A very long project is finally done !

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
Very nice! I have a continuing car project of my own, a '66 Coupe DeVille, and they can be major time eaters. I also have an 06 Mustang which I find is still a very simple car compared to most more modern cars.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool , brings a tear to my eye . Sorry to hear about your Mom , and another tear of joy at the father and son project . Car looks great and memories sad and good make it all come together , not sure one could ask for more . Hugs and congrats ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, here are some cell phone shots.

FinalDash.JPG

OH LORD original factory air, there's something I haven't seen for years!
Since I used to cruise with my best buddy in high school, in fact.
Talk about pushing the nostalgia button!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Super cool!

When I was a kid our neighbor Virginia had a red '66 Mustang convertible. She bought it new and kept it going into the early '90s. During winter it stayed in her garage, and it was always exciting for me and my childhood friends when she backed it into the driveway for the first time in spring. 'Cuz we knew we were gonna get rides! Over the years it got engine and transmission upgrades but otherwise it was pretty much original.

Besides red, baby/powder blue is my fav Mustang color. :)

-Dave-

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well Done John! My father never got the chance to participate in my Mustang project but there were enough other in the family - Aunt - 65 convertible 289 2bl auto, Uncle 66 fastback 2+2 289 hi-po 4 spd, little brother 67 hardtop 289 2bl auto, sister 68 302 4bl 4spd, father 70 hardtop 302 2bl auto plus mine - 69 sportsroof Mach 1 351Windsor 4 bl auto. First Gen Mustangs rate high in my book. And if you are hard core and have the dollars, you can now purchase a complete modern rolling chassis, a fabricated 67 body (Revology) and add a modern Coyote V8 ( or a old school big block 428) under the nose for a real "sleeper". It warms ,y heart to know you could spend time like that with the family together and build both the car and the memories. Outsdanding!!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steve,

You have a lot of Mustang history ! My sister has the 66 that my brother bought in HS, that may have a few parts from my 66 that I bashed up too much and it turned into a parts car. My Dad has a 65 Convertable that he put a fuel injected 302 into.

I'm trying to get the best stopping power out of manual front disks. I used a 73 Maverick dual master cylinder to help things along. Got any tips ? :) Dad says I should just go power brakes. I'm holding off on that.

beecee

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the best stopping power out of manual front disks. I used a 73 Maverick dual master cylinder to help things along. Got any tips ? :) Dad says I should just go power brakes. I'm holding off on that.

I have a 61 Chevy and a 70 MGB-GT. The best way to increase stopping power?

Lots of squats with heavy weights!!!

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry John. The Mach was equipped with power discs, as were the rest in the immediate family (67, 68 & 70). If you have plans for this as a daily driver I highly suggest that disc brake conversion. Better feel, much better braking, less maintenance..... and they do not mind getting wet (within reason).

As a side note, if you have power steering and the hose from the control valve hangs down under the car (like so many do) it is on wrong! I had a problem with the seals on the valve and got where I could pull the valve, rebuild it and re-install it in about an hour without mucking up the alignment. It takes some caressing but when it is aligned correctly it stays up out of the way.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have front disc brakes, from the factory. No power brakes, and while the car MAY have come with power steering , it didn't have it , when I bought it.

I think EVERYONE has trouble with that power steering ram. That, and trying to get a power steering pump to NOT groan, when you use it in the parking lot. That's why I'm going without. I have the steering box for power steering, but I just put a 15" steering wheel on it, to help.