hurricane or Tropical storm passes by or hits us and leaves. Before Harvey it was close to 90 at night and at least 100 during the day. Since Harvey left we haven't had a drop of rain and the temps are in the 60's at night and mid 70's to 80's during the days. We normally have a pretty good winter in these parts the winter after a tropical storm hits. Last year we only had one or two weeks where temps were in the 30's and 40's so not much of a winter. In 2008 after Hurricane Ike we actually got a bit of Snow south of Houston on Christmas Eve. Good to hear everything is alright and looking forward to hearing from the rest of the group down there as well!

TX