Duane Eddy 1965 in eBay - is it like it should ?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I spotted this Duane Eddy 1965 in eBay - article # 322569675025

Three things bug me - I used to have 1963 model - sold it some twenty years ago and still think time to time I should nota have done it - oh well.

Starting at peghead - mine had tuners that were like open-back covered with a stamped sheet-metal cup with ornaments - plastic-kind diamond-shape knobs - definitevly not Grover like in this one

Pick-ups were single-coil white DeArmonds - this has pick-ups like newer Starfires.

Pickguard was curvy - much like in acoustics - with golden stripe on outside edge - and there was Duane Eddy signature on it - this has pickguard like Starfire

Since I do not have the book Hans wrote, I ask here if this one is correct and if so, when were things changed.

I still have the original Duane Eddy bridge here somewhere - I replaced it with adjustable Guild bridge at time.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello

I spotted this Duane Eddy 1965 in eBay - article # 322569675025

Three things bug me - I used to have 1963 model - sold it some twenty years ago and still think time to time I should nota have done it - oh well.

Starting at peghead - mine had tuners that were like open-back covered with a stamped sheet-metal cup with ornaments - plastic-kind diamond-shape knobs - definitevly not Grover like in this one

Pick-ups were single-coil white DeArmonds - this has pick-ups like newer Starfires.

Pickguard was curvy - much like in acoustics - with golden stripe on outside edge - and there was Duane Eddy signature on it - this has pickguard like Starfire

Since I do not have the book Hans wrote, I ask here if this one is correct and if so, when were things changed.

I still have the original Duane Eddy bridge here somewhere - I replaced it with adjustable Guild bridge at time.

Nuuska, I think Hans would be happy to give you his feedback directly on something like this, he prefers to get emails at his website if he doesn't reply here quickly:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
And I think a link to the actual auction woudl be helpful, dont nkow if he'll be able to look it up by article number.
Good luck and I suspect you've correctly ID'd non-original parts.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not to speak for Hans but a lot changed at Guild between 1963 and 1965.

Here is my 1966:

rt002.jpg

The three things you mentioned, should be correct for a '65. Besides those things, the top of the headstock probably changed from the "lip top" to "crown".

While the pickguard shape is right, it probably should have the Duane Eddy signature on it. (Or at least the Guild star!) Also, not sure about the pick-up selector switch, I don't think it should have a black plastic tip, I would think it should be metal.

Last edited:

X-170AB

Reaction score
Your 66 is gorgeous, but I would really like you to post some of these 1063 models, to compare the materials used then by native Indians. :tongue-new:

Hey, are you tryin' to be some sort of Rebel Rouser!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

matsickma

Reaction score
I have a later model...think 1967, and it doesn't have the DE name on the pickguard. Mine is one with the red wooden headstock covers that Guild used for a limited time in the later '60s.

M

parker_knoll

Reaction score
it should have the DE sig on the pickguard. I would guess the pickguard is a replacement. Also, i can second that the pickup selector should have a metal tip. This is easily rectified. It also looks like the nut is a replacement since it's graphite instead of bone.

The guitar is in a shop in London which I know. They have their own website and if you are interested I would advise contacting them through the shop to negotiate a better price. It's already cheaper there, but those prices are always starting points.

http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/guitarshop/1965_Duane_Eddie.html