Martin Retro Monel Strings

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
These strings have a certain magic, a sound and feel all their own, that would be difficult for me to translate over text. definitely warm, sweet, mellow...perfect for mahogany top D-25 & M-20 (others im sure too but thats all ive tried!)

But my real reason for this post, is to share the fact that these are unquestionably the absolutley longest lasting strings I have ever known of. even if you like old/dead strings. These are just next level. 2 years easy before I begin to even question if a new set will sound better. closer to 3 years for both sound and feel to noticeably change, and they are still very playable and sounding real nice, even at that point. It has been at least 3 years on one D-25, and although by my standards a string change is certainly due, it is still far from mandatory. still quite playable and sounds just fine. my mind is blown with the lifespan of these strings.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And they're not even coated.

I'll have to try these someday. Maybe a 12-string set on my Orpheum for more old-timey sound.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
they are nickel (or a nickel-based alloy at least).
not bronze, or phosphor, or silk, or steel...
that must be the main difference. other strings are different from each other, but none are like this, especially feel-wise. the John Pearse sound similar but feel different (perhaps better feel than the Martins) but are maybe 6 months-1 year if u play regularly. the Martins are just indestructible. Chaz id try them on a 12er to cut down on string changes, sounds like a brutal job to do on the regular!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is the beauty of Monel, It doesn't rust or corrode like other metals do. I too like these strings for finger picking on some of my "Darker" guitars as they ad just enough sparkle and attack while picking with the meat of my fingers. When using a pick though they can get quite bright pretty quick.

TX

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
My band mate started using Martin Retro strings a few weeks ago. We all like the way that they sound on his guitar.
So much that I went out and purchased 3 sets to try on some of my guitars.

I will report back when I string them up.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I gave 3 packs away , what ? I had extra ! :p

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And they're not even coated.

I'll have to try these someday. Maybe a 12-string set on my Orpheum for more old-timey sound.

I was not aware that they had made a 12 string set as I have a few sets left for 6 strings. Sure enough they are now making 12 string sets. Their Extra Light 12 string set is the same as Daddario's light 12 string sets being 10-47's. I just ordered a few sets of the Monel 12 string extra lights, I will post how they do on my Orpheum 12 string and one of my F512's in a week or two.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just strung up my Orpheum 000 12 fret Slot Head Rosewood 12 String (say that 5 times fast, LOL!) with the Martin Retro Monel Extra Light 12 string set and I really like them so far. I play my Orpheum 12 1/2 step down from standard tuning and these strings really add some Crisp low end to the guitar. The Bottom end is fat but crystal clear instead of muffled like the coated strings I had been using. The mids and highs sound great as well and there seems to be that "Sparkle" in the overall tone I was missing before. They sound great finger picking or flat picking as well as strummed with a pick or just my thumb. I will give it a few days for them to set in and report back if there are any changes. So far they get an A+.

Has me curious if I should maybe try a set on one of my F512s in the near future? Then I could A/B the F512s with one having the uncoated Phosphor Bronze strings I normally use and one having the Martin Retro Monels. Very interesting.

TX

Last edited:

tjmangum

Reaction score
I've had them on my DV-52 for a year or so and still sounds the same. These are great for the right guitars.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I completely Agree TJ. I love them on my Orpheum Jumbo and the Monel just doesn't wear like other alloys used for strings. Monel has been used for a very long time in piping systems that carry highly caustic chemicals and such due to its resistance to wear. I used to be certified to weld it in the field and the preparation process as well as the welding process is completely different from other alloys in the way it has to be heat treated and under purge to prevent oxygen and other contaminants from getting into the metal while you are welding. Then after you are done welding it has to be slowly brought down off of heat treat to temper it properly. The process to weld it is very tedious but if it is done right the stuff lasts forever. Great Material for Guitar strings in my opinion.

TX

fuman

Reaction score
I put them on my maple Taylor GS. I hated them at first, but the next day, they were magic. As you say, they last forever. They still sounded great when I took them off after more than a month, and I only took them off because I am in the process of trying different strings and I wanted to compare them while they still sounded good. I like them better than the nickel bronze, aluminum bronze and Elixir PBs I have tried since ( I went back to Elixirs and am still not a fan) and I already bought another set of Monels.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I have had the Retro strings on one of my guitars for almost 2 weeks now.
I love them on it.
I liked them when first strung up and I like them even more after a few days of playing them.
I chose to try them on my Martin D-35 first.
It just made sense.

I will try them on my Guild D-55 on the next string change it gets.
That will be a while though because the D-55 is strung with Martin Lifespan strings and they last a very long time.
I like the tone that the Lifespan strings offer over the Elixir strings that I have tried in the past.

I will also give the Retro strings a try out on my 12 string next change.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had some sub-optimal experiences with the Martin Tony Rice monel strings, depending on the individual guitar.

How similar/different are the Retros to the Tony Rice strings? Or are they the same thing?

bobouz

Reaction score
Yes, I think a bit "dark" would be a reasonable way to characterize them. I put a set on a small bodied Gibson (LG-2), and they sound pretty good. On a larger body, my take is that they tend to get a little "tubby" sounding - but of course each guitar is different, as may be the tone our ears prefer to hear.

Because they do sound different from other long established string types, imho, they're worth experimenting with.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I had some sub-optimal experiences with the Martin Tony Rice monel strings, depending on the individual guitar.

How similar/different are the Retros to the Tony Rice strings? Or are they the same thing?

They are the same strings as the Tony Rice Monels. The biggest difference I have found from set to set of the Monels is their performance in regards to the packaging they come in. I had a few sets of Martin Retro Monels that came in individual unsealed boxes and even though they are the exact same string they did not sound the same or nearly as good as the sets that came in the vacuum sealed packages. If I am buying them now in person I always grab the Vacuum sealed packages and if I am ordering them from Musician's friend or Amazon online I make sure to verify they are in the vacuum sealed packages before I buy them. Given that Monel doesn't really corrode this difference in performance related to the packaging has puzzled me a bit but if it works don't mess with it right?

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Given that Monel doesn't really corrode this difference in performance related to the packaging has puzzled me a bit but if it works don't mess with it right?

TX

I'd see that as evidence there really is some difference between the strings even if Martin doesn't cop to it.
Possible difference in alloy, or maker, or date of manufacture which is "betrayed" by the way they're packaged.
If the unsealed packs are becoming scarcer than the sealed ones then I'd guess that they're earlier and are subject to degradation from exposure.
Just some speculation based on observing similar practices in other products.
My favorite example was when Fender changed the old D'Addario-made Guild L350 sets to the newer gauge mix and used their MIM captive maker, but didn't change the name of the set or the look of the packaging.
The only giveaway on the package was that the "good" (D'Addario) L350's used an .026 G but the newer ones used and showed an .024 G.
Hell they even left the old spec up on the website without ever changing it until Guild got back into the string business after getting out of it for a couple of years.

Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I've been trying out Pyramid's monel wound electric guitar strings lately, and loving them. Not as bright as nickel plated steel, not as dark as pure nickel, and yes, they seem to last longer than both too.

F312

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try Pyramid strings, may be the only strings I haven't tried.

Ralph

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
So after 3 days with Retro strings on my Guild D-55, I have to say that I like these strings on my Martin D-35 a lot more than I do on my Guild D-55.
Looks like I will go back to Martin Lifespan strings on my Guild after the Retro strings are ready to be replaced.