Mysteries of Playing

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I'm sure this type of thread has been discussed...but, here's goes.
I just spent the past three days at my son's wedding, away from the guitar. Now, I'm back. I just sat down with my D-55 and was amazed twice over. First, that the sound of that f*****r just completely washed over me. It inspired my playing, which, miraculously sounded a lot better than it had when I left for the wedding. So, second, and I'm sure many of you LTGers have experienced the same phenomenon, why is it that most of the time, perhaps not invariably, we play ever so slightly better, after laying off of the axe for some time. Or, am I just imagining it?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I know what you mean.

I think it may be as simple as you just missed playing, and everything about being back with the guitar, the sound, your ability, etc. seemed to be "heightened" as you renewed your passion. If we really got better every time we stopped playing and went back to it, I'd be tempted to take more breaks...

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
3 whole days? Were you experiencing GWS? (Guild Withdrawal Syndrome.) LOL

I don't know, sometimes mine just absolutely sings to me and other times I have to put it away because I can't seem to coax a good sound out of it. I'm sure it has more to do with my mood and attitude than anything.

It does seem to open up a bit after I have a couple ice-cold Founders Centennial IPA's...

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Walrus and dreadnut,
Thanks for your wisdom. Of course, you're both right. Still, it's a bit mysterious; which makes it a damn pleasant experience. BTW, dreadnut, we visited Marquette, MI, up by UP (Upper Peninsula) this August. OMG, what a beautiful area!

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...If we really got better every time we stopped playing and went back to it, I'd be tempted to take more breaks...
(I can hear the marketing pitch, now...)

Revolutionize your guitar skills! Become the guitarist you always wanted to be: Play less, sound better!

(You'd make a fortune) :wink-new:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...It inspired my playing…
You have uncovered the mystery. I believe that you were correct in recognizing that you actually played better, and it was not a matter of perception. Inspiration, not the lack of playing, is responsible for taking you to new heights. It can come in many forms (change of strings, change in scenery, change in life, etc) and you have just to find those ways that inspire you in order to accelerate the process.

(Edit: Those are also the moments we should be recording, but typically aren't.)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Marquette, wow Rich you were WAY up north! It really is beautiful up there, the colors are changing now.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
You have uncovered the mystery. I believe that you were correct in recognizing that you actually played better, and it was not a matter of perception. Inspiration, not the lack of playing, is responsible for taking you to new heights. It can come in many forms (change of strings, change in scenery, change in life, etc) and you have just to find those ways that inspire you in order to accelerate the process.

(Edit: Those are also the moments we should be recording, but typically aren't.)

Christopher,
I think you're on to something. I only have a rudimentary recording ability, using the mic in the desktop. How can I plug my Sennhaiser mic into my computer. It won't be stereo, but....it's not a condenser mic.

Dreadnut,
The colors are changing already? Wow!

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
...How can I plug my Sennhaiser mic into my computer..
Rich, you will want a device in between your microphone and your computer known as an "audio interface". It will contain one or more "channels" into which you can plug your mic or guitar pickup. You will connect the audio interface to your computer and, using any one of several available software applications, you can embark on yet a whole 'nother adventure. ;~}

As you might expect, there are audio interfaces available to suit every need, want and budget. Today, there are scores of interfaces available for under $100 (as well as those that soar into the thousands). These devices are essentially "mixers" specifically designed to communicate with your computer. Many now come "bundled" with software to help get you started.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
(I can hear the marketing pitch, now...)

Revolutionize your guitar skills! Become the guitarist you always wanted to be: Play less, sound better!

(You'd make a fortune) :wink-new:
Christopher, this is my new favorite wisdom. No, honestly. Sometimes I realize I'm a **** guitarist and vocalist and I just give up. Then I get just enough ENHANCED to come home and play and guess what? I'm AMAZING!! And that inspires me to try more and work harder and ... then the cycle starts all over..... It's like deja vu...... all over again..... :surprise:

Bless our heats, you know? :applause:

MLBob

Reaction score
"The essential thing ‘in heaven and earth’ is . . . that there should be long obedience in the the same direction ; there thereby results, and has always resulted in the long run, something which has made life worth living."
- Nietzsche

Rich (et all):

Lately, I've heard this phrase about "long obedience in the same direction"used by everyone from a guy who has written a book on discipleship (used it as the title) to Bono describing the genius of B.B. King.

Don't know who should get credit for it, but I really like the implications that go along with the concept. Those of us who joyfully chip away at any sort of creative pastime - regardless of the level of proficiency we will ultimately achieve - can usually appreciate the concept of "long obedience in the same direction."

As for those days when it all seems to come together, regardless of whether we can attribute it to fresh strings, the right settings on the DI box, a good day for our arthritic fingers.....whatever - - I'm just going to be greatful that they do happen, and keep enjoying 'em when they do. :applouse::applouse::applouse::applouse::applouse:

I remember reading an article about a college athlete who was an excellent triple jumper and who also majored in fine arts and was a painter. He spoke of his passion for triple-jumping in terms of his experience as a painter and said something like : " You paint a lot of pictures, and every once in a while you might hit a masterpiece."
Just keep on playing and enjoying all that goes with it!

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
MLBob, this is very similar to an interview I read with guitarist John McLaughlin. Something to the effect that if he can hit that "nirvana" of playing "without consciousness", even for a few minutes per show, it makes it all worthwhile.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So, second, and I'm sure many of you LTGers have experienced the same phenomenon, why is it that most of the time, perhaps not invariably, we play ever so slightly better, after laying off of the axe for some time. Or, am I just imagining it?

I first noticed it in my early '20's when I'd play every day for a couple of weeks and then if I took a couple of days off it was like the dogs were rarin' to hunt again.
So I started doin' it on purpose before busking weekends.
I figured it's just something to do with exercising the "playing neurons", and after a couple of days of rest they fire up more readily than usual, or maybe just "feel better".
I think even professional sports players tap into the same thing: practice hard every day for a stretch and then take a day off just before the game, just do some light exercise instead of running plays.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good interface for guitar directly or a mic input.

https://reverb.com/p/line-6-pod-stu...VCqhpCh2d0g-iEAQYBCABEgI0-_D_BwE&hfid=6317660

New they are $149. The link to Reverb shows a wide range of low prices for used ones. I would make sure it still has the install disc. The cool studio effects and tools are installed with a license, so you may not be able to get those installed, since the previous user probably used it to install those programs the 1st time.