Photobucket blocking fix

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom, I haven't googled anything yet, but bottom line is this a temporary fix which photobucket will disable or is this something that will last? Obviously, I'm dubious.

Sal

Reaction score
Do I understand this correctly, this fix would only work for the person viewing images posted via photobucket? So, if you're posting images for others to see, everyone else would have to install the fix too? Imgur really is free and easy. I think it's time for me to bail on photobucket.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I worry about anything that's free. That's how Photobucket started, and look how that turned out. Of course, Image Shack was free too, but now I pay for it, but nowhere NEAR $400!! In fact, less than a tenth of that. So much history and archive photos we lost here because of Photobucket. Still makes me angry!!

silverfox103

Reaction score
Do I understand this correctly, this fix would only work for the person viewing images posted via photobucket? So, if you're posting images for others to see, everyone else would have to install the fix too? Imgur really is free and easy. I think it's time for me to bail on photobucket.

No, what it means is, that you can view other peoples pictures that have been blocked.

So much history and archive photos we lost here because of Photobucket. Still makes me angry!!

If you install this Tom, you will be able to view all the photobucket pictures that have the "dial". As you have done, you still want another spot to hang your new pictures, but you will be able to see the old stuff.........free.

I worry about anything that's free.

Yeah, I know Tom, actually I kind of feel the same way. If it's free, it must have no value; but in this case, free is good.

Tom

Last edited:

Sal

Reaction score
No, what it means is, that you can view other peoples pictures that have been blocked.

Yes "you" can view everything from photobucket if you've downloaded the fix, but others can't view anything if they haven't. So for the purposes of posting images for others on chat forums to see, photobucket is kinda kaput. Unless you pay the annual fee.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll check that out. There are some pics that l would love to save that other people posted.

Sal

Reaction score
Sal, you're missing the whole point.
Sorry Tom, maybe I am. I'm not seeing how this "fix" is a practical solution for posting images here on LTG or any other internet forum if the only people who can see the images are those who have downloaded the fix.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry Tom, maybe I am. I'm not seeing how this "fix" is a practical solution for posting images here on LTG or any other internet forum if the only people who can see the images are those who have downloaded the fix.

I know nothing but what I read here. If someone links their photos on Photobucket to LTG and the linker has not purchased premium service then the photos will not be visible. If an LTGer has installed the fix then they will see the photos even if the poster has not paid for premium hosting. But LTGers who have not installed the fix won't see the photos.

If I am correct then this is not a universal fix but it is still useful for content that was on Photobucket and is currently not visible.

silverfox103

Reaction score
Sal,

This isn't a fix for everything, but it does have value. I would guess most of us, aren't going to reload all the pictures that we have posted, so what this does, is allow one to see pictures from the old photobucket days, where we now see the dial. One still needs to figure out where to hang their pictures from now going forward. If you were to search for an old thread looking for pictures of a certain guitar, with this "work around" you now can see them instead of the dial.

Can you imagine if Joe would have to reload all his pictures, that's not happening. Now he doesn't need him to reload them, I can see them (not sure if he uses photobucket, just an example).

Hopefully that is a little clearer. I should have explained better. Usually, I don't get stuff like this, but for some reason it clicked.

Tom

Last edited:

Sal

Reaction score
Thanks Tom and Frono. So I did understand it correctly. :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sal,

Can you imagine if Joe would have to reload all his pictures, that's not happening. Now he doesn't need him to reload them, I can see them (not sure if he uses photobucket, just an example).

To Sal's point, this does not keep Joe from needing to reload his pics so long as his goal is for you (or anyone with the fix) to see the pics.

To summarize, this is a fix for the viewer, not for the owner of the photos. It is a way for some people to see around the problem, but it is not a universal solution and thus does not "solve" the problem in a significant way.

Don't get me wrong - it's still very cool and I love a solution that sticks it to the evil that is Photobucket. What it would do is allow someone who can't access their photos to get around that, download the photos via hotlinking, and move on from Photobucket, which is awesome.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Downloaded all the amp sticky pics, trolling through the rest of the posts for more hidden gold.

Sal

Reaction score
Yes, Tom this is indeed a cool fix for viewing old stuff. Photobucket became so difficult to even work with, all the advertisements brought its pages to a crawl.