Bluesbird to Nightengale conversion...can it be done?

matsickma

Reaction score
So after looking at a Nightengale I wondered if it is possible to convert a Bluesbird into a "poor's man" Nightengale. Occasionally a Bluesbird can be found at a reasonable price.

The question is can you route the body and keep the finish intact without cracking. Might even consider adding binding around the cutout.

Just curious if it can be done. I get the impression that pickup cutouts are done after a guitar is finished. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Tnx,
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anything is possible, but in my mind you'd end up with one of those "What were they thinking?" Guilds that show up on eBay from time to time.

It's certainly possible to route a finished guitar, but I'd want it to be done but a seriously pro shop.

This is your pic I believe. A Nightingale-90 isn't good enough for you? Damn!

IMG_2207.jpg

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Well GAD you called me out!
Didn't know that picture was still hanging about. Actually I was playing the Bluesbird then the faux Nightengale P90 and started to think of the mod. Interesting the Bluesbird 90 and faux Nightengale 90 are different enough in tone and feel that it would be hard to decide which to keep if I could only have one. I am sure I would keep the Nightengale 90 because it is one-of-a-kind but the Bluesbird 90 is a great guitar. Love the neck.

Had a real nice spruce top Nightbird years ago but wasn't interested in the EMG tone out of that guitar. Like EMG's but not on a high end Nightbird.

M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, if you ever decide to part with that Nightingale, please do let me know. DIBS! :)