it is amazing to me

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
how someone can figure out enough online/on a computer, to post a FS w pictutes and all, be it ebay, craigslist, reverb, etc....and not take an extra 30 seconds to google how to find the date/year the guitar or amp was made. I have always been facinated by this. just chose today to share this random thought with the group. someone selling a Fender amp lists it at 1976 and its actually 1972. someone selling a Guild guitar says 1971 and its 1975. some stuff i know is tricky to date, but most stuff can be pinpointed in less than 5 minutes online. its like, you are selling what you think is a $1,000 guitar. would it be worth an extra five minutes to find out if maybe its worth $1,500? or $1,200? or even $1,050??? an amp with a tailed fender logo cannot be from 1976, its just not possible. that is literally a one second check. A D-25 from 1971 cannot have an arched back, another one second check. sure u have to get the information first, but thats like 5 minutes. i could understand if you didnt know how to use a computer at all whatsoever, but if u are on ebay, reverb, craigslist, etc, and u have made it that far...

some people just dont get it. I was once in a GC and this employee said "please play this guiitar, check it out we cleaned it up and set it up for this guy, and his debit card got declined I really need to sell it." It was actually a really nice Fender Lead guitar. I asked her "do you know what year its from?" she said "its 1971." now Im standing there with 3 other people, and this is actually a really nice USA Fender guitar, but i look at the young lady employee (maybe 20 years old) and say "that sounds like a mix up, you may need to double check that or run the serial number again, because, there is no way on earth this guitar is from 1971." she went and checked and of course corrected herself "I'm so sorry, it is 1981!". now this made me feel old because all along I knew her mistake was an innocent one, and at that moment I realized, she was young enough, that in her mind...there was little, if any, difference between 1971 and 1981 (generally speaking). she was polite but at the same time sort of like "does that really make a difference?" and in essence, really it should not, if the instrument speaks to you, it was still USA etc...but we all know it does. She actually did a great job on the guitar, and someone did buy it that day, but I just feel like, you work in a guitar store, and you are focusing on this one specific guitar...get it together! I was cool about it, but some other people may have given her a hard time.

ok /end rant.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I still get blown away by Guild guitar pricing online too. Especially D25s for 1500 or more. Rare birds etc. It is quite amusing.

Example on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/5285107-guild-d25-usa-corona-2003-cherry

crazy.
In defense of that particular seller... that D-25 is in France. Prices for Guilds (and probably lots of other things) are substantially higher in Europe and Japan.

But I know what you mean... and have seen state-side D-25s listed at over $1K, and I just shake my head and move on...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My dad ask me how much did that cost ?
I said 2 bucks he looked at the tag and corrected me it cost 1.95 haha

You just love guitars but I appreciate having the correct info along with the correct price or worth .

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Along the same lines, if one puts up "pictures", shouldn't they at the very least be IN FOCUS????

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In defense of that particular seller... that D-25 is in France. Prices for Guilds (and probably lots of other things) are substantially higher in Europe and Japan.

ah, missed that one Dave, thanks for the catch. I am sure there will be another culprit i can cite soon enough :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Neal

Reaction score
My pet peeve?

10 photos, all out of focus, five of the top, two of the fretboard and three of the case! As if the back of the guitar doesn't matter. And no close-ups of the bridge/saddle or action at the 12-th fret.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
My pet peeve?

10 photos, all out of focus, five of the top, two of the fretboard and three of the case! As if the back of the guitar doesn't matter. And no close-ups of the bridge/saddle or action at the 12-th fret.

Yup yup yup

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My pet peeve?

They do that to get your curiosity all stimulated.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
how about a $3,000 acoustic sold online, presumably to shipped...that "includes gigbag"

really??

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
some people just dont get it. ok /end rant.

No idea what you guys are talking about :biggrin-new:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/d/guild-dor74-acoustic-usa/6284262183.html

TCdKuH6.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sometimes I don't know enough to do the research and sometimes when I do it takes me about ten times more than five minutes.

Sometimes I prefer not to do or share the research because if I am wrong my error creates a liability for me, the seller, that does not exist if I had made no comment. Buyer beware?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I don't know enough to do the research and sometimes when I do it takes me about ten times more than five minutes.
I'm of the opinion that only about 15% of the general population people know how to do a search with efficient delimiters, but the percentage seems to be even lower with online sellers or sellers in general, no snark intended.
(And present company excluded. I'm sure you know how to do an efficient search but even then the results may require reading a bunch of redundant or useless returns)
So I do have a little tolerance for the layman who may not even realize how complicated something like guitar history could actually be.
I certainly didn't before I joined up here.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm of the opinion that only about 15% of the general population people know how to do a search with efficient delimiters, but the percentage seems to be even lower with online sellers or sellers in general, no snark intended.
(And present company excluded. I'm sure you know how to do an efficient search but even then the results may require reading a bunch of redundant or useless returns)
So I do have a little tolerance for the layman who may not even realize how complicated something like guitar history could actually be.
I certainly didn't before I joined up here.

Long, long ago I was researching a friend's 70's D50 or D55. (I forget things). It was an extremely frustrating experience because the first several hundred search attempts (exaggeration for effect) did nothing but teach me of the existence of the MIC GAD line and that I had to figure out how to separate the new, currently in production instruments from the vintage. I did not have a serial number for much of the search and there was initially some doubt about the model. At the time I was a government contractor and if my employer had charged the government for my time then the bill would have been over $500, giving me something in common with gold plated toilet seats.

I won't even mention that there are multiple search engines available and they don't all index the same data/sites.